Is It Tough Being a Friend?

Dex-chan lover
@Sniperking that's actually part of it, but I cant go into detail cuz I dont know how to do that spoiler tag thing.

I do.
t. mod

And keep in mind that its been a while since I read it, so my memories are a bit fuzzy. So the big issue is that the MC doesnt seem to acknowledge that he's dealing with real people and real problems. To him they are characters in a story, set to play a role. Now that wouldnt be an issue, except that nobody seems to want to play the role he thinks they have to. So he does his best to twist and manipulate them to make it happen as he thinks it should. The situation you brought up is a good example. The demon. Basically a final boss is inside him. Upon discovering that, he decides that it's his fate to be the final boss, and is determined to fill that role. But the issue is that the demon doesnt want to fill that role, it wants to be good. But he cant accept that. He has to have things play out as he wants it to, regardless of the wishes of others, not caring if the outcome causes others suffering. He claims to be a supporting character, but it seems that he only really cares about the story he's deluded himself into following. And the main girl. He's unable to straight up tell her his feelings, so he just keeps stringing her along and letting her think he cares about her while he is planning to set himself up as her enemy.

@SonicDisgaea98 you have a point , i started reading it today and i'm halfway through volume 2. although in his defense this is the only way he can find find meaning with his life. he is aware that he wasn't born to be the protagonist so he completely devotes himself to being the best suppoter he can be. But if there is no hero for him to support he loses his meaning for exisiting.
hell he decided to die on the spot to advance the story.
. to do the the spoiler tag thing look for an eye with a slash across it then just type within the tags

Dex-chan lover
At the end of the day, he's just delusional. Like, I get his reasons, but its cruel, and unfair to everyone around him and it infuriates me
like this?

Honestly, I have no idea where the manga is gonna go from here. It had a strong start, and I'd hate to see it going down the overdone rom-com with "crazy twists" route. Personally, I think that the manga would've been better without the whole crossdressing thing. But who knows, maybe it's gonna get better?

Double-page supporter
If it wasn't for the cross dressing tag spring it I would have thought it was a BL... Almost disappointed that it wasn't

@SonicDisgaea98 novel reader here (up to volume 69. It's practically like you explain it. From what I've read the guy has no morals whatsoever when it comes to advancing his dream plot.
Furthermore,
at no point in the story his delusions have become relevant to reality (thus the consequences they create remain unnecessary). He continues to set himself as a side character and acts like his plot outline is some sort of unbreakable law and this has on multiple occasions caused harm to other characters. Instead of actively seeking to help his 'friends' he instead hides information so they follow the plot he has set for the story. Every volume is about him finding out something the girls don't know and instead of realizing the danger or the mistakes the girls are committing, he hides it and the situation escalates because he's unwilling to take action. What's worse, the story has continued this narrative without ever questioning it or pointing out how wrong it is.

@SonicDisgaea98 @bonkleboi
Thanks for the info guys, i find these type of characters the worst (and he's the 'protragonist' to boot), at least Kouki in Arifureta, after a good beating, realized that. I was gonna read it, but i really can't stand these types. Also, for what you two can see it, there's a chance he'll perceive that or he'll gonna go with this behavior till he end?

Dex-chan lover
@Razeel if he was gonna change I think 69 volumes would have been enough for it to happen. I dont think there's any hope. Which is a shame. I really wanted to like this series, but I just cant because of the MC.

The mc might change but he is too stubborn to do it anytime soon.
Maybe he will realize he is the mc one day.

Group Leader
This is kind of a bad rename (to 'Is it Tough Being a Friend?' ). I'm not one of those people who cares about Japanese title vs English title - whatevah.

But losing the 'Character' loses half the meaning of the title and gives it a shoujo feel. It should at least be 'Isn't it Tough Being the Friend Character?' or even, sure 'Is it Tough Being a Friend Character?' But the whole point is that he's playing that cliche Character, you need that in the title in any language.

Fed-Kun's army
Lol love the update. Also for the bs novel reader saying they’ve read 69 volumes of this series, it’s only 9 volumes long in the country of origin so get out of here with your omniscient knowledge. Not going to say you’re wrong about what he’s been like up through volume 6 epilogue, but lol.

The series is pretty great overall, definitely found a lot of the moments pretty amusing. Love the supporting character, what was his name again Nabata? Komiya?

Users who are viewing this thread