Kajiya de Hajimeru Isekai Slow Life - Ch. 23

Supporter
Ooo nice another chapter! I really like this series. The MC is more mature than average and pretty chill.
Well he was already somewhere in his maybe late 40s to 50s when he died to start with, so he has that going for him.

Well he was already somewhere in his maybe late 40s to 50s when he died to start with, so he has that going for him.

The story really is more about a guy who's like a dad to a bunch of young girls than it is a harem. The "romance" tag for this series is a bit misleading. The only one that seems to have any romantic feelings towards MC is the tiger girl, but even then that's mostly about how loyal and protective the beast people are towards their friends.

Dex-chan lover
Man all the girls in this series are so cute. Though wasn't Helen's nickname Lightning Blade? I can understand how the translation might get construed to Quick Thunder but personally I think Lightning Blade sounds cooler.

Dex-chan lover
Here comes AnotherDuck with an in-depth analysis.
I usually find it interesting to see what mangas get right and wrong about things. It's usually easier to point out what they get right, since those things stick out more, and if it comes to interpretation I end to give them the benefit of a doubt. It's all for fun, not to complain, after all.

Dex-chan lover
Uh oh, the katana has entered the sword-crafting manga! Everyone flee at the superiority of Japanese swords!

DHwqwH1.png

Able to do Stillness and Motion? Whew, sounds like she's ready for Perfect Alexander then.

Dex-chan lover
I think this was already resolved in the past chapters, no?

It goes like; "that is a concern for the user, not the creator."
Yep, just remembered... it's been awhile:huh:

What I'd like to see if what was said really holds up. It's one thing to say it but if... just if it was someone he personally knows, or someone he holds dear, not just some rando out there..? Will he still say the same?

Dex-chan lover
Don't you love it when author's don't know the reason for why some stuff happened and just assume it's different for the sake of it???

In the case of Katanas, they used different steel and techniques cause that was what they had.

Basically, you can use the exact same metal and don't need folding for good enough metal. Same with the soft hard method...

Dex-chan lover
...waifu aside, I wonder if he's really resolved to know the weapon he gives her will be used to kill tons of humans, maybe even Helen:thonk:
I'm pretty sure he resolved that line of thinking a few chapters ago actually. Basically summing it up that it's up to the wielder. The same weapon he makes for someone could easily save tons of humans too. That being said, I do sort of hope she becomes a waifu... I know the house is getting full but they've made additions before.

Dex-chan lover
I thought someone for sure someone would have beat me to this one...
271.gif

Any given new harem member watching him do his blacksmith thing is like...a given at this point. I can't say that I remember everyone having done it, but this also isn't the first time it's happened.
sauce?

Dex-chan lover
What I'd like to see if what was said really holds up. It's one thing to say it but if... just if it was someone he personally knows, or someone he holds dear, not just some rando out there..? Will he still say the same?
It holds up for the common masses. And chapter 1 happened, because they didn't want to make him angry by killing a close friend. (might not have been ch1, but I mean the fight between demon lord and hero where both notice the engraving on the others weapon)

Dex-chan lover
Basically, you can use the exact same metal and don't need folding for good enough metal. Same with the soft hard method...
Folding is just to even out the impurities in the steel. With pure enough steel, like modern steel, folding is pointless. I think that technically it does improve the durability by changing the shape of the crystalline structure, but that isn't maintained through the hardening process, as heating it up changes the structure back to "default". I'm not sure about that part, though, and I'd have to look it up to confirm/debunk.

The soft/hard method is a bit different, though. Spring steel has a uniform hardening which can flex quite a lot, but if it flexes too much, it snaps. Spring steel also requires a relatively more pure steel to not be too unreliable. I think that's because the tempering process is quite precise, and impurity can change that too much, but I'm not sure.

Differential hardening on the other hand doesn't flex (well, it does flex, but not significantly), but deforms and bends with too much force. However, that can be bent back, so the sword isn't completely destroyed (unlike with LotR shows, you can't reforge a sword without completely redoing the entire process).

You also get a harder edge, which means it will retain a sharp edge longer, but it's more brittle.

You get these advantages and drawbacks regardless of steel purity, since the rely on the hardening and tempering process.

Dex-chan lover
I think people get bent out of shape whenever manga includes their nippon steel folding shenanigan. But it's legitimately a valid technique.

Also, he's just experimenting and showing his disciple a different forging technique here, as he said. It's not like he's trying to create his Magnum Opus or anything.

Dex-chan lover
mhm, i know it's been foreshadowed since the first chapter, but here we go with our MC granting his weapons to multiple sides. the new demon girl was part of some reconnaissance team, which tends to be used for military analytics and while it doesn't seem like demons are the natural enemy kind of race in this series, it might still be used to kill many people. the MC already got through this the last couple of chapters but it still feels odd.

but since the story is rather light-hearted so far, and the art is brilliant, with some cute, fun, and at times deep characters, i can forgive that or rather, just enjoy the trip.

thanks for the chapter.

Dex-chan lover
It always annoys me a little that Japan (somewhat understandably) and the rest of the world seem to think that Japanese swords were somehow so much better than any other places swords.
  • For one, Japanese blacksmiths were working with worse material, they found a smart way to make due, mind you, but it doesn't change the fact that the material the swords are made of is worse.
  • For two, European swords and Japanese Swords served different purposes. European swords were made to essentially bash the enemy, rather than slice - and this is because European armor was so good.
  • For three, while there were still European swords made for slicing, such as sabres, they came around the time of cannons and guns, so as you can understand they became less important. DESPITE THIS, when Europeans started getting Japanese swords, they were met with an overwhelming 'meh'. Surprisingly, the Japanese swords were praised for their beauty, particularly their handles, but Europeans were not all that impressed with their main quality - their use as a sword. European Sabres and Duelling swords were seen as superior, and given the materials, perhaps were. Keep in mind this is during the Japanese craze when people were initially falling in love with Japanese culture, particularly their arts and crafts, so their swords should have been highly regarded as well, if Europeans felt they were any good outside of their beauty.
  • Finally, while there seems to have been no attempt to legitimately copy Japanese style swords in the west, Japan went through a good period of making western style swords - so they must have been doing something right for Japan to take note of them.

Not to say that Japanese swords suck, but the constant depiction of them being the best swords, that slices through all the other shitty lesser swords is just kind annoying.
It's like a comic showing the VW Beetle as the worlds fastest and greatest car, when it's simply an alright functioning, unique looking car.
But who knows, maybe they did some crazy test that I don't know of that showed that Japanese Katana swords, were in fact, the best.

Anyway, stupid (not so) little rant over. :dogkek:

Users who are viewing this thread