Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen - Vol. 21 Ch. 206 - Miyuki Shirogane Isn’t Depressing

Group Leader
@pool Yea, it's a cultural difference, but I've also heard from many Japanese people that they think a move towards showing affection through physical contact, i.e. hugging, would be for the better. Just because something is one way in a culture doesn't mean it is always good. Physical contact has been proven time and time again to improve the bonds between the two people, so it being seen as taboo even among friends isn't a good thing.
(Though the hug from the back miiiight be a step too far.)

What exactly are you talking about here you two?
aXIBnxJ.jpeg

why do japanese people cant be normal persons?
like pls hugg me im really depressed
no im scared

f*ck, I'm feeling bad for Iino and I don't even like her

for the next chapter, I hope Shirogane's father show up, I really miss him

Nice! Thanks for the update, please continue translating this manga really love it. Thank you translators can’t wait for the next update.

Dex-chan lover
Its okay Shirogane, I think your dedication and madness is badass.

@pool Cultural difference doesn't mean you should never call out or raise concern over the problematic culture.

Dex-chan lover
I like the relationship between Prez and Iino so much, for a few tipsy seconds I wanted Shirogane to hug her. What a troll panel: big wide background, blue skies with a few clouds, one dialogue bubble. Aka, stop messing with my drama/shipping radars! 😂

Iino has a delightfully wry sense of humor. I strangely also want to give her a hug and protect her for some reason. An Iino arc soon would make me happy.

What the heck happened to Iino? She's somehow so freakin brave, unlike the shy girl I thought she still is. This is too good, man!

shirogane already has the eyes of a serial killer, maybe those posters are hinting he really is one 😮

i think when ishigami said no way, he meant that there's no way Shirogane would like me or something like that 🤔

@DrHizzle
Actually the reason why Eastern culture has such a huge aversion to touching is born from protection for both men and women. In Eastern medieval times, there was a rampant practice of where a women can claim a man who is seen as loose to have slept with her ( a bit of context: Eastern people used to really value virgins so a women who had laid once is seen as undesirables. ). The man then must took in the women who claimed that or be derided as a dishonorable man that could definitely results in less jobs or business. So a stern man who kept his hands to himself had less chance of receiving this accusations and even if he did he would have a fair chance at court.

Fed-Kun's army
Akasaka aka sensei become guest star few times on inuyama tamaki vtuber channel

@DrHizzle @Hunglylm
You might have understood the cultural angle of this after reading @Omegadave 's post, but I would like to add one more thing.
First and foremost, in the East, this's normal. People have different ways of expressing their feelings. Here, hugs are mostly for family and lovers. That's just the way it is. And when the Eastern people look at the West, they are also surprised at that lax attitude, because that's not the norm here. There's nothing bad about both sides, we all have our own ways to show our care, and you should know about jealous, suspicious girlfriends.
And second, as Shirogane is a subject of rumor (as you can see in the spin-off >v<), that's why hugging's no good.
If you still haven't acknowledged this, tell me why.

Group Leader
@pool No I understand the cultural reasons behind why Shirogane didn't hug her, and I'm assuming so did the people you passive-aggressively bashed in your first comment. What I'm saying is that physical contact has been scientifically proven to strengthen bonds, both for friends and lovers, and a culture of avoiding all physical contact among friends is detrimental to those bonds.
Not all cultures are 100% good, and just writing things off as "it's the culture in _____" is a great way to be stuck in place without ever breaking out of bad cultures. (This one in particular isn't really as bad as some, but it's definitely not a positive culture)

Fed-Kun's army
Right, we understand that it's a cultural thing and in fact have talked about that specifically. What we're saying is that it's sad and almost certainly unhealthy. Both physical affection (whether platonic or otherwise) and the LACK of physical affection have proven effects on brain chemistry. People/children deprived of affection will have significantly higher stress and depression levels, while we can actively chart things like increased dopamine after receiving a hug.

I could just as easily point to American culture's puritanical view of sex as unhealthy but that doesn't mean I don't understand it. The opposite, in fact.

Users who are viewing this thread