Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" - Ch. 89 - A Bottle of Soy Sauce

Dex-chan lover
Not the first time a spouse destroy their loved ones' way of returning home in fear of losing them. There are multiple versions in fairy tales.

Dex-chan lover
Okay, after reading the spoilers, I have to ask what the difference between Nobu's gate and the dude's gate?

Is it akin to a front gate and another is like thief's access or something?

Group Leader
Okay, after reading the spoilers, I have to ask what the difference between Nobu's gate and the dude's gate?

IDK, but the only common denominator for Nobu's, the dude's, AND Gen's are all of them were brought in by Ukanomitama-no-kami to introduce Japanese food culture or something like that...

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the quick update! I wonder what happen to him. But with this manga, I think it wouldn't be anything too serious
Before reading the spoilers posted by others, my thoughts were:

Given the nature of this manga, he's back home as a tourist for the first time in more than a decade. He was probably out seeing the sights too between Nobu and his hometown. And speaking of his hometown, Nobu's door opens in Tokyo, right? Where was Yoda-san actually from? He could've been from any other prefecture in Japan besides Tokyo. He's on foot, with old bills, and probably very surprised at how much prices have inflated since he was home. He very likely had to put in some effort to find his way to his old home. And likewise had some difficulty getting back to Nobu.

Dex-chan lover

Personal observation based on what's been said:
Yoda's path is basically security gate, only those with 'a pass' can go through it and in his case there's only 1 pass that keep getting inherited by the next generation.

Nobu's is an entry way without actual restriction on the crossing, but there's gate guard (the fox) trying to keep things in check (when Eva accidentally crossed, the fox guided her back, when Damian escaped through the backdoor the fox kept him stuck in illusory maze before tossing him back to Aithera)

Dex-chan lover
No way in hell could I forgive the wife. If you have insecurities in a relationship, you discuss them with your partner. You don't attempt to forcibly cut all ties he has to his family and former home. That's abuse, simple as.

Dex-chan lover
Wow. Just wow.
Idk how i would react if i were him.
No warning, nothing.
Just straight, ops, you can't go back now.
I would have expected it if its the door itself that banned my return.
But a betrayal from my spouse?
Nahhhhh

Aggregator gang
Ahh yes, my favorite SNK boss music, Soi Soz For Geese.

We already established that to the natives, the Japanese are speaking their language with an accent. We can then assume that the Japanese are hearing the natives speak to them in Japanese with an accent as well. If so, whenever a native is saying a Japanese word in katakana, would that mean the Japanese characters are just hearing the word with a stronger accent instead?

Assuming the natives didn't have the concept of a "condiment derived from soy" yet, they wouldn't have the words "soy sauce" to magically translate "shouyu" into, and would instead still hear it in Japanese.

We don't even HAVE a direct equivalent for it in English, we just use "soy sauce" because it's "a sauce made from soy beans". We would have one by now, but that is already being used by a condiment made from mushrooms, or the more popularly used in modern times, from tomatoes.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Man, I'd be more than furious if I were him.

That's unforgivable, regardless of whether that person is the love of your life. Destroying the only way back to your homeland, depriving you of reuniting with your loved ones and family, imagine the parents' sadness at not knowing their son's whereabouts, and carrying that sadness until death. This woman was cruel and selfish as hell.
You miss the part where all his Earth family were dead, so he thought he was okay going to live in an isekai, but felt like shit once he lost the option of returning?

Group Leader
It's just a small thing, but on p.24, "filial pity" is supposed to be "filial piety." Thank you for your work!

Group Leader
Yeah, this is straight up abuse, no way around it. The wife's selfishness caused the husband to become depressed. They are lucky that he didn't become a wife-beating abuser in return, and things go from bad to hell.
Still hard to forgive her, though.

Dex-chan lover
I'm sorry i'm a little bit on the dumb side but what is that last part?
The one who found him is the SON IN LAW.
Ergo, you can Presume the daughter is married to SIL.

So the implication is that she is pregnant with his grandchild, so the grandchild is now the one who controls the door.

Dex-chan lover
No way in hell could I forgive the wife. If you have insecurities in a relationship, you discuss them with your partner. You don't attempt to forcibly cut all ties he has to his family and former home. That's abuse, simple as.
I agree what she did is unforgivable. However, she is also worried that he would run away especially somewhere that she literally can't go.

This is while she is carrying a child in middle ages while living in the middle of nowhere. There are nuanced on certain things that we should consider.

He also might not intended to but what if when he is in Japan, the door suddenly won't open anymore?

Dex-chan lover
I agree what she did is unforgivable. However, she is also worried that he would run away especially somewhere that she literally can't go.

This is while she is carrying a child in middle ages while living in the middle of nowhere. There are nuanced on certain things that we should consider.

He also might not intended to but what if when he is in Japan, the door suddenly won't open anymore?
That still doesn't excuse the action. There's no nuance when she didn't even try to talk to him about it.

Dex-chan lover
That still doesn't excuse the action. There's no nuance when she didn't even try to talk to him about it.
We as reader should try to put our self in both characters position and try to understand them.

Read back page 19 carefully, she didn't do it out of malice. She lost control of her emotions like regular person.

Forgiven or not, it is the job for the person involved.

Dex-chan lover
We as reader should try to put our self in both characters position and try to understand them.

Read back page 19 carefully, she didn't do it out of malice. She lost control of her emotions like regular person.

Forgiven or not, it is the job for the person involved.
I did put myself in their shoes, and I decided if I were in that position I would not forgive her. I didn't say the character shouldn't. I said I wouldn't

And who said anything about malice? Harmful actions taken out of ignorance instead of malice can still be a valid reason to not forgive someone. I also don't think you can claim this was ignorance: She was very much so aware of the fact she was destroying his only attachment to his prior world and that he wouldn't want that. That's why she hid her plan and the action in the first place. It was only after it was done and couldn't be reversed with her present at the scene that she admitted it.

I also don't think a regular person would be so out of control emotionally their decision would be to irreversibly destroy their love's only attachment to their family in secret knowing they would not be happy with it without even trying to discuss the insecurities fueling that action first. Premeditated arson is not a crime of passion.

Users who are viewing this thread