Isekai Nation Archimaira: The Weakest King and his Unparalleled Army - Ch. 12.3

Dex-chan lover
which is funny because before this, they only talk to him like a typical NPC only so did they all come up with the response and pose for it today?
They only half made it up, he actually tells them all which "body parts" of Alchimaira they are in 10.2, so they know when to respond when he calls out for each. They make up the fluff about what that body part does on their own, but with how infatuated they are with MC, they probably thought about it a lot after hearing them (especially since they silently begged for them).

Dex-chan lover
WEAK KING …MY ASS.
Notice how every single one of their responses was contradicting him?

"Answer to your weak king!"
1st - Yes, our Great King!
2nd - Yes, our Courageous King!
3rd - Yes, our Thoughtful King!
4th - Yes, our Supreme King!
5th - Yes, our Gallant King!
6th - Yes, our Immaculate King! (btw Carmilla best girl, just saying)
7th - Yes, our Pioneer King!
8th - Yes, our Solitary King!

Even though it was pretty much the conclusion to a speech, I really enjoyed this part of the chapter. It would have been even better if his call out started with Lieve this part instead of the end of the previous part.

Double-page supporter
In that case calling for war makes sense… if you don’t have the food to feed your populace, have no ability to make or trade for it, the only way to survive is to eat the land, resources, population, and food of your neighbours. Aka the reason for effectively all wars from prehistory to today.
I agree with your point. They really do have to start acquiring food fast and fastest way to get them is through conquest. Though the whole premise seems lacking.

For example, waging war is very expensive. I reckon the soldiers here are professionals, because they seem like a standing force and like I said, there were no territories to pull levies from. So they'd have to be paid. Money should be tight since there's no trade, so assuming they have reserves and running on deficit for the duration of the war.

This does not eliminate the need for the soldiers to eat, on which existing supply lines, that should have been managed by the city state, is practically non existent. No army march on empty stomach. And when the armies are dissatisfied, more often swords point up to the monarch's neck. But maybe they could source food from the allied nation?

This is my point of "isekaid with no refrigeration" comes from. For societies without efficient food preservation, local production of food is only as much as a local area can consume. Thered be surplus for trade but this won't be much since veggies spoil in maybe within a week so surplus production would not be like food trade in the modern sense as they would spoil quickly.

Lets say they got the money and the food for now. Then what. They haven't ascertained enemy size and power before declaring because Boohoo good nation is opressed by evil. Even up to age of cannons and gunpowder, months even years long siege is the norm. Their money may last but food stores sure won't.

Let's say there's no siege and they duked it out Shonen manga style and the whole shebang. Only way their city would survive is to displace/murder the amount of population, enemy or otherwise, so that local food supply is capable of supporting alchimaira's population, which if their words are to be trusted, a great nation which would eclipse the local nations. Such city will have population on the millions.

That's why I personally disdain modern manga. But keep reading them anyway as I think of western comics even less.

So long story short, things have been very different since I stopped drinking 3 weeks ago so I start arguments with strangers online. I respect your opinion but I heartfully disagree.

And I'm sorry.

Peace.

Double-page supporter
Fishing is a thing.
Salting is a thing.

There was a time when people could eat without fridge or canned food.
Yes, exactly! Such as the time of the late bronze Age where people could still fish and salt their food. But due to wars, famine and breakdown of regional supply lines, empires still fell didn't it?

My full rant is above if you care to read it. Long rant short, I disagree that local supply could meet their demand to warrant a military campaign.

Double-page supporter
That is the kind of scenes i really like in Overlord, and now we have it without the murder hobo

Dex-chan lover
I agree with your point. They really do have to start acquiring food fast and fastest way to get them is through conquest. Though the whole premise seems lacking.

For example, waging war is very expensive. I reckon the soldiers here are professionals, because they seem like a standing force and like I said, there were no territories to pull levies from. So they'd have to be paid. Money should be tight since there's no trade, so assuming they have reserves and running on deficit for the duration of the war.

This does not eliminate the need for the soldiers to eat, on which existing supply lines, that should have been managed by the city state, is practically non existent. No army march on empty stomach. And when the armies are dissatisfied, more often swords point up to the monarch's neck. But maybe they could source food from the allied nation?

This is my point of "isekaid with no refrigeration" comes from. For societies without efficient food preservation, local production of food is only as much as a local area can consume. Thered be surplus for trade but this won't be much since veggies spoil in maybe within a week so surplus production would not be like food trade in the modern sense as they would spoil quickly.

Lets say they got the money and the food for now. Then what. They haven't ascertained enemy size and power before declaring because Boohoo good nation is opressed by evil. Even up to age of cannons and gunpowder, months even years long siege is the norm. Their money may last but food stores sure won't.

Let's say there's no siege and they duked it out Shonen manga style and the whole shebang. Only way their city would survive is to displace/murder the amount of population, enemy or otherwise, so that local food supply is capable of supporting alchimaira's population, which if their words are to be trusted, a great nation which would eclipse the local nations. Such city will have population on the millions.

That's why I personally disdain modern manga. But keep reading them anyway as I think of western comics even less.

So long story short, things have been very different since I stopped drinking 3 weeks ago so I start arguments with strangers online. I respect your opinion but I heartfully disagree.

And I'm sorry.

Peace.
I agree that the premise in the manga is forced and likely wouldn’t work if it happened IRL, however there are a few things to consider.

First, while most fresh veggies don’t store well long term staples like potatoes, wheat, rice, etc do store relatively well for a few years and pickled veggies and smoked meat do the same. So depending on when the last harvest was and how much extra provisions were brought in for the festival it is possible to feed the population for a few weeks or months depending on how well rationed they were done.

Second, prior to about the ACW (and the introduction of fiat currency) soldiers were paid poorly and irregularly and armies depended on harsh discipline and looting to keep their troops in line. There is the saying “It’s loot loot loot that makes the boys shoot shoot shoot” which fits well for this situation. Mercenary bands probably wouldn’t care and either sack the capital or desert but for household troops or national standing army that is less of a concern.

Third, while a siege would be useful to keep the enemy force in place, it’s not completely necessary and that is disregarding the assumption of a walled city/citadel in the first place. It’s the countryside, the farms and peasants that are essential on both sides. Ideally you would try and capture the enemy population intact if only to bolster your own forces in the long run but if there are reasons not to do so (too large of population in capital to sustainably feed them, unwilling enemy populace, etc) removing the enemy peasantry one way or another and replacing them with your own has been a common strategy theme throughout history.

Anyways, politely arguing with random people on the internet is a bad habit of mine so no worries on my end if you do disagree. Congratulations on succeeding at one of the hardest challenges a person can face and I wish you all the luck for your continued sobriety.

Cheers dude.

Y’all took ages for this, judging by the end message that said something along the lines of “7 march 2023”
I don't know how raws are being released. On official raw page this is the latest and next chapter is scheduled for 12 March 2024. Volume 3 came out back in 7 March 2023 but dunno why it's being advertised so much later.

Dex-chan lover
It would've been great if its a combined chapter. Getting cut off from previous months ago to just to find the new chapter to be another rally made it anticlimatic. :nyoron:

Users who are viewing this thread