Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" - Vol. 13 Ch. 77 - Morning Mapo Tofu

Double-page supporter
funny, when i go to camping, i feel like going to another world
the first thing i remember should be food
must be tough, not have modern cooking utensil
campfire for 1-2 days should be fun
but when about day 3, i already bored and crave for instant food.

thank you for translation

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Don't like how this entire chapter was set up with the goal of future proofing a Shinobu and Hans pairing. They showed Hans' interest chapter 1 and then haven't touched base on their relationship since so this coming out of left field felt forced. Maybe author is forcing succession story as a prelude to end the manga. Always felt there was more to her and Nobu's relationship than her and Hans', especially when customers constantly mistake her for Nobu's wife. Not that any of it matters much, it is an isekai cooking manga, but that did seem to be the underlying focus of this chapter.

Pretty sure that was never really a thing, and Hans x Leonore has more likelihood of happening.

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for translating this, I always enjoyed this series and I am really liking your notes at the end.

Dex-chan lover
it is an isekai cooking manga, but that did seem to be the underlying focus of this chapter.
Really? Because it seemed to me that the underlying focus of this chapter is about a chef's continued self-actualization into a more complete culinary expert.

@kairiaaa Thanks for the translation; I especially appreciate the translator's notes.

Aggregator gang
That seems more surface and is what Nobu is striving to do throughout the entirety of the manga. Hans succession and Shinobu's comment on being "fine with living on that side" were more telling to me, especially when considering the events of chapter 1. I'm not sure why the author would have just dropped in a hint at Hans' interest for Shinobu all the way back at the beginning of the manga if it wouldn't eventually tie in. Hans had motivation enough already to continue visiting their restaurant. Was there some pay off to that in an earlier chapter? I wouldn't remember.
OR perhaps the author just felt it was unnecessary and dropped that plot point, happens more often than you think. I'm of the opinion you're looking into this too much

Dex-chan lover
Don't like how this entire chapter was set up with the goal of future proofing a Shinobu and Hans pairing. They showed Hans' interest chapter 1 and then haven't touched base on their relationship since so this coming out of left field felt forced. Maybe author is forcing succession story as a prelude to end the manga. Always felt there was more to her and Nobu's relationship than her and Hans', especially when customers constantly mistake her for Nobu's wife. Not that any of it matters much, it is an isekai cooking manga, but that did seem to be the underlying focus of this chapter.
I don't really see what you mean.

Sure, Hans showed attraction in the first chapter, but so has multiple characters later on that has shown attraction for Shinobu. I think you were just reading too much into the author establishing that Shinobu is an attractive woman.

Dex-chan lover
That seems more surface and is what Nobu is striving to do throughout the entirety of the manga. Hans' succession and Shinobu's comment on being "fine with living on that side" were more telling to me, especially when considering the events of chapter 1. I'm not sure why the author would have just dropped in a hint at Hans' interest for Shinobu all the way back at the beginning of the manga if it wouldn't eventually tie in. Hans had motivation enough already to continue visiting their restaurant. Was there some pay off to that in an earlier chapter? I wouldn't remember.
This reads like a high school student "analyzing" a poem for an English assignment and reading meaning into something that isn't there.

Contributor
About the ending notes: if you were able to compare a Western lunch box and a Japanese bento, you'd have no doubt that in no freaking way one is the direct translation of the other. Bento is art, packed lunches in the west are usually a mess. Same for eel: unagi is a specific kind of fish, only similar to "eel".

Dex-chan lover
About the ending notes: if you were able to compare a Western lunch box and a Japanese bento, you'd have no doubt that in no freaking way one is the direct translation of the other. Bento is art, packed lunches in the west are usually a mess. Same for eel: unagi is a specific kind of fish, only similar to "eel".
yeah, when i think of an american packed lunch, i think of a sandwich, some kind of fruit, and chips

It seems strange that, despite being possible to introduce the soybeans themselves, they don't even mention the idea, instead saying talking about how they are asking others.
It isn't like a non-renevable ingredient like beer or gas, which they need to import from Japan. If they introduced the plant, it could probably take hold in some way.
I understand that it isn't the point of the manga, and it would maybe create problem, both from people questioning from where that unknown plant comes from and people harrassing them after connecting to the shop. But they have a direct connection to Japan. Yet they basically never bring it more distant than the front door.
(The second problem would probably also not happen, as we have seen in ep75, the fox seems to make people forget about questioning the origin of their products)

Aggregator gang
I personally stand in the "bentos are packed lunches" camp. It's true that there are people who are bento artists and spend a lot of their time making gorgeous bentos. Homemakers also spend a lot of time making bentos for kids/spouse in the morning. I think fundamentally, bentos are packed lunches, it's just that bentos are often either arranged or designed to look more appealing.

On the note of unagi and eels, unagi is a type of Japanese freshwater eel. In Japan, they have unagi (freshwater eel) and anago (saltwater eel). They're still eels though.

Dex-chan lover
yeah, when i think of an american packed lunch, i think of a sandwich, some kind of fruit, and chips
As an Asian American who grew up with my mom giving me bentos that aren't the most artistic to eat at lunch in school, I'm in the "bentos are packed lunches" camp too.

Dex-chan lover
The author probably just dropped that plot point, and in any case they haven't done anything to make Shinobu and Hans grow closer, hell, there has been more focus on Hans and Leonore than on Hans and Shinobu

Users who are viewing this thread