JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 8 - JoJolion - Vol. 25 Ch. 100 - The Wonder of You (Your Miraculous Love) Part 17

Group Leader
@Bracketier

"lack of font variety"

i compared both translations side to side and they are fine font-wise.

Dogpark's font usage for Rai's text was actually pretty interesting because it showcased the state in which Rai was.

"lack of sound effect translation"
that is not required.
your group took it upon itself to translate it because you thought it is a mandatory thing to do, not because it's mandatory for everyone to translate SFX.
Yes, seeing the translated SFX is a novel thing but for most readers, they just pass by their eyes.

about the SFX that are in bubbles, reread Dogpark's translation because he has fixed multiple things.

@Bracketier You say that untranslated sound effects make an incomplete translation, pre-JoJolion, another group, JJCA doesn't consistently typeset/translate SFX in the manga. Does that, therefore, make JJCA's color typesets incomplete?

Double-page supporter
@BitterJames apologies, I couldn't remember the exact chapter number.

I think it might have been mentioned another time, but yeah understanding it as research by an in-universe character or group is the best explanation as far as reproduction goes. The growing every six years could be sorted by that too, but it seems like they actually observed that, what with the different poses recorded.

Strange that they added the info in the volume release, must have been accidentally left out or something

Aggregator gang
hiatus

god damn

right at the part that had me on the edge of my seat

im so fucking hyped that i can prob wait the next few months just because
araki motherfuckin brought back spin

Didn't Kyo say that Josuke's bubbles were shaped like a two halves of different bubbles fused together
In that case how can a spinning line create that shape as well

Group Leader
@BitterJames you can have that opinion about font variety, but I strongly disagree. Especially if people want accuracy to what Araki intended. Dogpark's font choices omit tons of the nuance that was present in the original text in that regard.

Sound effects are part of the storytelling. They are not simply art to look at, they are text that is stylized. If they are left untranslated, readers can't read them. It's really fucking simple to understand. It's incomplete without them.

I've read the Dogpark version again, and I'm glad to see that many of the errors have been fixed. It's a shame that there were so many errors to begin with, like unjoined spreads, untranslated sound effects in bubbles, etc. And not translating sound effects is not doing the full job. If Dogpark is trying to position their translation as better (Which certainly seems to be the case after doing a Twitter thread comparing the two versions) then they should actually make their translation complete.

@MistaHolmes, yes. I am one of the people from JJCA, and I definitely feel that our early releases without sound effects translations are incomplete.

The spinning line that Rai talked about was actually mentioned at the end of the Urban Guerrilla fight on Chapter 70 pg 15 (colored ver.) Rai said Soft and Wet’s ability is like his and that it is like a cord “vibrating at high speeds to appear like a sphere”.

Users who are viewing this thread