Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu.

It's obviously far too late for this, but these last few chapters made me realize the series should have pivoted to Hitomi being the protagonist. I actually enjoyed these chapters. It felt like a story where there are characters who want to do things for reasons, and Hitomi is the engine whose meddlesome nature keeps it all in motion.

the fall off needs to be studied

I don't want to reread this whole-ass thing to figure it out, but I think the core issue has been the change in concept. I'll break it out like this:
Phase I: Everyone loves Komi purely because of her aura; not who she is. Komi is frightened and alienated by this. Tadano is level-headed enough to notice this. Silly, one-dimensional characters hoist their expectations on Komi, but now Tadano is able to intercede and allow these characters to actually see each other as individuals. This creates depth.
Phase II: This character depth allows for more complex plots and relationships between characters. Now there can be actual drama that the audience feels invested in.
Phase III: Everybody loves Komi because of who she is, and she is seemingly able to solve every issue because of this. Tadano and her now drift aimlessly through the sea of indistinguishable side-characters and their pointless problems we have no reason to care about.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
It's obviously far too late for this, but these last few chapters made me realize the series should have pivoted to Hitomi being the protagonist. I actually enjoyed these chapters. It felt like a story where there are characters who want to do things for reasons, and Hitomi is the engine whose meddlesome nature keeps it all in motion.

I agree. Pivoting towards an encapsulated Shouske spin-off sooner would have worked wonders for the manga, especially when considering that Shouske is pretty much be an alternative MC that could have easily taken the load off the main cast at any time.

The whole third year arc could have been a lot less of a slog and wouldn't stagnate with the author's constant barrage of barely memorable fodder characters.

Users who are viewing this thread