John Deere And Right to Repair General Discussion

Fed-Kun's army
This thread is here mainly to serve as a general discussion thread about Right to Repair, which is very important, beginning thoughts however, will be about John Deeres recent PR release

Here is a video from Louis Rossmann about the issue

Fed-Kun's army
Currently I am a major supporter of general right to repair, within reason. I believe that one should be able to order parts preferably from manufacturer and repair their products that they bought

creating more ewaste is what companies essentially are doing when they either force you to send the device into their repair services usually resulting in a premium for something that probably doesnt cost that much or replacing the device saying they have fixed it which is unfair to the user, and unfair to the environment and is a prime reason why right to repair is so important

Fed-Kun's army
Another thing that falls under right to repair is unfair warranty

lately ive been seeing a lot more companies have been making unfair warranties that either harm the user in the short term or remove all responsibility from the company a bit too soon, as such portions of technology are considered ewaste due to this

Dex-chan lover
I support it. Nothing more frustrating then having the skills and experience to do needed repairs and modifications , but being obstructed by the inability to circumvent obstacles put in place by the manufacturer. 😓

Fed-Kun's army
my OEM lightning cable from apple
now needs to be bent to work now
ive only used it for about 36 hours, fresh from the box

Right to repair seems like a good thing to have. It makes sense to prevent manufacturers from purposefully making it hard, impossible or illegal to repair their product, but it's also important to recognise that some things might be hard to repair by their nature and it might be easier to get a new one.

I support it. Nothing more frustrating then having the skills and experience to do needed repairs and modifications , but being obstructed by the inability to circumvent obstacles put in place by the manufacturer. 😓
I'd add smart home equipment to that. For exmaple, Lutron requires their own software and a license key you can only get by going through their training course to configure anything Lutron related in your home. You might want to change a single button or add a light and it's immediately a huge issue.

Users who are viewing this thread