Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu. - Vol. 22 Ch. 296 - Indian Poker

@TheMinester
vBzsvSW.png

Dex-chan lover
@R-Mod Still don't see what that has to do with the shonen-genre, which you brought up by the way, genius. Also, you're acting as if this manga doesn't push some weak-ass attempt at being "heartfelt" every third chapter these days. They definitely portray Komi as a character you're supposed to sympathise with and root for, and it seems the general fan-reaction is to just ignore how badly written this manga can be at times. The reason I'm still reading is because I do actually like some of the side characters, or am I not allowed to read it if I don't enjoy every aspect of it?

@VINT64 Fair enough, this manga really gets on my nerves sometimes, but I can see that my phrasing could be less antagonistic.

@Nihilist1 Lol, I can't deny that I'm basically just coming off as a hater at this point, and I guess I basically am one. I just feel like these last few chapters have been so bad, and it kinda annoys me that no one seems to even have a problem with it. It feels good to rant about it, so if I feel like complaining that's what I'm gonna do, but I can understand why my ranting is annoying to you.

Dex-chan lover
@Destroyman oh, nice to hear. Because I have pretty much claims myself. But still I'd like to hear your complains first. Can you elaborate a little, what exactly was so bad? I failed to figure out of your "all of that is bullshit"

@Dorunga
4) boobs
5) Kishi-san
6) Spanish inquisition

Dex-chan lover
@VINT64 If you're asking about my complaints on the series as a whole, to quickly summarize my biggest gripes lie with how badly written I think the three protagonists are, how flawed the premise of the manga is, how it takes itself way too seriously, and how rarely anyone seems to point out these flaws. I can go more in-depth, but that's the gist of it.

If you're asking about my complaints with this specific chapter, it's just that I'm annoyed at the fact that Komi always wins in this story, and yet we're still supposed to buy that she struggles with anxiety. She has not faced a single real obstacle in her entire life, and every character either likes her or literally worships her, yet the story still acts like I'm supposed to root for her and care about her stupid problems. Basically I'm just salty because I think she's a Mary Sue who always comes out on top, yet she still acts all gloomy and depressed.

Honestly, at this point I don't actually read the chapters, I just sift through it for the pictures and get a broad Idea of what's what. Well, unless it's a chapter with actual plot development. In which case I do read in earnest and am thankful for the translators work

Dex-chan lover
@Destroyman oh yeah, I see. That kind of bullshit. "She is way too lucky! Not a single person would be treated like that if they behave like that! There is a more precise depiction of what'll happen with Komi in real world!" Yep, I think that it's overdone. Not that bad as Tadano's constant crossdressing gag, but still annoying.
In author's defence, I dare to say that "her anxiety" part is pretty much realistic nonetheless. And I say that out of personal experience. I am considered to have better luck in many aspects of life. Not that big as Komi has, but still, I think that statistically speaking, I shouldn't have attained things like A, B or C. And still I feel annoyed and frustrated about things I don't have, or failed to achieve. "Why the heck I have A,B and C, but no goddamn D, E and F?!! I never ever asked for this, I want only that and that, and I can't be happy without those things!" Sometimes I even fall into depression. And I always, always get irritated when someone says, that I'm weird, or too greedy, or that I should be happy with what I have. No, I shouldn't, and I'm not happy, and I have the right to long for entirely different things, and I have the right to feel gloomy and depressed, and I would even gladly exchange things I have for things I want. After all, the things one wants the most are the things one doesn't have.
And yes, some of Komi's worries and internal monologues strongly resonated with me. Like that, before her school trip in 1st year. You say that she has not faced a single real obstacle in her entire life, you can even say that she imagined her own problems. But that's how many other people do. Even when for you the entire idea of imagining problems for oneself feels stupid, for them they are, like, real problems. And, honestly, I'm glad if you never faced anything stupid like that in your own life and you can't relate to that. But, like, too much people commit suicides nowadays because they imagined their own problems. "They're all stupid too", yeah. I don't know. I like to see that compassion in this series. When Komi (once in a year) succeeds in outspeaking her worries, and her friends (mostly Tadano) hear her out and help her feel better. Despite an enormous number of irritating characters this manga has, I'd like to have some others as friends myself.

Dex-chan lover
Im here for my chapterly quota of "reee why no progress this manga sucks!" salt. This mine is as bountiful as always, I see.

Dex-chan lover
@VINT64 I can see that some people relate to certain aspects of her character, and that's totally fine of course, but personally I just think the author goes way too far with basically coddling her character and never having her face any hardship. I understand that depression isn't always logical, but in Komi's case it just makes her unlikable to me as she seems to take for granted just how great her life is. It's basically a story about a person with what can only be described as the perfect life, and yet they still mope around and lack confidence despite being good at everything and not having a single person dislike them. It just becomes ridiculous to the point of annoyance for me. Maybe I would dislike Komi slightly less if she put more effort into changing herself, or actually worked for her friendships, but she does neither. Tadano basically does all the groundwork for her, and every single person she meets already likes her and wants to be her friend, so she doesn't need to do a single thing, and yet she always wins.

Don't take this as me saying it's wrong for you to relate to the character though, it's just why I personally get annoyed with her. And like you said, despite the large amount of irritating characters this manga has, there are some really likeable ones as well, so it's not like there isn't anything of value to the series as a whole.

Dex-chan lover
@Destroyman uh-huh. I think that you envy her. Haha, lol, of course not. But in my opinion, it always comes from comparing yourself with the character. "In her place I'd be happy, and try harder, and mine more coal per shift etc etc". It all comes down to personal standarts. I may be so easy on Komi because I'm huge lazy piece myself, but I feel she is doing just right.
And yes, as I said, if you come to me and say that my life is perfect and I should be happy, I would only be irritated and respond that you don't know a thing. This vicious cycle of mutual annoyance, without any efforts in understanding each other.
Oh yeah, you can think of it as counterweight: in response to her actual situation being so happy all-around, her mental state is a total mess, so that overall it equals out. Karma in action. Still, I wouldn't envy her if her position goes with such horrible self-esteem. I mean, my self-esteem is pretty low, but even I am surprised sometimes, "does she really think in this situation, that others would react with that and that? Seriously? How low do you think of yourself! Unbelievable!"
And looking at 295 it looks like she still has the same problems. Weird, even after 1.5 years, power of friendship and love still hasn't cured it. Then what will?

Dex-chan lover
@VINT64 Lol, envy isn't that far off. I can't deny that I wish I was gorgeous, rich, effortlessly aced every exam, and was surrounded by people who worshipped the ground I walked on. Seems like a pretty sweet deal.

To me the problem is that her mental state, while a mess, doesn't stem from anything. She literally has nothing wrong with her life, which I'm sure can't be said for you, or any other real life person for that matter. She doesn't work to better herself, her victories are just given to her. She acts as if she tries really hard, but her idea of "trying hard" is giving the absolute minimal effort and still reaping all the rewards and being told she's "strong". It's not really that I care whether she's lazy (I'm a lazy piece of shit too), I just feel like the author never does anything to even remotely challenge her, and that makes for an incredibly dull concept for a protagonist. Like you said the fact that even after 295 chapters she's barely changed at all doesn't exactly improve my impression of her. I admittedly kinda just hate Mary Sue characters in general though, so there are plenty of other protagonists I hate for similar reasons, but she is admittedly one of the worse examples I can think of.

Dex-chan lover
@Destroyman doesn't stem from anything? Wow, okay, speaking about the facts: each and every person (in the most idiotical way the genre of comedy can allow) says something like "I can't be friends with Komi-san, she is a goddess and I'm not worthy". And Komi, for plot reasons, can hear only the first part, before the comma. For lunch, all people run away because "they don't deserve to eat with Komi-goddess", and she is left alone. What I want to say is, reasons for her state are understandable. Though this idea the whole plot is based on (people around keeping distance because not worthy) is more stupid than me in my best days. To that I agree, it's as unrealistic as it seems to be.
May I ask, what is your experience with people who have low self-esteem. Because I have the impression that you don't know many, and don't know a lot about how they think and feel. Lack of self-esteem can make miracles (in negative sense) with a person's view of the world and themselves.
I'm an introvert myself. And when I saw that Komi was forced to go buy something at starbecks, I thought "this is evil! Author is the most cruel creature in the world! Also, kill Najem cockroach". When I saw Komi beinf forced to part-time at tissue dispensing or as miko in temple, I thought "but this is interacting with people! I'd rather die! Also, kill Najem cockroach". No matter how good I am now, in my highschool days I was more pathetic, and there were many things I feared of, the same way as Komi. And remembering myself, I find her strong. Like, really strong for an introvert. Of course I'm peeved that she doesn't have any mishaps my life was always full with, with the worst thing being "arrive as 2nd in a race", and people forgiving her because of "goddess" premise. I wish it was that fault-forgiving for me too back in the day. But she goes through plenty of challenges, as for the introvert. I relate a lot, again.

Dex-chan lover
@VINT64 I'm an introvert too, but I'm not particularly shy or bad with social interaction. I do know people with low self-esteem, but they generally have understandable reasons for it, and they still don't rely on others to do everything for them like Komi does. But I won't harp on about that any further, I think you've heard enough from me about why I think Komi is a bad character lol.

Dex-chan lover
@Destroyman I think I haven't heard enough. I haven't seen Komi relying on others enough to say that she's freeloader, I thought when she gets a challenge she tries to resolve it herself, maybe I missed something. In any case, if we're stopping here for today, I stop with "Komi is a okay, but that world is sick, so sweet that my teeth ache and crumble".
lol.

Users who are viewing this thread