Kasane to Subaru - Ch. 22

Gu7

Dex-chan lover
i'm dying

flashbang.gif

Dex-chan lover
squeeee I have no idea whether Subaru’s an egg that’ll hatch, but I’ll be squeeing the entire time. :D
there's definitely been some :thonk: moments but my money personally is on no egg, he asserted in no uncertain terms he was a man in the earlier chapters and he still seems to think of himself in that way, at least for now

Dex-chan lover
squeeee I have no idea whether Subaru’s an egg that’ll hatch, but I’ll be squeeing the entire time. :D
One of the most interesting things about this manga is that Subaru doesn't, in any way, see himself as female. He just likes female fashion better. The separation of identity and presentation is an angle that is very rarely explored in a sympathetic light.

Fed-Kun's army
I agree that it's very clear Subaru isn't trans, but in my opinion this does not detract from the story in any capacity. I think there's undeniable value in exploring different types of relationships with gender and gender expression, especially when they fall outside of the explicit binary of "I'm a man / I'm a woman".

Of course, there are also some amazing trans-focused manga out there that blow it out of the park, but I'm still very fond of the niche Kasane to Subaru fills, personally. "Otoko wo Yamete Mita ~Gan ni Natta no de Josou shite Koi wo suru Koto ni Narimashita~" is a manga that doesn't have many chapters so far, but it's shaping into a really compelling trans narrative if you're interested!

(also my crops have been HELLA watered by this chapter :qq: tysm for the tl)

Dex-chan lover
Ohhhhhhhhh God.

Punching the air right now. So. Fricking. Happy. 😍

Subaru really was surprisingly smooth at the end there. Possibly because he had no idea he was being smooth. 🤭

Thanks for the translation.

Adding to the egg discourse, I think that as the story currently stands it's a no egg situation but that (like chameowmile says more eloquently) it's pretty cool representation of gender identity and presentation diverging and that's nice. But I also think it'd be nice if Subaru's understanding of his own gender evolves with the story and his increasing self-acceptance. Identity can be fluid and evolving as our understanding of ourselves and the world change. Ultimately, I think either version of the story could be a banger and if the quality continues to be as high as it is then I reckon the author will pull it off whichever direction they ultimately go.

Users who are viewing this thread