Isekai Kenkokuki - Ch. 64

On page 4, they show Bervedil to the west/southwest and Ebil to the south of Rosice. Then on page 17, they show Bervedil to the south instead. Was that an error by the author or during translation?

Dex-chan lover
. . .

That doesn't look like overkill to me. It's a bit unusual to have hoardings only on the sides, though, and there are no crenellations on top.

. . .

I think the overkill aspect is communicated more to how close to a Medieval era castle it is. Sure, no crenellations, but this is a bronze age society where we are going from something like Ancient Greece (and boy howdy is Almus pulling a King Phillip right now), to a veritable walled castle with a proper moat and bailey. In our timeline, that is probably close to 2000 years of advancement. Heck the entire city communicated a medieval European look to it.

Honestly I'd not be surprised if the mangaka/artist didn't understand why crenellations existed, or was just rushed enough that they didn't get to fixing it. Doesn't seem like too far a stretch with them having to make all the buildings as is, and it definitely committed to being such a sharp visual departure that I noticed it.

It also doesn't help that unlike the prior palace/defensive fortification, we have no good perspective shot of it. Only closeups that don't really fit together. That could be close to 50 feet tall of stonework surrounding a 200x200ft palace. Or it could be a massive 600x600ft with 80ft in height. I'd imagine it has to be more impressive fortifications than what we saw of the Ebil's palace, which is honestly massive.

Dex-chan lover
I think the overkill aspect is communicated more to how close to a Medieval era castle it is.
I don't usually put much stock in the exact era it's supposed to represent, since that's usually an exercise in futility. Most authors combined historical eras like it's a DIY sandwich. Like you mention later, many authors and artists aren't clear on the details, and just add what seems appropriate to them.

But if we compare it to Teria fort, if anything it falls short. So there is precedence for it in the story.

It also doesn't help that unlike the prior palace/defensive fortification, we have no good perspective shot of it.
That's a good point. In that case it's on the artist, since while "show, don't tell" isn't a universal advice, it fits here. Scale works much better if shown, while if told it's just a meaningless number the scouter pops out before being crushed.

Dex-chan lover
…aand they immediately assume Almus is up to something bad. Bet that at least one of them’s gonna die or lose in a moderately near future
Well to be fair, the mc was talking pretty darn shady. Being passive may be okay in Japanese culture, but not okay for a king

He was too focused on trying to hint "we want peace" and too little trying to forge ties. You can only truly have peace when both sides have something big to lose if they go to war. That paranoid king was hinting at how they are the trade route for them, and mc was like, yeah sure why should I care? No attempts at signing treaties, working together or increasing trade or show of good will

Considering his military achievements, taking it as him trying to solidify his position internally before conquering them sounds about right

Dex-chan lover
Genuinely think this isn't half bad but there's WAY TOO MUCH DIALOGUE. Holy.. I dropped it half a year ago and now I see there were only 2 new chapters? x.x

Dex-chan lover
I think the overkill aspect is communicated more to how close to a Medieval era castle it is. Sure, no crenellations, but this is a bronze age society where we are going from something like Ancient Greece (and boy howdy is Almus pulling a King Phillip right now), to a veritable walled castle with a proper moat and bailey. In our timeline, that is probably close to 2000 years of advancement. Heck the entire city communicated a medieval European look to it.

Ummm... exactly which style of "medieval castle", pray tell? There's a ..number of types.. the development of which spans about half a millennium..
This besides the fact that most of what people envision as "medieval castles" are either renaissance modifications to existing structures, or Romantic Era fantasy buildings/mansions..

Incidentally... crenellations were already used on Mesopotamian, as well as Old Kingdom egyptian city walls and fortifications. They've bit of a history. Documented history...
It's really not that hard to go from "strap your shield to this pole in the wall and play peek-a-boo with your bow" to a more permanent fixture on any wall... You really need to be an Einstein to figure that one out...

Honestly, the mangaka's interpretation of "city states at the height of the Bronze Age" is just about as good/bad as any "Artist's Interpretation" you get fed as "official" in School.

Dex-chan lover
Ummm... exactly which style of "medieval castle", pray tell? There's a ..number of types.. the development of which spans about half a millennium..
This besides the fact that most of what people envision as "medieval castles" are either renaissance modifications to existing structures, or Romantic Era fantasy buildings/mansions..

Incidentally... crenellations were already used on Mesopotamian, as well as Old Kingdom egyptian city walls and fortifications. They've bit of a history. Documented history...
It's really not that hard to go from "strap your shield to this pole in the wall and play peek-a-boo with your bow" to a more permanent fixture on any wall... You really need to be an Einstein to figure that one out...

Honestly, the mangaka's interpretation of "city states at the height of the Bronze Age" is just about as good/bad as any "Artist's Interpretation" you get fed as "official" in School.
I'm not gonna go and say any particular castle, just that it is the 'Hollywood' castles, which typically means a vaguely English castle. I was using short hand because it both isn't an exact 'medieval castle' and is just reminiscent of something from that era. It communicates a more western European look, as opposed to a bronze age society, as well as the town surrounding it. It's a large juxtaposition to the others. I didn't mean to make the Crenellations such an important feature to be missing, but that they weren't there was just odd because they are part of general idea a layman has for a castle.

I don't think the interpretation is 'good or bad' but that the differences were meant to communicate how 'heavily fortified' that city is by looking much more 'medieval' in general. So far the three kingdoms in focus had somewhat different building styles, and I will praise that. Besides, this isn't truly a historical fiction piece, so I'm not going to overtly worry about historical accuracy.

Dex-chan lover
…aand they immediately assume Almus is up to something bad. Bet that at least one of them’s gonna die or lose in a moderately near future
Are they paranoid though? Almus ultimate goal is the unification of the continent within his generation, as he himself stated in a previous chapter. And there's only so many ways to achieve that...

Double-page supporter
There are no true friends or eternal enemies in relations between countries.
There is only national interest.

Users who are viewing this thread