Koushaku Reijou no Tashinami - Vol. 4 Ch. 31

Dex-chan lover
Unlike some in this thread, I can't praise Bern that much, seeing as he still takes Yuri at face value. He's starting to see how bad she is for the kingdom, and how unfair things have been to his sister, but he still thinks Yuri's some innocent angel who's just too naive.

Dex-chan lover
@AlmondMagnum I mean, that's all we really know about her too, isn't it? Yuri is so bad for the kingdom that she's either a spy working to sabotage the country or some girl that's beyond stupid who has more charisma than any one person should.

Considering how incompetent she is and how she ends up making herself look so bad, I'm more inclined to think the latter possibility, though the former is easily possible as well.

Dex-chan lover
I'm surprised no one has commented on the reveal regarding Yuri being illegitimate. This adds several more layers of suspicion on what game she or the people backing her are playing.

We already know that the Alfred/GQ (Granny Queen) faction and the Armellia ducal faction are extremely annoyed that the daughter of a duke was dumped by Edward because he wanted to play lapdog for a baron's daughter. That alone brings evident loss of prestige on the royal family. Now, if the fact of her illegitimate birth comes to light after all of Edward's cringy gushing about her, the royals would be seen as complete fools.

Alfred's man, Ludius, dug up this dirt without much trouble. There has to be some huge payoff worth the gamble for those pushing Yuri into the royal family that they'd continue with their plan despite the risk of the fact of her parentage coming to light. The real enemy of the kingdom is still lurking in the shadows. Like a number of readers have surmised, someone from the rival kingdom seems like the logical suspect.

You know I live for the genuinely insightful commentary and speculation on this chapter but I just want to say I ship Alfred and iris so hard :(((( can she make a move on him before he reveals who he is pls!! Like it’s alr one of my favourites but it’d be even if it ended with Alfred and iris marrying ( so 2nd prince can choke) n ascend the throne! But for some reason I feel like they won’t end up together n that makes me sad

Dex-chan lover
@Psychronia
He should still be wary. It comes with the territory. Besides, you say she makes herself look bad, but does she? Does she really? Everyone in harem still thinks she's great, and so do the commoners she feeds. Even the dumb nobles on Ed's faction like her because she's good at flattery. The ones who don't like her are the nobles thinking of the long term interests of the kingdom, and how many of those are there? Could she ever bring them around anyway?

Bern says she's a dream-girl, but...maybe she's more avaricious and pragmatic than Iris or the Royals seems to currently valuate her to be. Probably born to a commoner, we have mere circumstantial evidence she's the illegitimate offspring of a baron (plus the Baron's adopted her). With the right bit of blackmail, she might not even be related to him. Living as a peasant in a circa 18th-century society probably isn't very pleasant or healthy, but if her mother was a maid good enough to work at the Royal Castle, that would've likely given Yuri at least a walking start at learning court/nobility etiquette and a bit of class too.

It's no guarantee, but there's a non-zero chance Yuri's just doing her best and succeeding wildly beyond even her own ability (and breaking up the Prince's engagement to Iris in the process, although it sounds like Iris dodged a bullet with that one). Yuri's naive alms-giving might simply be a peasant's notion helping the lower class, and her superfluous expenses well-measured for a princess-consort-to-be. She has shown some signs she's not lacking in intelligence after all.

As-is Iris will eat her for lunch politically, time permitting, so I'm hoping either Yuri gets a little more real depth as a character or that timetable gets moved along sooner rather than later I guess. Not that I don't enjoy the status quo as a reader, but it feels like it might get old fairly easily.

Whoo that was awesome. I do think the analogy that Bern gave is quite true, only once did he see Iris' hard work, did he realise how much he had been dwindling around and snapped out of the rosy dreams with Yuri. I'm looking forward to hearing about Alfred's next steps! Ooh so exciting~

Dex-chan lover
We were all like Mellice, wondering how the conversation between Yuri and Bern would turn out. Well, Yuri got dumped. For all of Yuri's show of care for Bern, and Bern's care for Yuri, he will no longer be influenced by her. As it is, Yuri has yet to show any form of malice.

It appears that Queen Eliya was counting on Edward making a scene to discredit him. Well that is the issue with someone as easy to manipulate as Edward; the nobles may want to have him be their puppet, but the fool will also play into other people's hands.

I'm surprised an engagement was allowed if someone as important as Queen Eliya still feels the need to investigate Yuri. But the investigation probably has the purpose of finding some dirt on Yuri in order to control her. After all, Queen Eliya is making it quite clear she has no intention of leaving the throne to Edward, as it's to dangerous. It's only been one chapter since Gazelle and Louis talked about how dangerous the nobility and already we see what happens behind the scene. Even Alfred is concealing his intentions from his close ally Queen Eliya. Although to be fair, he has no reason to believe she will keep favouring him and we can even see that she has considered allowing Edward to be king, so it would be justified to be prudent.

It's too bad Alfred didn't show up at the party; I was looking forward to that.

There are some things I don't understand. Why would Alfred ask Eliya why she invited Iris? If Iris hadn't been there to prompt Edward's rage, how exactly would Queen Eliya have discredited him?

Queen Eliya sure has it tough with Alfred. She's selling him Iris and he's just ignoring it. He's shown genuine care for Iris so I can't imagine he wouldn't be interested. To be fair, now that the Edward faction is aware of Iris' existence and value, they would be unlikely to sit still and allow him to be engaged to her. Unless they were to be secretly engaged, such an action would likely hinder Prince Alfred's ability to do whatever it is he is trying to do.

And with that, the party is over, and I wonder what will happen next chapter.

page 19. That sigh from the Queen Dowager.....SHE'S TRYING TO SET YOU UP BRO...DUH. However i suspect you know this.

Yuri may love Bern or want to use him as a backup plan. Yuri also act like a child but I'm pretty sure she hids her cards like Queen Dowager says. But after reading the manga 3 time (I got time to kill) I do think Yuri thinks Bern more than a friend. But this mean that she uses Edward to gain a better social position. Like Ellia, Yuri seems to be the manipulative type.

"You're like someone from a dream.

But I'm already someone who's living in reality."

oh bern i love you now

Dex-chan lover
What if You're is a reincarnation and is 1) only pretending to be dumb 2) ??? 3) yaoi + orgy with male harem?

Man. I hated Bern’s existence when he was introduced, but his character development easily settled him in my Top 5 with Iris & Alfred/Dean.

bern marry me??

Dex-chan lover
I had a bet with my cat that he was first prince... could someone send a kibble to me cause I don't think my cat will honour the bet

Dex-chan lover
"She's just like a blooming lily..."

Lily = Yuri

Yuri grandma confirmed!

Double-page supporter
I love love love this chapter/encounter so much.

Bern redeeming himself and the way the author portrays Yuri the protagonist of the otome game as a villain in disguise is just fantastic.
She created ties with the church, the knights, the minister and the prince all thanks to those boys falling in love with her, just like any other harem series they are willing to do anything for her.

It makes me really curious about what kind of sequel could the game have.

I usually hate someone like bern no matter how the author tries to redeem that character, but he really redeemed himself in this chapter, so he's an exception to me.

Dex-chan lover
so glad Bern is her brother because i would have been shipping him with her. Dean/Alfred is pretty good too but he's a bit too mysterious for my taste

Users who are viewing this thread