Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san - Vol. 14 Ch. 114 - Detour (Part 1)

Double-page supporter
thanks for the explanation at the end... it really helped understanding the meaning of that part... its not easy to translate, specially when its hidden meanings, wordplays, etc.
and i wonder if part 2 is them in the future going back there... :D

I really wouldn’t mind if you had just kept the original numbers and explained at the end but it is a better way to keep the meaning in general for the translation.
I mean I am not an english native and didn’t get the meaning of 143 until you explained at the end, I was trying to think it in japanese and couldn’t figure it out until the last page haha.

Dex-chan lover
"4-1-5=yo-i-ko(i)=good love" in the borders would have been fine, and at least in my opinion, preferred.
Thanks for the consideration though.

Dex-chan lover
"They say if you write the name of your crush you'll be together forever"
>Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san enters the chat
Success has already been planted.

This is the first part of Detour. For the next two chapter, we will focus on two other couple in two 8 pages chapter.

Double-page supporter
Translator-kun is trying so hard, don't forget to take a break!

Cuteness levels were heightened. This one felt a lot nicer than their usual shtick due to the different setting. The explanation at the end was very much appreciated. 😄

Fed-Kun's army
I somehow want the family to go there and Chi seeing their name.

For a moment I was really afraid there would be some kind of drama. Thank the romcom gods we don't have that here.

Thanks for the translation, great insight on the tricky part. It's a really creative solution and may even be used in other languages (without the nerf in the step count as most pronouns are written with more than a single letter, unlike in English).

Double-page supporter
Litteral translation isn't good translation. Keeping the meaning, localizing for the readers' culture is what a translator job is. You're not here to give a lesson about a culture (that's the story's work). As it's said in italian: traduttore traditore (translator traitor); you can't translate everything but you have to try conveying meaning. And while your solution is probably not ideal (pros translators may find one), it's better than a note that is not part of the story and risk getting the reader out of it. Thanks for the work, the result is as good as always.

Double-page supporter
aaaaaaaaa what a beautiful chapter oh my goodness i cannot wait until this (hopefully) gets animated bc it seems like the kinda one they'll put in a special episode and make even more perfect <3 nishikata's lil blush when he sees how happy she is is too precious 😭

415 feels like a fuckton of stairs...
Based on some cursory googling, 7 inches is a typical rise for a step. That would make their climb a vertical rise of about 240 feet. They should be tired!

i'd prefer you keep the original pun and explain it later rather than completely localize everything

because it related to how long the stairs in the story actually were

Users who are viewing this thread