Kami Neko Mii-chan to Neko Youhin Shoukanshi no Isekai Funtouki - Vol. 1 Ch. 10 - On the road to quinto again

Dex-chan lover
@CriszaledexAlterB Lazy Dungeon Master
I was referring the novel(j-novel has both the novel and manga) but you can find the manga here as well. That particular event happens in chapter 10;
https://mangadex.org/chapter/759766/23

Aggregator gang
hmmm... for some reason when I was reading this chapter, this scene reminds me to series To Aru Majutsu no Index where Touma vs Accelerator. Accelerator he control the atmosphere, compressing the air and created plasma with it. At this point, I think this MC just ain't just a mere noob now.

Dex-chan lover
It kinda pains me to read this kind of thing. I like it, but if you're going to include physics-based skills, at least do the research please.

Hydrogen and oxygen together, even compressed, would not have sufficient force in the way it was applied here.

Fun fact: I'm pretty sure that a byproduct of hydrogen-oxygen combustion is water vapor.* (But I wouldn't mind if you wanted to verify that, because science class was a long time ago...)

*Fun fact is not necessarily relevant to the manga chapter.
**Edited because I was technically wrong.

Group Leader
Yo can we talk about the range of his magic?

Hydrogen in dry atmosphere at sea level consists of only 0.00005 mol% and since H2 gas is light, it tends to rise up and rarely found in pure H2 form. Whilst ignition can occur at volumetric ratio to air of 4%. ANSI safety guidelines dictate that detonability limit is at 18.3-59% at standard composition of oxygen in the air.

Plus, if we go by the MC insistence of increasing the concentration of the already aplenty oxygen (only 1 O2 is required every 2 H2), we can surmise that he might have sucked out all hydrogen gases from dozens if not hundreds of kilometres cubed of air surrounding him.

Dex-chan lover
This must be just about the most half-assed drawing of a fortified town I have ever seen in all of manga history.

Double-page supporter
The mc just got the ability to suffocate anyone at will.

And he was worried about not being a cheat character.

Contributor
Mii-chan only appeared like twice. 0/10 chapter. Sad. Shameful.

Dex-chan lover
wait... where is the picture of mii in the credit page?... im sad...

Double-page supporter
@Youn0 Yeah, I was thinking along those lines, too. How does making the rocks wet help get them out of the way?

Dex-chan lover
@kampervan A very good point, assuming the same atmospheric composition as Earth (which is likely, considering how little actual research the author has done, if any)

I like isekai, and appreciate them trying to add in scientific knowledge as an advantage, but this is ridiculous.

Dex-chan lover
@Youn0 , @rebel16 - doing some research, yes, hydrogen does explode. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_safety
And the author was in position to hear about explosions on Fukushima-1.
And don't forget - all that extra oxygen is a hazard on its own - it can make most things burn down.

Dex-chan lover
@flannan Yeah, ok, like I said, science class was a long time ago. You're right, my bad.

There is the problem of getting enough gas, which @kampervan covered in his comment. And still, even if they produced an explosion with enough force to push those rocks (which shouldn't have shattered, because physics), they all would have died in the blast at that range.

Dex-chan lover
@kampervan
Nice to find another person interested in how things actually work. My idea was to blow pure oxygen on a wood fire to weaken the rocks; the other was to compress the air and then let it go, with the same effect of an explosion. But then he went and pulled out the hydrogen out of his ass... maybe that's how the skill works

Wow... let's do the math...

Let's establish some numbers first.
Let's assume this guy only needs 1kg of Hydrogen.

Density of Air (Dair) = 1.225 kg/m3
Percentage of Hydrogen in the Atmosphere (PH) = 0.000055%
Let Mair rep. mass of air.
Let Vair rep. volume of air.

The amount of air this guy has to sift through (in kg) to get 1 single kilogram of hydrogen is:
Mair * PH = 1kg
Mair = 1kg / PH
Mair ≈ 18000 kg

The volume of air this guy has to sift through is:
Mair/ Dair = Vair
Vair ≈ 15000 m3

That is roughly 6 Olympic sized swimming pools! Just for 1 kg of Hydrogen!

As to why 1 kilogram of Hydrogen is important, when it reacts to oxygen, like in an explosion, it releases a lot of energy!!!
Here are some more numbers.

1 kg of Hydrogen reacting with 8kg of Oxygen = 121 Mega Joules
1 kg of TNT exploding = 4.18 Mega Joules

1 kg of Hydrogen releases roughly the same amount of energy as 30 kg of TNT.
I'm no demolitions expert, but I'm going to assume that 30 kg of TNT can do the job of kersploding those boulders depending on application, like drilling and setting charges.

Like, how fast is this guy filtering the air of Hydrogen!? Maybe there are simpler ways he's getting it, like reacting certain compounds in the air to produce hydrogen? Who the hell knows!?

How come the people of Quinto weren't working to remove those boulders? They were in clear view of the town, after all, and it seems like a fairly important road. Or did our MC, his waifu, and the 3rd wheel just 'splode the workers on the other side along with the boulders?

Users who are viewing this thread