Isekai Demo Bunan ni Ikitai Shoukougun - Ch. 13

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, my rule of thumb for this sort of thing would be: if you wouldn't introduce an actual Japanese citizen named Suzume as "Sparrow," then you probably shouldn't translate a name awkwardly into English here either.

tl;dr version: Translating names is awkward, in situations where localization isn't being forced [eg, commercial release]. If we're insisting on translating names, a more reasonable option for her name would be Lovetta. Wolfe is entirely unsuitable for her name, given its usage and structure.

long version:
Haaaaaaaaaaaaa- that's sure an awkward name they went with. Rather, this is why it's standard in non-commercial translations to *not* translate names, unless it's a non-person name with a preexisting localized form [eg, country names- using the English name of "Germany" in place of the local German form of "Deutschland", for example] as you can end up with names that completely don't match the original intention. That, and it's rude towards real people, but we can ignore that fact for non-biographical literary translations. Even more notable, however, is the fact that the current translation is completely inappropriate to begin with:

The female form of Wolf is Wolfess. Standardized femine forms of Wolf would be Wolfette or Wolfine. For an American-English translation, given the pitch of Urufue, Wolfine would be the best match by phoentics, despite such being a somewhat forced relation. British/Scottish English has an actual name of "Lovetta" meaning "female wolf cub" that would make for an intuitive association, and wouldn't feel out of place to non-UK English speakers, making it the best overall option. Both Lovetta and Urufue end with an exhalation, so they'd also share about as much phonetic similarity as Wolfine and Urufue do, meaning that Lovetta can be deemed to have a decisive advantage over other options.

Wolfe, on the other hand, is a masculine proper name or a surname- thus, it's completely unsuitable. For an ideal name translation, you'd have a situation similar to converting Hans into John, where there's actually a firmly associated parallel [both derive from Johannes, and thus are considered equatable]. As this situation doesn't have that, the next step would be to look into similar localized names- that gives us Lovetta. Had that not been found, the next step would have been to go for standardized feminine forms (ie, Wolfine or Wolfette/Wolfetta) or the female variation of the base noun (ie, Wolfess or She-wolf, though the latter is unpalatable as a proper name).

Here, on the other hand, it seems the translator just picked a completely random similar-sounding name without any consideration to its existing usage or phoentic-based gender-associations. Take the name "Hans". Female forms would be Hansina. Hanne, Hanna, or Hannah. Let's assume the "Hannah" variants don't exist (as those can be converted directly to begin with), and we're left with just Hansina. When attempting to translate Hansina to English, the translator's "Wolfe" would be vaguely similar to going for "Hank" [in that they seem to have just picked a random similar-sounding masculine name]. Ultimately. it's a very out-of-place choice. [Irrelevant side-note for the curious, the English version of Hansina would likely be Joanne/Joanna/etc, as that's the female variation of John/Jon/etc.]

As a final, personal note, I'm rather partial to Urufue. It's like someone took the raw canine wildness of ursa, and blended it with the soft, mystical side of forest imagery. It's a rather perfect name for <cute she-wolf>. Lovetta may hold to roughly the same association by meaning, but by phonetics, I'm definitely more partial to Urufue (for this particular character).

Dex-chan lover
From page 36 to page 37 there seems to be something missing. He is talking about "she" but i got no idea whats going on.

Double-page supporter
This dude said "I'm becoming a normie, no, the edgelord is still within"

Contributor
Wolfe? Really? Urufue is already bad enough, but Wolfe brings it to a new level of bad naming sense...

He should have called her something with Moon, like Yue, Luna, Yuemi, Lunaris, Lunaria or the like~

hmm. I'm starting to ship our mc with the king..their aura just seem compatible lol It's a bit dark and ruthless, if you know what i mean...

bro my dog has a better name with thoughts put into it than wolfe's name

putting that aside, from what i can gather it seems like there's some corruption inside the MC's heart, the same corruption that consumed the previous japanese demon lords

@islamabat221
there's no way we was holding these chapters
My sides hurt
71un7v.gif

Sticking with the English name here is a mistake, because "Wolfe" is a male name. Just use the actual name they came up with. ;)

Fed-Kun's army
"Wolfe" is stupid. Translate properly, don't need that localized bullshit.

Supporter
Yea Urufue would prob be better. Wolfe is something an "official translation" would have. Which is why I've always preferred fan translations.

Users who are viewing this thread