Koushaku Reijou no Tashinami - Vol. 7 Ch. 51

Fed-Kun's army
It’s good that it’s moving forward. But, there won’t likely be war bc of the genre of this manga.

Though, I don’t understand why she won’t push forward for war or secession. Their power as nobles is concentrated in agriculture and military power; they lack the influence within the noble circle.

For one, other countries will support them as not only do they possess competence, but also they are famous for their products. That’s how capitalist nations would usually play.

There is no point in keeping the other noble factions in their current situation in both the economic and political sense.

Ik the second prince faction continues to dominate largely despite its loss of money, honor, and lack of competence because of its roots w/ old powers.

However, that should make it easier for commoners to rise up. The reputation of the duke has risen from the protagonist’s work: better economy, products for the public, and stable, good jobs.

She should also understand that if the second prince succeeds; the kingdom will recede and fall apart from the corruption of the nobles and mismanagement. Other countries will look at the chance to conquer the kingdom. Of course, the duke might become its own nation in that time; it would be better to conquer the kingdom now then do it when the kingdom falls apart. Not only will it give them a more stable political future, they will have better control of tariffs and easier time to expand, and thus, they will also have a better economic future.

Edit; prediction? The second prince will attack the dukedom. the duke family and first prince will prob storm the capital and claim the throne then after.

@SweatyBrie

This is just my own shallow understanding for why Iris isn’t doing much. The alway I see it, the Armelia family is in an unstable position in both the political and the social sense. But the thing they lack most is influence in the noble circle.

Currently, the Duke supports the First Prince but they’re still neutral on the surface. And they’re considered neutral for a good reason. The Armelia family is also strongly tied with the kingdom’s military, making some of the noble families that focus solely in the political circle feel threatened if they were to remove themselves from the neutral faction since the Ducal family has true might behind them.

If they were to boldly announce their support for the First Prince, the kingdom itself might broil in civil conflict. I’m assuming this is why they won’t “join” the battle for succession.

Moreover, everything good that Iris is doing for the fiefdom is, in another sense, very bad for the kingdom. A King needs loyal vassals, but with the prerequisite that they’d move when he orders them to.

The Armelia Fief is currently self-sustaining and, somewhat, has its own form of governing. If worst comes to worst, independence from the kingdom is also possible. However, this is not a good thing. The Duke’s fief having this sort of self-awareness is like one of your limbs suddenly gaining some kind of sentience, free for independent movement. In crucial times, this could be a downfall for the kingdom.

TL;DR: Considering the Armelia family‘s influence on a broad scale, they can be considered a very dangerous threat. If they move too quickly or too suddenly, the consequences following them may be too harsh to bear. Rather than doing more harm than good, they need to still watch the situation before making a move.

Fed-Kun's army
@NiveousKro That makes sense. I guess that I didn't see how big of deal if Armelia's military just overthrowed the kingdom. Still, in Iris' case, it's either submit or change the system. We have seen many times in history where the military take over. Though, that will probably happen. With your points and recent chapter, they are just waiting for a just reason to make their move.

Sickly Senpai
Staff
Super Moderator
Seconding @Jxnny_Mc 's suggestion, @Aretheus & @chuchuchoerry and others.
The "Fantasy State Disbanding Its Army is a Real World Political Allegory" theory, while interesting, is starting to derail the thread a bit. There is a [urhttps://mangadex.org/forum/7]General Forum[/url] and a #politics channel in the MangaDex Discord if people want to discuss real-world politics further.

Thanks. :3

Dex-chan lover
So you're trying to tell me that multiple people NOT insanely in love with Princess Spy read a proposal that said "let's disband our standing military (while we are still technically at war with a neighbouring kingdom" and actually went "you know what, that makes sense, I'll sign it"?

Because come the fuck on, that's bullshit. No matter how much money the other kingdom's spies are throwing about, that shouldn't be possible.

thank you for the chapter💕💕💕💕💖💖
the comment section is.........honestly tiring.

Time to put my Crusader King II experience into useful:
- To take over the kingdom for you, either have claim for it to legimate your rule or have someone to be your puppet (like princess or prince then force marry into your family ) or else you will face constant revolt and outside invader in the name to restore the legimate ruler.
-Armelia is just one of many fiefdom duke in kingdom ... not entire kingdom and you cant expect themselve to fight half of kingdom on their own. They have long term of being in neutral faction so who will help them to take kingdom for themselve.
- Somebody said well in chaos time they should just declare independent, hehe this is what i always lookling forward in CKII, independent faction won and all dukedom now be independent ruler so i can easy conquest all of them in one go (they dont help each other either ). So i expect they dont idiot like this.

@Deathhappens
Keeping a army costs a lot of money and they were not being used so the proposal was probably to downscale the military to pre-war levels. Many of these lords probably have their guards down after 30 years of ceasefire and don't want to "waste" money anymore in a war that in their minds, already ended. If they are not directly involved with the politics on a national level I can see how they thought so.

It is a pretty stupid decision, an obviously stupid decision, but of the kind that happens everyday. Just think about the viral situation we find ourselves in right know in this world.

---------------------------------
Btw, does anyone knows in which chapter should I continue from now on in the novel?

Aggregator gang
@rafaelrgm: Yuri's proposal was literally "how about disbanding the military" followed by "We don't need a military, this land is so peaceful!" In this chapter, Bern says the proposal was to dissolve the military, not downsize it. No, this is a collection of nobles in a country that is literally in the middle of a war against an invading force saying "Eh, who needs an army? I love the idea of being raped and murdered in my home and having my lands burned and my people slaughtered."

Dex-chan lover
Lol

Okay the kingdom decides to dissolve the military. Well, who's gonna stop the nobles with fiefs from declaring their independence and keeping their military? Not to mention that they're neighbors with a country that's hostile to them.

Yeah I agree with the others that there's no way fucking way that proposal would have ever been considered, unless all the nobles that approved of that are in cahoots with the enemy who'll probably keep their armies too. And who's to say that the other country won't backstab the nobles that worked with them? It's a lose-lose for them either way, though I suppose people can be shortsighted in real life.

I dunno what the author was thinking that this would even work in real life unless Yuri did bewitch them with magic shit or blackmailing them hard.

Although disbanding the military seems unrealistic as a policy, especially with a hostile nation nearby, there is real world precedence for it.

The Kingdom of Hungary actually pursued a similar policy in the late Medieval Ages when local nobles wanted to undermine the power of the central government, which had developed a powerful military following the Mongol invasions to become the dominant power in Central Europe. For a while, the regional lords were the true rulers of the kingdom without consequences even as it weakened along its borders.

Then the Ottoman Empire conquered Byzantium and invaded Central Europe where Hungary's weakened forces were defeated, allowing the country to be conquered. The regional lords weakened their government to rule their lands without oversight, but in the end they lost all control of their lands.

Same thing happened in late Qing and Republic Era China when the Qing army let the Japanese forces take Manchuria and local feudal/fief lords were too busy fighting with each other over the remnants of Qing dynasty imperial power to care about the Japanese invasion. Same thing in late Song, late Tang dynasties. The Emperors repeatedly found some excuse to execute preeminent talented military generals who returned from the battlefield and basically destroyed their own military to prevent them from launching a coup, only to allow the Mongols to conquer and establish the Yuan dynasty. Don't underestimate human greed

After reading for 8 hours straight i keep wondering about either the author is somekind of feudal politic enthusiast or have sunk around 8k hours into playing Paradox Interactive game lineup. Succession problem and poltical struggle inside a kingdom is one thing, but political relation between the church and the nobility is just wow...

Dex-chan lover
I always thought leticia was younger for some reason.

Contributor
With the lack of a peace treaty, the kingdom is indeed still technically at war - just like North and South Korea today; their war "ended" with a ceasefire agreement, not a peace treaty

disbanding the militairy huh, that sounds awefully.. fammiliar? who will keep the criminals at bay with out a poli- militairy. especially with a scheming country up north.

Users who are viewing this thread