Isekai Ryouridou

Dex-chan lover
Uhhhhhhhh, *sees "cooking" as tag and Isekai
*thinks: another boring manga

Somehow cooking and isekai don't fit together imo.

@monkey123

Its only kinda sort of a cooking manga. Skythewood has translated to volume 8 of the LN so up to that point at least I'd say its much more about tribal + feudal politics and culture clash with a little side serving of CAPITALISM. Cookings mostly just MC's way to interact with the unknown world.

I'm not really big on cooking stories either(dropped Shokugeki because the foodgasm gag got old after a hundred chapters) but I like how this series handles it. For one its never the most important thing(like in Shokugeki where we're expected to just accept that elite chefs and cooking institutions are the center of the political, financial, and criminal worlds) - the plot mostly moves around political conflict between the tribal clans, the culture clash between the tribe and the citydwellers, and MC's relationship with the tribe. The cooking is rarely overdramatic and when it is can mostly be explained by the fact he's feeding filthy barbarians and broke ass peasants with little to no food culture. It also helps that it has a sort of exploratory tone to it - MC's ingredients and techniques are very limited at the start but he slowly builds an arsenal as he interacts with more people.

If you're expecting MC to discover his chef knife is actually a magic sword then embark on a quest to save the tribe from the evil kingdom then yeah probably not your thing. But if you're into politics, economics, and slow world building then totally worth following. Also Ai Fa gets increasingly adorable as the story goes on.

?Nigga Saber/Violet.....SO cute xD, darn dude.....if only he have tsundere side, it will home run?

If anyone wants to read the novel in epub and pdf

https://lnwnepubs.com/cooking-with-wild-game/

it has 7 volumes!

I like this. The theme has been done before, but it's nice how he doesn't instantly turn into a superhero thanks to his cooking skills.

This would be better if didn't have emphasis on cooking or a isekai protagonist.

Dex-chan lover
@bradek
Better? Enlighten me. What would you have done with it? What direction would you have taken after those steps? Remove both and the setting is just a bunch of boar hunters living at the foot of a mountain. What is your plot, conflict, resolution, and climax?

>premise of the story is a modern chef teaching a rural tribe about cuisine
>"This story shouldn't have any cooking or an isekai background"

?????

Dex-chan lover
Oh no... Big man who think shouting is the best way to assert his puny dominance over others...

@Talismaster What irks me is just that the MC is the only person that know how to cook, and he isn't even from that world, how many years of advantage do these people have over him when it comes to those ingredients. The plot is the life of the boar hunters btw ;p

Dex-chan lover
@bradek
Yes, and you’ve pitched absolutely nothing to make that interesting. Everyone has a life. How many can say their own individual slices of life are interesting? The author actually has a decent amount of world building. The interesting thing is how something as simple as cooking makes a drastic change in the settlement.

Spoiler on the setting
The “natives” aren’t native at all. They were invaded and driven from their homelands in a Trail of Tears like manner. They were allowed to settle in this incredibly dangerous mountain by a country, but they had to renounce their old god, and in order to protect the country they joined, have to hunt giant magic boars that breed so quickly, killing 50 a day hasn’t dented their population in the past 80 years they’ve lived there. To prevent the magic boars from going hungry and attacking nearby farms, they are forbidden from harvesting edible fruit or vegetables from the mountain. So not only do the boar hunters go hungry and starve, they’re prone to getting murdered by their own quarry. Regarded as a minority or barbarians, the country that accepted them actually fears them for their monstrous strength, and the boar hunters keep their problems to themselves, out of a sense of pride, and a duty to do their job, or die in the forest for being weakness.

The isekai’d mc, being an outsider is an absolute advantage. Being stranded gives him the excuse to enter the settlement. Being foreign hints to the border city citizens the boar hunters may not be as savage as the let on. A bridge between the misunderstanding and the misunderstood.

Dex-chan lover
For new readers this a story about an Isekai protag who gets transported to a fantasy world, with supposedly no magic, but is instead set in a sort medieval time period.
I recommend reading the [WN] I enjoyed the story because it wasn't a typical power fantasy Isekai story where the protagonist has everyone bowing at their feet.
It starts off slow because he has to figure out the differences between his old world and this new world, but escalates later on as he tries to improve the standards of culinary and food.
As many people in this new world only see food as something to be eaten not improved upon in everyday life.
Though some of facial expressions the protag and other character make bothers me, and make them seem a lot more silly from the [WN].

Aggregator gang
Another utterly shitty isekai. "Oh, I smell badly." "No! You actually smell really good!" "Really?(*I LOVE YOU*), Don't say stupid things, baka!".
Goddamn it, people are first to develop cooking and booze, even before A.D., such stupid premise... Pic related describes it perfectly.
a6.png

Aggregator gang
After reading some of the WN, I've come to realize I only like Ai Fa and detest every other character.
The story would literally be perfect had he never meddled with the Wu clan and stuck to making delicious dishes for Ai Fa as they raised a family or something like that.
Instead we get a bunch of "I gotta prove my worth" arcs. As if proving your worth to a bunch of savages that toss away 80% of the meat they hunt because "muh hunter pride" meant something.

Users who are viewing this thread