Kaya-chan wa Kowakunai - Vol. 5 Ch. 30 - "I'm watching you" is not scary

Dex-chan lover
Interesting twist! The cool visual effect present since the first chapter ended up being quite ominous.

Dex-chan lover
no way... i alway belived that her turning dark was just a manga effect but it is actually an in universe ocurrence, gotta recontextualize many panels

also, not shade translator, but i think it would better to not point the small details like that one note, let the people notice organically
I shared the same believed, damn so everyone can see it

Dex-chan lover
So everyone has noticed how her powers are becoming less and less effective right?
They aren't becoming less effective. The problem is that the ghosts are becoming more complex, so the way they "work" is now getting way beyond her understanding. Kaya is just a kindergartener, so her understanding of what ghosts are actually doing is very limited, and she only knows how to beat up what she can see in front of her. We already saw this problem very early on with the suicide ghost, because at the time she couldn't comprehend why the original body was still around after she'd whacked the ghost. Later with the mirror teacher, she didn't really understand the situation because what she could see was a fairly "normal" person who's actually nicer than the original. In this particular case, she could only see the direct attack on the old guy and didn't bother to look into the source of the problem. Her power itself is still extremely effective and in more recent chapters even seems to be growing, but she isn't mentally equipped to solve supernatural problems because she's really just a child. Basically, she's an unguided nuke that needs an operator who knows what they're doing.

Man I have been so spoiled by the previous chapters with the moving ghosts that on page 10 and 12 I was ready for the eyes to blink but them not seemed to make the scene eerier

Dex-chan lover
We
They aren't becoming less effective. The problem is that the ghosts are becoming more complex, so the way they "work" is now getting way beyond her understanding. Kaya is just a kindergartener, so her understanding of what ghosts are actually doing is very limited, and she only knows how to beat up what she can see in front of her. We already saw this problem very early on with the suicide ghost, because at the time she couldn't comprehend why the original body was still around after she'd whacked the ghost. Later with the mirror teacher, she didn't really understand the situation because what she could see was a fairly "normal" person who's actually nicer than the original. In this particular case, she could only see the direct attack on the old guy and didn't bother to look into the source of the problem. Her power itself is still extremely effective and in more recent chapters even seems to be growing, but she isn't mentally equipped to solve supernatural problems because she's really just a child. Basically, she's an unguided nuke that needs an operator who knows what they're doing.
well, other than being consumed by extreme rage/grief, or dying 'dumbing' you down or so, you'd think there'd be some 'ancient' or even just older adult ghosts that died that would've been smart enough to manipulate someone like kaya by now, tho she does seem to solve most things more with force/crushing than communicating with the ghosts to move on 'peacefully'

Group Leader
Good point. It’s not really a TL Note, so I should remove it. Initially, I put it there because I anticipated some readers would be confused as to why Mero-sensei is speaking strange. Else, it’s just an annotation.
I didn't notice anything strange about Mero-sensei's speech! Pray tell, what was it you originally had noted? You can use inline spoilers or
multi-line spoilers
as you wish.

(I, personally, did notice that her mole is still on the wrong side.)

Dex-chan lover
If only our IRL problems could be solved just with the judgmental stares of a group of munchkins. So cu--

Oh. Oh my. :worry:

Kudos to the author for throwing such a big curveball and casting so much of what we thought we knew about even just reading the story into doubt. :thumbsup:

Dex-chan lover
That teacher at the beginning was from the mirror chapter and, yep, her mold was still at the same place as at the end of that chapter.

Dex-chan lover
I didn't notice anything strange about Mero-sensei's speech! Pray tell, what was it you originally had noted? You can use inline spoilers or
multi-line spoilers
as you wish.

(I, personally, did notice that her mole is still on the wrong side.)
Sorry for not noticing your question until now. My note was about the very thing you observed, the placement of the mole.

By speaking strange, I just meant that I wanted to hint at why she’s shady (literally) when she says her “something evil is afoot” line.

Dex-chan lover
Hopefully Namu knows a thing or two if it ever comes to that point. Countdowns remind me of the 100% thing from Mob Psycho.
It might not since her powers as a priestess is very high.
I do think it happened to her mother though. The one who is like crazy and is in her room.

Double-page supporter
Reminder about the note from the author:
In chapter 9 page 4, Kaya says:
I don’t want my skin turn dark.
… that might NOT mean she doesn’t want to get a tan…

Dex-chan lover
So, mero-sensei (mirror-sensei??? Coincidence? Probably!) is still weird and not the original. But I wonder, is she actually evil? Just because she was replaced by another entity doesn't mean that the new entity is bad. My thinking is, what if the entity in her place isn't the same as the one that did the replacing. Perhaps the thing that pulled her in replaces her with a mirror copy. But that copy didn't have anything in particular to do with the replacement.

Dex-chan lover
lol, wait I'm reminded of what happened in Liar Satsuki whenever the angstussy Komachi saw people get covered in black residue.

Users who are viewing this thread