Isekai Meikyuu no Saishinbu o Mezasou - Ch. 25 - The Mission She Has to Carry Out

Dex-chan lover
I'm glad to see other people hate characters like this just complete trash

Double-page supporter
Nobody, literally nobody in this world seems to respect the conditions agreed before the duel.

Why even bother discussing them if everyone fights to the death in the end anyways.

Dex-chan lover
Someone really has to explain to the artist how those stat hexagons work. They're supposed to show the distribution of stats, not the absolute amount. The highest value never goes outside the circle, the others just get scaled down to compensate

Dex-chan lover
Someone really has to explain to the artist how those stat hexagons work. They're supposed to show the distribution of stats, not the absolute amount. The highest value never goes outside the circle, the others just get scaled down to compensate
I disagree.

If that were only a representation of stat distribution, either the highest stat would always be at the highest point available (distribution relative to highest stat) or they would total 100% (absolute distribution). And it would never help to know how strong a character is, only what their focus is, if any.

At least in games and manga, every time I see one of these diagrams, weak characters have all stats close to lowest (negating option 1) and strong characters have at least one maxed out and multiple others at high or intermediate (negating option 2).

I assume that the borders represent the highest known or measurable value by normal standards (e.g. in real life, 100% strength would represent a record holder in weightlifting), so anything exceeding that is a clear abnormality (e.g. comparing the stat of an elephant with humans as a basis). Of course, that has to be rare otherwise it defeats the purpose of having the diagram at all.

In fantasy worlds, the problem is establishing a base of comparison if you want to know exactly what each "maximum" represents, because you have factors like levels, races, magic, etc. But it is generally pointless. Just use it as a comparison between known characters and forget about what these values represent in absolute. I'm pretty sure very few authors actually think of these diagrams in so much details.

Dex-chan lover
At least in games and manga, every time I see one of these diagrams, weak characters have all stats close to lowest (negating option 1) and strong characters have at least one maxed out and multiple others at high or intermediate (negating option 2).
They can do that in games because the maximum value is a hard cap. It's scaled based the absolute maximum so that it never goes out of the diagram. But that doesn't work so well in a manga where the power scaling is less absolute.

Of course, that has to be rare otherwise it defeats the purpose of having the diagram at all.
It can't be that rare if it applies to half the named characters.
In fantasy worlds, the problem is establishing a base of comparison if you want to know exactly what each "maximum" represents, because you have factors like levels, races, magic, etc. But it is generally pointless. Just use it as a comparison between known characters and forget about what these values represent in absolute. I'm pretty sure very few authors actually think of these diagrams in so much details.
I have to agree, but it still bugs me. It's the same as when they have something like a ranking system that goes all the way up to SSS, it's just inflating the numbers without actually affecting anything. I didn't mind when they did it with Dia's magic as a joke, but it seems poorly thought out to do it with everyone.

I imagine the MC is only going to get stronger from here. What's his hex gonna look like in 15 chapters, when he's twice as strong as he is now?

Dex-chan lover
It can't be that rare if it applies to half the named characters.
It most definitely can.
Stories where every abnormal character gather around the MC for some reason or other are extremely common.

Take Hunter x Hunter. Nen users are supposed to be very rare. But starting from the moment we learn about Nen, it looks like 99% of the characters involved with the protagonists are Nen users, even when they are not officially Hunters. That's normal given the type of events they are involved with, but it still ends up skewing our perception of what "rare" means.

Here, the people with abnormal stats also have an abnormal background. The reason they get involved with the MC is stretching plausibility at times, but characters with abnormal stats and abnormal background meet with him under abnormal circumstances. Basically, it's tuesday in a fantasy manga.

Users who are viewing this thread