Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu.

@Nihilist1 Sangatsu no lion is beyond the petty quibbles of the reddit hordes imho. As for this manga it's as you say, a SOL-gag with a decent dash of romance that has developed as the characters have developed.

Look if people want an example of awful romcom with a go-nowhere plot and irritating cliche development then they should inflict Nisekoi on themselves...actually no don't do that it would be awful.

Aggregator gang
@Nihilist1 When there's no progression in the main point why bother introducing a romance subplot that you'll never develop on either? Mind you I haven't read maybe the past 100 or so chapters but even I ended up getting frustrated over the lack of progress when it comes to Komi's social anxiety/lack of social skills, and then to just introduce forced romance just for nothing gets on your nerves after a while. People always try and deflect the criticism this manga gets by saying ''It's not a Romance'', ''It's a SOL/gag manga it's not supposed to have any progression'', then why bother setting it up like things will change? I can think of plenty SOL/gag manga that are worth reading but this is just a waste of time cause it never delivers on what the majority of it's readers wants.

Double-page supporter
@icezone22 Remind me again why would I bother to reply to someone that purposefully skipping 100 chapters just to complain there is lack of progress in a SoL manga? That is like skipping the entire dessert and straight up complaining to the chef why there is no dessert lmao. That is just plain silly, I would rather not embarrassing myself if I were you.

I told you in the passage before that the manga has established its pacing consistently and it did exactly what it promised, komi steadily making friends and overcoming her disorder. You should be able to see (if you aren't purposefully SKIPPING chapters lol) how different komi is when she started until now, she is no longer that fidgety girl that we are used to and now actively seeking people in need of help with her own means that is shown through her daily antics and fooling around with her group, or in the few dedicated arcs. The progress was steadily paced and subtle, and in-lore trivia between side characters and their interactions with Komi are exactly the place where readers can find the depth that is currently ongoing between characters. So in a sense of 'progression' of the main story it has always been there in the chapters where people loved to call 'fillers', in the chapters YOU missed.

Onto the romance, when romance hint was dropped during onemine's introduction, I knew the manga will eventually shift its focus to finish this secondary plot in the future so when it gets more serious during 2nd year festival arc, I'm not entirely surprised. Yet despite all that the romance subplot has given komi's growth significantly, the way she handled manbagi's position as bff while in the same time trying to win over tadano is amusing to me. It is probably the first time komi knew she had something to lose in the matter and eventually pushing her even further in expressing her own though, and now we got to see her more confident in her verbal dialogue. Putting it off merely as 'forced' romance is just undermining how significant the romance subplot is in giving komi more character to the main story.

The way I see it, Oda is incorporating all these tropes together to eventually came out with similar conclusion, pushing komi out of its bubble. Komi making 100 friends is the main method on how the manga will progress, the romance subplot in this case is just another method for her to overcome it. This is why I said before that I regret the surge of romcom fans that only come for one thing and one thing only, asking komi-san just for its romance. It's like asking the manga for something it isn't even promised yet they judged it only according to one aspect only.

Anyone who likes to think that this Manga was meant to appeal to full romcom route is a moron. The pacing has been rather consistent and the humor hasn't really skipped a beat to tell you the truth. The people who read this and complain probably think that the Rental Girlfriend is a good romance manga anyways

Aggregator gang
@Nihilist1 I haven't skipped anything I dropped the series because I lost intrest in it, I pointed out the fact that I hadn't read most of the recent chapters because maybe something had changed unbeknown to me but judging by all the recent complaints I'm going to assume nothing has changed. I can't really argue with you on the matter of pacing cause it always end ups being a very subjective debate imo. But again I didn't ''miss'' anything besides the chapters I haven't read since I stopped reading it. I followed the series very early on and dropped it due to in my own opinion the pacing being too slow for my liking, though I can agree with you on your last point that people shouldn't expect a RomCom but you can't blame people for feeling baited in that regards.

Double-page supporter
@icezone22
I haven't skipped anything I dropped the series because I lost intrest in it, I pointed out the fact that I hadn't read most of the recent chapters because maybe something had changed unbeknown to me but judging by all the recent complaints I'm going to assume nothing has changed
Nah I would not advise you to keep doing this mate, it's fine if you don't like the manga no one forcing you to read this series but determining how the manga is currently going by looking on the complaints in the comment section? That's just whack lmao, do you even read their comments? They skipped the chapters like you did and I doubt you will find the 'objective' answer that you want lol.

can't really argue with you on the matter of pacing cause it always end ups being a very subjective debate imo
Uh-huh, and don't forget you are the one calling me out because the manga is 'lacking of progress' and the 'romance is so forced' and here you are commenting without a single point against mine. It's fine if you don't like the pacing but claiming it to not have any essence whatsoever either in its story or romance is just unfair to the series.

I can agree with you on your last point that people shouldn't expect a RomCom but you can't blame people for feeling baited in that regards
And why do you think I regretted the reddit surge in the first place? It's good people took notice of this manga but I can't help but annoyed seeing people complain about something that the manga doesn't even promise ever since its serialization.

Aggregator gang
@Nihilist1 Again I didn't skip anything lmao, I'm choosing not to read it. I'm not really calling you out or anything you don't need to take my opinion/response to you as a personal attack or anything like that. And why are you acting like other people's opinions are invalid? I take into account the people who still like it's opinions just as much as I do the negative ones, but I can definetly sympathize/agree more with the less favourable ones. The manga hasn't ''promised'' anything sure, but again you introduce an aspect of the story no matter how major or minor it is there's always gonna be a part who wants to see it developed more upon, like I'm sure there's thousands of Harry Potter fans just dying for JK Rowling to expand on the lore behind the Bank Gnomes lmao.

Double-page supporter
@icezone22
Again I didn't skip anything lmao, I'm choosing not to read it
The heck is the difference? You missed a lot of buildup that probably led you to make that conclusion that's what I meant.

And why are you acting like other people's opinions are invalid? I take into account the people who still like it's opinions just as much as I do the negative ones, but I can definetly sympathize/agree more with the less favourable ones.
I am sorry? Did I even explicitly saying your opinion is invalid? I simply explaining to you why your assessment is kind of unfair to the series because of how you simply undermining the story just because of 'lack of progress' and the 'forced romance' you mentioned about. And after I did explaining it you refused to build on your previous points. Who makes other's people opinion invalid here?

The manga hasn't ''promised'' anything sure, but again you introduce an aspect of the story no matter how major or minor it is there's always gonna be a part who wants to see it developed more upon, like I'm sure there's thousands of Harry Potter fans just dying for JK Rowling to expand on the lore behind the Bank Gnomes lmao.
I can agree with this one, it's unavoidable for every works out there. I don't really read harry potter but I get the gist.

Aggregator gang
@Nihilist1 Is reading 200 chapters out of 289 missing a lot of buildup to you? If something massive happened inbetween those chapters maybe I'd be better off picking it up again. And I didn't mean that you were trying to invalidate my opinion, but you act as if reading other people's opinions on something is an inherently bad move.

Double-page supporter
@icezone22 Yeah you kinda miss a lot imo because the environment of 2nd year really is different from 1st class. But hey it's up to you, don't force yourself to pick it back up again if you don't want to.

you act as if reading other people's opinions on something is an inherently bad move.
Again, where did I explicitly saying your opinion or others are invalid? Tell me where I went wrong so I can correct my wording so you or others won't have that impression in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread