Kainushi Juujin to Petto Joshikousei

@BloodySorcerer Stockholm Syndrome is something very specific to a hostage situation, so that doesn't quite apply here. It seems more like she is arranging herself with the situation. When you're alone in an unfamiliar environment you cannot survive by antagonizing everyone.

Dex-chan lover
@Aricitic

That's why I said "if you're being generous" and "a bit more apt".

This manga is a making a "cats and dogs" comparison to pet humans when even a parrot or chimp wouldn't be accurate, despite them being demonstrably more intelligent, and they are generally regarded as not being something you should keep as a pet as it's is inhuman and often leads to sever physical and psychological problems for the animal (parrots and cockatoos go straight up insane quite often).

There is no accurate IRL comparison for this situation. You could maybe stretch to slavery because there was a genuine belief that other races or religions were different species and/or sub human at one time.

Just tangentially to the parrot counting bit, wild ravens have been shown to understand fluid displacement without prior instruction. Bird brain should really be a compliment.

I still like this manga though. Cognitive dissonance ftw!

Aggregator gang
@SuppeBargeld Its not actually, or rather what qualifies as a hostage situation is very flexible and can easily apply to being kept as a pet.

@nfzeta Maybe. But the main cause of Stockholm Syndrome is a situation of deep insecurity and stress, as well as someone trying to change that situation (e.g. the police attempting to free the hostages). Then the brain may switch to a modus where it attempts to preserve the status quo, out of fear that any change might just make things worse. As a result the victim clings to the other person defending against the intrusion, the kidnapper.

Our protagonist is neither under extreme pressure nor is someone attempting to rescue her. Overall Stockholm Syndrome is a special case of PTSD, which she is not showing any signs of.

Double-page supporter
@MCM
Lmao Some people aren't familiar with Animal Farm and are not aware of their own mortality. Shit can hit the fan any moment.

Aggregator gang
@SuppeBargeld I think you're mistaken about what Stockholm Syndrome really is. For one, there is no need for the existence of someone trying to change the situation.

All stockholm syndrome really is is a type of defence mechanism where a captive allies with and/or believes in the morality/humanity of their captor. It doesn't even have to be a hostage situation, a kidnapping into prolonged captivity is the case most likely to have the victim show signs of Stockholm syndrome. Basically as long as the situation gets to the point where they no longer constantly feel their life in danger and the captor is their only other social interaction they start to see the captor's side of the situation, pretty much to the exclusion of theirs.

@nfzeta Stockholm Syndrome is a mental disorder caused by trauma that is generally considered illogical. It is not just a change in conviction, it is a mental sickness that can go all the way to suicide if the victim believes this will help ther captor.

Aggregator gang
@SuppeBargeld Exactly, that's basically what I'm saying. It doesn't have a narrow definition and therefore you can say this girl has it as recently she's tried to help him out or comfort him a few times

Dex-chan lover
@MacMeaties, now, keep in mind that I have slept since then...
I think I owe you an apology. I have, for the longest time, wanted to rant about Prime Apes and/or other intelligent species being directly compared to humans.
In reality we (likely) cannot comprehend a species that would compare to us as we compare to cats/dogs. This is, at least, in part because we DON'T KNOW how we compare to cats/dogs. We assume that we do, but the level of research on the topic is far, FAR too little and still has the innate assumption that we are the apex...
E.g. a species that directly and unilaterally psychically dominates any living thing they come within danger range of would NEVER develop weapons throughout their social and intellectual evolution. Weapons would serve utterly no point to them (tools to resolve nonliving issues, sure, but it wouldn't occur to them to use it on a living being).
(P.s. I mean the above in a sense where the species themselves is unaware of it, and simply pacifies the aggressor.)

Likewise, a species evolved deep below the surface (water or earth) would develop the ability to see, not in the human sense.

Basically, so long as we assume that WE are the apex, the standard, we will never understand or really even acknowledge other intelligence for what it truly is, not until either we destroy it or it destroys us. Ender's Game and its prequel are an excellent fictional example.

Heck, Neanderthals or any of the other proto-human or not "homosapien" species could very well have been more "intelligent" than homo sapiens, but were simply dealt a bad hand at everything else.

... Ok. I just did a word count... I am going to stop before people start dying of old age...

Dex-chan lover
This series is so relaxing, i really like it. Character design is really cute, too.

This serie is terrifying. Buying a pet that can read and at the same time, that can be brought as a gift to make sashimi ...

Fed-Kun's army
Wait, she's kidnapped and sold as a slave, and it's cute? That doesn't sound right.

Users who are viewing this thread