Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House - Vol. 17 Ch. 177 - Someone I Love

Dex-chan lover
Is parfait so popular with Japanese girls? I am not Japanese, and certainly not a girl, so it’s a little strange for me to see so many parfait in every other anime.

Aggregator gang
momoko is just the realest

@SuperOniichan not sure about japanese girls but as a straight dude who's about to be 29 years old, parfaits are the bomb.

Is it just me or are all real strawberries not actually that nice? I've tried them multiple times and every time, they just taste sour or watery, and not at all sweet or nice. I've even eaten half of one, after the other half was eaten by someone who confirmed it was a delicious strawberry, and found the experience lacking.

Strawberry jam? Delicious. Strawberry milkshake? Sublime. Strawberry ice-cream? Amazing! Actual strawberries? Eh. So whenever I see people eating real strawberries like in this manga and reacting like it's heaven, I don't get it.

Also cute chapter. I would also like to see Momohana's cute faces.

Dex-chan lover
so, how *expensive* is an actual parfait in real life ?

also, anyone noticed how, once again, momoko went for the extravagant ice cream float when su chan got a modest cup of coffee ?

@Bonker This might sound snooty but you just have to try good strawberries. They absolutely can be sweet, though there will always be some acidity in the taste which is part of what makes them so delicious IMO. Pair them with cream and you have the makings of a great dessert.

+1 to parfaits being delicious.

Double-page supporter
@Bonker Nah, you're right. Most store-bought strawberries are bland and relatively sour due to extensive human manipulation, so they've become bland AF. They're better if you manage to find them in the wild or if you go to a specialized farm

I love the relationship between Momoko and Sumire, though I wish Momoko would meet Kiyo because I bet she'd love her too!

Also for strawberries, I've always found that small strawberries that are bright red and kind of glossy with very little white where the leaves/stem are tend to taste the absolute best. They're hard to find in normal grocery stores though, especially once they're out of season...

Dex-chan lover
@littlepersephone she already met Kiyo, its to repay her for the bento (its from Momoko running event if you want to remember) and she even ate her dinner.

Dex-chan lover
@Bonker: Strawberry from Japan and Korea and definitely top quality in the world for their size and taste (you can check this by google). Those strawberries are extremely juicy and no sour AT ALL only sweetness all over and really delicious, you won't find anyone in the bunch that tastes the bland and sour strawberry you normally have at the market. The quality and care the Japanese market affords its fruits is undeniable, to the point where it is common for high-end fruit to be offered as luxury gifts for special occasions.

Fruit is more expensive and luxurious in Japan, especially local specialities.

My sister had a parfaits in Japan when she visited a few years ago, the most expensive one was about 1300 yen, and she said the fruit in particular was very rich and sweet (actually, too sweet for her, she had about half then gave the rest to her friends)

Strawberry where i live are suite easy to find (Corsica) and u generally have them for a good Price

They are suite good and the only Times when they are sour / watery are when market import the spain ones

It depends of what you like but I prefer strawberries with a nice balance of sour and sweet flavour. That's kinda complicated since you need to eat those in the perfect point of maduration. Too green strawveries are watery. I'm kinda glad strawberry are kinda cheap here (at spring) so I can eat plenty of them. But yeah it also depends of the variety, and how mature the fruit is before they take it off of the plant.

Double-page supporter
Looks similar to the parfait at Q-pot, this cafe in Tokyo: https://images.app.goo.gl/e6RMBrkWD5wp6Srq8 it looks fake but actually tastes great, coz they use fresh cream, local fruit and all that good stuff.
If anyone goes to Japan, check out the fruit parlors in the mall basements- the parfaits are almost luxury goods lol

Dex-chan lover
Strawberries sold American and European supermarkets have been bred for size, yield and durability instead of taste. Rosie or Earliglow strawberries have the best taste but you might need to go to a farmer's market for strawberries that actually taste like strawberries.

Users who are viewing this thread