Kakunaru Ue wa - Ch. 28 - Don't Know

Dex-chan lover
Her type is disgusting
That's kinda the point, actually. That her fantasy of a hot, broody, possessive and preeeetty close to abusive guy(in reality he'd be abusive, that's what those guys are like) isn't real. She thinks that's what she's into, but she actually isn't. From the moment she met him, Yuu's enthusiasm for their shared hobby, his support for her art, his earnestness and love for the stories and characters he makes, and his reliability have all combined with his short and cute appearance to have her almost instantly fall for him. She just didn't quite understand that she did.

Cause, well, like real people like people who are pleasant and have good things about them. People who make you happy to be around them, who make you feel cared for and admired. The fantasy of an aloof guy who makes you feel special by being possessive of you is an understandable one, but its not a real one. You'll never find someone like that. You'll find a manipulative monster who breaks you down and makes you feel like he's doing you a favor by letting you hang around.

I was initially a bit confused by this character arc because it felt like she was always into him, but I actually really like how its shaken out. It adds a lot of authenticity to her. She's actually a type of nerd I'm familiar with, someone who doesn't really get the idea of romance because its something that happens in stories and not between people. Falling in love with someone who shares your interests, helps you, and cares about your well-being is odd because that's not how it goes. They corner you in a hall and tell you that they've had their eye on you. Or they step in when you're being assaulted by a bunch of shadowy guys. Not... this, not something human and natural.

So yeah her ideal man sucks and that's why she's single, cause she's been waiting for a broody bishie to claim her and those aren't real.

Dex-chan lover
Dude fell unconscious due to staying underwater too long (I guess). And when he woke up, he was almost knocked out again within 0.5 seconds.

Bold of the mangaka to put a pic showing a joycon and some uno cards in there as if copyright laws don't exist. Zero. Fucks. Given.

Four minutes of oxygen deprivation is when permanent brain damage starts to set in

Fed-Kun's army
Running from her feelings in a very literal sense. I'm fine with "I don't know." It's a lot better than him hearing her say, "We're just friends," or something like that, which is what a lot of other manga would have done.

Double-page supporter
Sounds like she has some unrealistic expectations about romance and love. I think, a lot of people (myself included) go through this - whether it’s dreaming of a bad boy or a gyaru who’s into otaku stuff.

Unfortunately, the ideal exists only in our heads, not IRL. Realizing that is one thing, but putting in the effort to appreciate qualities like patience, understanding or dedication - qualities that actually contribute to a healthy relationship - is another. Changing the mindset is hard, but it might be the only path to a love story with a happy ending.

Double-page supporter
Damn, we dodged two awful drawn out drama arcs in one week. Between this and Sono Bisque there might be a shred of hope for romance plots in Manga.

Users who are viewing this thread