Issho ni Kurashite ii desu ka? - Vol. 1 Ch. 6 - Don't You Want to be Free?

Dex-chan lover
I was with her until the "defending the boss" part, which was absolutely disgusting.
She did say "if he's done this before then you can sue" TBF. IDK, Japanese culture is different. A strip club is extreme, but it's very common to be coaxed into going into a bar after work. It's just not something western culture would consider okay in a medium-large sized business.

Dex-chan lover
i'll be damned! ppl actually talking stuff out and resolving it QUICKLY and AMICABLY in a MANGA? especially since manga are usually centered around unnecessary, bloated and above all artificial drama.

Aggregator gang
I honestly think this chapter is a little weird and could use more depth to really drive the point that I think would be well meaning.

First the female coworker is invited to a strip bar. Which by her reaction shows she didn’t know that’s the kind of bar she was invited to. Our actual stripper housemate says the lady’s boss didn’t know it would be wrong… essentially. But without giving full context of where you are being invited to, I think that’s wrong in general for a boss to do to any gender of subordinate/coworker. Especially in Japan, cause In America this would also be a rightful wtf.

The coworker lady then proceeds to say this place is exploitation of women. And yes she can be right about this. Sex work shouldn’t be vilified or criminalized. It is sometimes people’s choice and people enjoy doing it. Some are less fortunate to not choose the life though, but participate because of systematic and direct coercion. It’s important to acknowledge sex work can be as exploitative as any kind of work. Our housemate made the choice to do that and supporting her, watching her shows, etc. is perfectly fine.

But why does she make this whole attempt to make the boss seem ignorant of the repercussions of inviting someone he barely knows to an event that involves something sexual. We know damn well most men there don’t see it as something entirely artistic like the straight woman stripper does lmao (though the appeal might be a compound of sexual and artistic obviously). So it lacks a lot of context by the intention of bringing her there. Which I usually would expect Sasuga Kei to delve into like in Domestic Girlfriend, but she doesn’t. Things like the exploitation especially. But we aren’t going to infantilize these old men like they didn’t know any better. That’s a discussion of boundaries with coworkers. And given enough time to really flesh out characters and characters intention, this could’ve been an interesting or impactful story for the 1/? Housemates. But it’s like a whole arc would be necessary to make a good take on this and it’s one chapter. Makes you feel like we have a character idea being seen and not a believable brought to reality one. But hey the art is nice. Free the nipple we see that. But yeah idk, weird chapter. I like Sasuga Kei stuff still.

Edit: someone mentioned it doesn’t have to be about that as it is mainly about her going out of her comfort zone and finding a passion. But there are many stories with that message. Her being a sex worker, I would hope to have more being told in conjunction with that message if that’s the motif. If it’s being shown she enjoys her new life that’s fine. This just feels like it excuses the exploitation though, almost like a slap on the wrist, and goes forward with defending a clear workplace violation.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Dang, thought Tsubasa was gonna be best girl (in my totally unbiased opinion as a software engineer), but Yukari sure is making a strong argument. Wish I had that sort of control and independence in my life, both in body and mind:aquadrink:

Wow strip pole dancing, such beautiful, much noble art wow.

You haven't seen real pole dancing if you think that. it absolutely destroys your core. it's no wonder she dropped a ton of weight and likely replaced it with a good deal of muscle.

Dex-chan lover
But without giving full context of where you are being invited to, I think that’s wrong in general for a boss to do to any gender of subordinate/coworker. Especially in Japan, cause In America this would also be a rightful wtf.

I think the point was to keep it vague. Yukari doesn't know the context and she understands that if it was a constant thing that the female worker should take action. But she's of course projecting her own experience there. Maybe it's out of line, but you understand Yukari's biases here. If she wasn't taken to that strip club by her former boss, she would still be fat and miserable.

I think her point here is that you need a push to go outside your comfort zone, while also being able to understand and respect your boundaries. In general being asked out to any after work activity by your boss in the US is an abuse of power dynamic, so it's a cultural boundary at work in addition to the whole debate on female sex work.

We know damn well most men there don’t see it as something entirely artistic like the straight woman stripper does lmao (though the appeal might be a compound of sexual and artistic obviously). So it lacks a lot of context by the intention of bringing her there.

Let's be frank here: the female OL is ultimately here to act as a reflection into Yukari's history. She's not there to be an allegory for workplace abuse or a criticism of modern Japanese workplaces. We have plenty of other literature for that. Not every story needs to do this, and if you are getting your moral compass from Sasuga Kei's manga, that's a bigger red flag than any of the drama she wrote.

This is only ch. 6 of a manga and we still need to properly introduce 3 more girls, this isn't a full arc and we know Kei isn't going to have a perfectly realized character who got over all her trauma and baggage in vol. 1. We may still be headed for a dumpster fire but at least give her a volume to cook lmao.

Dex-chan lover
Tbh i have a mixed feelings about this kind of topics. I strongly believe woman should treasures their dignity and self. On the other hand, i also want them to enjoy what they believe in. However, too much independence also have its own consequences as thats the reasons we have rules and regulations in life.

But well if they choose to be live like that i cant do anything to em. More power to em obviously. If you ask me IF i can stop them from choosing that kind of career or life i would help them steer away from that. (Mind the "if")

Group Leader
TBH I don't remember why I got interested in this story in the first place. I know it's early, but the characters feel so separate from each other. Is the author gonna conclude by making them feel like family? Where is Vin Diesel?

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
I think the point was to keep it vague. Yukari doesn't know the context and she understands that if it was a constant thing that the female worker should take action. But she's of course projecting her own experience there. Maybe it's out of line, but you understand Yukari's biases here. If she wasn't taken to that strip club by her former boss, she would still be fat and miserable.

I think her point here is that you need a push to go outside your comfort zone, while also being able to understand and respect your boundaries. In general being asked out to any after work activity by your boss in the US is an abuse of power dynamic, so it's a cultural boundary at work in addition to the whole debate on female sex work.

Let's be frank here: the female OL is ultimately here to act as a reflection into Yukari's history. She's not there to be an allegory for workplace abuse or a criticism of modern Japanese workplaces. We have plenty of other literature for that. Not every story needs to do this, and if you are getting your moral compass from Sasuga Kei's manga, that's a bigger red flag than any of the drama she wrote.

This is only ch. 6 of a manga and we still need to properly introduce 3 more girls, this isn't a full arc and we know Kei isn't going to have a perfectly realized character who got over all her trauma and baggage in vol. 1. We may still be headed for a dumpster fire but at least give her a volume to cook lmao.
Who said I was getting my moral compass from Kei Sasuga manga. I just exhibited more knowledge about sex work than she ever did in a story. First I’d like to say yea, I acknowledge she is there as a foil somewhat compare and contrast to her previous self. But I do think it’s lack luster and doesn’t provide enough of a standpoint from someone working in the profession. It’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it. Sure it doesn’t have to be about that, but you can still give some element to it besides a faceless boss who is overjoyed at being defended for some clear biased outlook on what sex work is. Seeing as she had a choice in her life in that profession.

Yeah I can see it’s about her going out her boundaries and finding something she’s passionate in. But hey buddy, you can also admit there is many stories with messages like that. Why make her a sex worker if you wouldn’t touch on sex worker things. Like you didn’t need her to be that either to drive that point home.

Also why say fat and miserable together like that lmao what. As if they are mutual negatives in her past. You can be fat and happy. Fat and a stripper too. The way you said that is giving ick. She did say she wasn’t happy, but I think her being fat then working out was more of a, fit the body type of women in this industry. It’s not a bad part of her past. She was just simply unhappy with her life, maybe her body goals were given to her by her desire to work a profession. Which happens with dancers a lot. There are just general beauty standards women will fall into by society’s influence.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Honestly, I feel like I can get her. She feels happy doing such work? Well then, so be it. let her does her, you do you, I do me. As long as it doesnt disturb others peace, I honestly dont care.

But the moment she approached the OFL in her workplace and defended her boss?? Thats the point where Im heavily disturbed. Whats more weirder is the OFL coming to see her being awed the night. Its inconsistent and without reason, 1 point she felt heavily uncomfortable by it, then she got told to let her grudge go, next thing you know shes being awed about it.

Oh well it is what it is. Thanks as always for the sl! Anon!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread