Kimetsu no Yaiba

that new cover looks nice ... i mean look at her feeling all comfy and calm and peaceful

Group Leader
Official English release for chapter 187 is here, and it's free:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006025

Double-page supporter
Maaaan, i still wanna see anon's translation of Kimetsu :/
i hope this is just a little delay

Just thought I'd share this here:

You can read the latest Kimetsu no Yaiba & other Shonen Jump works in English &/or Spanish, free of charge, no registration required, legally while supporting mangaka - all here in: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/updates

This is the official English release website. I hope everyone who are fans who care for the industry will start going there. If you'd like to shit on me for being a naive fan who just want to show my appreciation & support, while enjoying shit for free without letting others uninvolved profit off of someone else's hard work, then you're welcome to do so. Have a good day!

Why are Mangaplus chapters cluttering up the chapter list now? Their translator doesn't even translate any of the Japanese terms. It's half-incomprehensible in a lot of key chapters.

Group Leader
@redlar perhaps you could provide a few examples of this?

@SuppaTenko @BanditHadron This isn't done by Manga Plus themselves, it's by Lymus, the Global Moderator. This is a standard MangaDex function where there are official releases of the manga in English that are also available for free.

"Pillars" is left as "Hashira," "Demon Moons" is left as "Kizuki," the ranking system of the demon slayers is left in the archaic Japanese forms and not explained by a TL note or translated, and most of the techniques used by the demon slayers are just romanized. I wouldn't have as much of an issue with this if they included TL notes, or at least explained them once, but they don't include them and it makes the script incoherent. Japanese terms that might as well be meaningless are left in, yet localizes all the honorifics.

Double-page supporter
If you don't like mangaplus chapters you can just block it in the settings

Group Leader
It's because "Hashira" is a title; they're not literally pillars like in the case of the Pillar Men from JoJo (cue Pillar Men theme). Similarly, "Demon Moon" is from a direct translation of the kanji that forms the title of the demons, but again, they're not literally moons.
I haven't seen much of the Manga Plus translations since I only learned about it about two chapters ago, but I'll need to see more of it to know how incomprehensible they are as you say.

Can someone add https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100009 as the Official English site?

Power Uploader
@Maiorem The main problem is that the official translator doesn't care about the manga and only spends minimum effort on it. There are many errors and inconsistencies that can be avoided just by simple proofreading, paying attention to context, or just not making unnecessary changes. I'll list a few examples on the top of my minds (warning: long rant)

- In chapter 140, Zenitsu looking for someone who is unnamed in the text, but the translator just goes and inserts Muzan's name there. It's an unnecessary assumption that is proved wrong almost immediately.

- Similarly, the Upper Moons never mention Muzan by name, but the translation lets them do it anyway. It's not that big of a deal, until you remember that demons are not supposed to speak Muzan's name or they would die horribly. Plot contradiction out of nowhere.

- I'm pretty sure that Inosuke is not a woman, but when Douma is dying in chapter 163, he thinks about Inosuke: "She doesn't even know basics of swordsmanship". Either they doesn't proofread the translation and misses a typo, or they really think that Douma is referring to either of the girls (which is impossible because they received formal training unlike Inosuke) Even if you don't read the story or don't remember the detail, that thought bubble is literally plastered on an Inosuke panel ffs.

- Chapter 166, Genya switches from calling Sanemi 'aniki' to the more affectionate and childish term 'nii-chan' in just a few pages, signaling their reconciliation. This nuance is complete gone in the official translation, and Genya simply calls his brother by name the whole time. I understand if they don't want to keep the honorifics, but at least do something to reflect that important change (like letting Genya call Sanemi 'brother') , because it's part of character developments.

- Chapter 185, Tomioka thinks he has to find another sword from a fellow water breath user to replace his broken weapon, and the translation is 'We have to recover the sword...' as if there is a specific sword that they have to recover.

- Chapter 186, a kid named Sumire is referred to as 'she'. Next chapter, same scene, same conversation, the same kid is referred to as 'them'. So the translator doesn't remember the gender of the baby from the previous chapter, and doesn't bother to go back to check.

- Inosuke's catchphrase ('pig assault' in fan version) is translated 3 different ways at various points : coming through -> headlong rush -> boar rush, with the first two translations completely miss the pun.

-Regarding not translating Hashira and Kazuki, it might be okay if they had TL notes explaining what the terms mean literally. The last page of Tomioka Gaiden has a line to this effect "The strongest swordsman have the responsibilities to act as pillars of the organization." Leaving Moon Demons untranslated also fails to convey the demons' nocturnal nature, and the eventual juxtaposition with breath of the Sun.

-Lastly, someone compiled a list of errors in the first few physical volumes: https://imgur.com/a/7Y9TU78 . The level of unprofessionalism displayed is almost comical.

-Even when the manga is already super popular, you still have shit like this on the fucking cover: https://i.redd.it/ttzmmlxn8o541.jpg

TL;DR: The half-assed and low effort official translation have some glaring mistakes (careless assumption, wrong interpretation of context, mispronouncing characters, missing nuance, etc) that wouldn't be there with proper quality checking. These errors might not affect the overall plot, but they seriously ruins my reading enjoyment. I wouldn't accept this level of quality from fan translators, let alone professionals. Once is a mistake, twice is a pattern, and three times is a habit. The translator (or the whole system) clearly doesn't give a shit about the story and just goes through the motion weekly. I don't know Japanese, so I can't speak for how accurate the anons translation is, but they actually spend their time proofreading their releases. While the official translator can't keep a character pronounce consistent over 2 chapters, anons always make sure the sword moves are exactly the same as what they translated years ago, even though no one would notice either way. If they make a mistake they will quickly go back and correct it. The level of care and commitment alone is enough to make me wait for their version, not to mention the better image quality.

I wouldn't discourage people from supporting official translation, but I think they could do much better if they wanted to.

Group Leader
Thanks @youdontknowwho, I wasn't aware that Manga Plus and Viz are sharing the same translator, and I've already heard so much about the infamy of Viz' translation quality. A pity that they would stick to the same translator who produces poor quality work, but I guess that would still be cheaper than hiring a translation/proofreading/editing team like what most scanlator groups have, especially since this guy John Werry is apparently responsible for translating quite a number of titles at the same time so he's got too much work on his hands to do a proper job. I myself was once a translator for a two-man scanlating team for the Pokemon Special manga, but after I started attending university I had less time to do the translation and proofreading and editing, and my partner who handled the scanning, cleaning and typesetting also just started art college so we eventually stopped, but my point is that I know what's necessary to produce good quality translations, especially for manga chapters, and from the examples you gave, John Werry should be fired. I wouldn't mind doing manga translations for a living if I'm paid sufficiently, but living here in Malaysia the pay for translations is not very high.

I'm starting to feel why Obanai distrusts women. I too have a deep distrust in them due to my aunts and mother being mentally abusive to me. I don't take confessions well because I would assume that woman was joking. Though, in time, I may be in Obanai's situation or even worse. Overall, I do route for his survival for the woman who never shows malice to him.

Users who are viewing this thread