Jaminis Box shutting down

Power Uploader
@Hounder While there's some truth to what you're saying, let me point out this is by no means inevitable. Some groups manage to renew themselves and replace their entire staff over the years. I scanlate with Death Toll and while very few manga readers know or care who we are, we've been around for almost 12 years and are still kicking. Nobody of the founding generation remains, but new blood comes and goes. Groups like Sense-Scans, EGS and Chibi Manga are almost as old as we are, and others like Illuminati Scans and Evil Genius are far older.

Scanlation can be, and is a long-term hobby for many people. If you don't go supernova and avoid burnout, it can be enjoyable for years, decades. Again, non-scanlators don't know them, but there are people from the late and even early 2000s who are still scanlating. We have had people older than you in our group, even people who were already older when they first joined. One of them was a senior citizen. All salaried adults with families. We have lots of working adults right now. One of them has just celebrated buying their first house. I started scanlating long after I had graduated university, too.

All a group needs to live long is a core of people who enjoy this hobby. Death Toll had only four members at a point. Groups often die by choice, not inevitability.

Dex-chan lover
@Bren I meant specifically rule 2.4.1.3. About inactive groups being able to request the removal of their chapters that have official licenses. What's the point of that rule?

@BestBoy Oh, that clause. I apologize, I didn't notice that was the rule regarding exemptions.

Here's some old drama that I really should've posted earlier that explains the rules regarding inactive groups.
https://mangadex.org/thread/4462/2/#post_181344

TLDR: Some groups didn't like the rule so Mangadex tried to reach a middle ground.
Which is exactly what happened with Jamini's Box, so I assume it's just some holier than thou thing because all the groups that I've seen that don't host on MD scanlate licensed material. Example: Boruto/'s Dad, One Piece, We Can't Learn, Boku no Pico Acadamia.

Dex-chan lover
@Bren
LMAO this particular post from that thread.
https://mangadex.org/thread/4462/3/#post_182113
zfL7BPA.jpg

Dex-chan lover
@Bren

For example, if a group absolutely does not want a series to be hosted due to it being licensed we will honour that request. Simply let us know.

Unfortunately, that's the only mention of 2.4.1.3 and there's no reasoning behind it.

@comeonnow0 I'm pretty sure almost every single scanlator that had a problem with uploading to MD is now involved in someway with a group that uploads to MD. Even das.

Dex-chan lover
@NullError Every time there's complaints from scanlators I laugh to myself because I know they'll be back in some form or another. The hypocrisy is just delicious.

I expected this to happen the moment they made the power play to be the biggest boi in the scanlation industry. In fact the only surprise is that it happened as soon as it did. Doesn't really matter to me since I never read their scans after they left MD. If their projects end up on MD some time next year, great! If not, whatever.

Fed-Kun's army
@monkey123 nope, it's already been taken up, with chapter 30 yesterday. Gold will never be left unmined.

Aggregator gang
Good! And good riddance! Don't know how anyone could feel anything but pity and ire for them, after the ridiculous shit they tried to pull with MangaDex.
Cheers all around, a terrible blight on manga and scanlation has finally, thankfully fallen into oblivion. May we never see another as wicked as them.

Users who are viewing this thread