Kajiya de Hajimeru Isekai Slow Life - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

That sword is horribly designed. The part where it thins out before entering the handle is the part of the sword that receives the most stress when it strikes something. Therefore, it should be the thickest part of the blade. By making it the thinnest part of the blade, our MC ensured that the sword could easily snap in the middle of battle.

Damn, after reading comments I am kind of happy that I don't know shit about blacksmithing, ignorance is bliss

@Bluehammer12 It isn't ideal, but I wouldn't say it's horrible tbh. The Ricasso is thin edge to edge but it looks like it actually thickens width-wise, judging from the point of the bevels appearing to point outward. Additionally, while not to this extent, there are some historical longswords that do have a ricasso that thins toward the base - the Danish longsword being one example.

edit: The fact that he made it by casting it though, that's the real egregious thing here

Dex-chan lover
So take my opinion with a grain of salt as I am not an expert in blacksmithing, but I do believe there's more to making a blade than just heating liquid metal, throwing it in a mold, beating on it a bit, throwing it in water and then taking it to a sharpening table. I believe your result in doing it like that would get you a piece of metal that's as sturdy (and worthless) as a twig. If I remember correctly, you have to continually repeat the process or go through stuff like annealing (prepping the metal to be worked on), to get a functioning blade. There's also balance and weight distribution, where the weak and strong points are etc.

I'd like to go "Oh it's fantasy so no problem" but I think the author is trying to impress us with realism but it doesn't feel real.

@Hitspark that's the old way purify the iron and add carbon to make a steel, because the forge can't produce enough heat to melt iron. The mc using the modern way making iron and steel, melt it purify it add carbon and cast it. Because magic to melt iron exist?

Dex-chan lover
@setsu But he isn't purifying it, though. He's throwing it into a cast mold then he gets to hammering it, quenches it and basically calls it a day. For him to get any kind of purified metal he'd have to start working on Blooms using a Bloomery and he doesn't even have one (maybe I missed it somewhere?). Smelting isn't enough to completely purify a metal to be workable. Throwing raw ores into a smelter then immediately using the melted material and expecting good results wouldn't pan out very well.

SIGH, this is what im affraid of, tool maker dont use casting to make hardened steel tools, gravity by it self wont be able to make the result homogenous, free of air bubbles, and dense enough.
casting is for soft iron, not steel, the process of hammering and correct carbon content & quenching its part of what turn iron to steel.

well its true modern automotive engine is casted, but its using some precise material composition, alot of high tech wizardry, and the engine have to be thick to minimize the weakness of casting method.
but still high performance racing engines is forged or cut from block of alumunium, because casting is not good enough.

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the chapter!
She should just admit that the arrowheads worked too well and lost them due to the arrow piercing through the deer, the trees behind it, and kept going till morning. XD

Dex-chan lover
protip: if a tiger girl offers you some sinew to eat YOU EAT THE FUCKING SINEW

reu

Dex-chan lover
Did this fucker just CAST a iron sword? That shit would crumble the first time it hit something, also, good luck getting it hot enough
Why make a novel about a blacksmith if you don't care about smithing and won't bother doing the most basic research? Holy shit nip novelists truly are a blight upon this cursed realm of ours

Dex-chan lover
Y'all seem to forget that isekai authors believe that "it just works". You'll rarely see a manga author who actually does much research when it comes to specific topics or crafts, so it makes me appreciate it even more when I actually see one.

Dex-chan lover
Not an expert, but I'm pretty sure you don't cast swords. They'd be way too heavy to use

Users who are viewing this thread