Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

@FranFran that's because the actual story hasn't even begun yet. Half of the writing is missing, since the manga is only adapting Kumo's view. When you combine the additional perspectives that are supposed to be told in parallel to Kumoko's, the story is actually there.

That's why I don't like the manga all that much.

@NoGround
Then we both agree … the manga adaptation isn't good.
Since the manga is only adapting Kumo's view, I'm only judging it on that.
If I have to read the novel for it to make sense, then someone isn't doing their job.
I'm sure the novel is much better. It's just that, after reading the manga, I've got no wish to read it.

😭 That sucks. The LN firmly made Kumo Desu my favorite series of all time and I'm always upset that the manga butchers the story for readers like you who want something more substantial. @FranFran

It's not that the manga is necessarily bad. The manga adaptation is just telling the story very differently.

Basically, the first few novels tell the story non-sequentially, jumping back and forth between the spider's early days, and the younger years of the other reincarnated students. The manga, on the other hand, is telling things chronologically. So while our spider is getting stronger, the other students are just now being born (the spiders take 2 months to hatch, while a human child takes 9 months to be born) and won't really be up to anything for another 8-15 years (except Sophia).

That said, I definitely prefer the way that the novels have told the story. Especially since it wasn't obvious that it was being told out of order at first, and when it started becoming clear, it struck me as an absolutely brilliant way to write it. I can definitely see why the manga seems monotonous by comparison.

Fed-Kun's army
@FranFran From my understanding, people are split on this, the ones who likes the first half of the story hate the latter half and the other characters perspectives whereas the ones who likes the latter half dislike the first half of the story because the first half is pretty much just this shounen slice of life grindfest. It makes sense though, the first half is pretty much a completely different genre to the rest and could basically be regarded as a VERY LONG prologue.

Considering how this story is told, you know those other manga that has like 12 spin-off side stories all in the same universe focusing on different characters but they also contain spoilers for all the other stories because they're all taking place at different times chronologically? Yeah that's what you're going to get because the entire dungeon segment takes place before the actual "start" of the story.

Although some might not like that the manga is only adapting "Kumo's" POV it is pretty much the smart choice because when you have too many characters you need to focus on that are doing something at the same time parallel to other events occurring with other characters, what you get is a fragmented story that will slow to a crawl. Star Wars didn't start with an extended universe, that was built over time, it isn't wise being too ambitious from the start.

However, it would be interesting to see multiple series being worked on at once that work in tandem with their releases to comprise the entire story without having to bog down any single story by constantly switching perspectives (or worse, I don't know about you but I don't like it when a story introduces a new character to the MC then it goes all flashback and spends the next 100 chapters going over the backstory of said introduced character going all the way back until they reach the meeting point between these two characters and they repeat this for every single main character introduction). Don't know how feasible that is and of course if you do that, each series is going to have a different artist.

The gap betwene each chapter is to long. I want to know where this is actually doing. Will she become a demon lord or will she be able to befriend the humans of the world.

@Sleepybunny

I agree, the chapters are too small and few inbetween.

I haven't read the LN yet, but I doubt she will become friends with human, her standards are getting way too warped to be on friendly terms with anything that is alive. Plus, her skills just make her a pure monster to anyone who sees her, even if she means no harm.

@Darketower
Saddly the theory of the manga telling the story chronologically falls apart when you notice that the manga still hasn't done Oni 1 chapter and one of the special chapters adapted Fei's birth.
More in the spoilers.
Wrath being a Goblin was also born before the human reincarnators. Kumo was inside the dungeon for 6 months, this means that Wrath should have been born meanwhile Kumo was in the lava level (middle stratum).
Also thanks to the Analeit Kingdom Timeline we know exactly in what year Fei was born. She got born on the year 847, exactly 6 years after the other humans.

@Hobnobs
Now you've gone and done it! You've mentioned Star Wars! 😱
I could go on a long rant, but there is no point, and I’m not that big off a SW fan anyways.
It however summarizes the tragedy that is modern cinema, and in a large part the whole isekai genre.

All great stories exist, not because the creator wanted to make a quick buck, but because they loved the characters, the world they’ve created, and the journeys that lie ahead. Sadly, that is getting rarer, and rarer, to see that.
Nowadays, it’s more about jumping on the next big thing, and making a quick buck. The simplest way to do so, is to just copy the formula without actually understanding why it works.
That's why it feels so hollow, and poorly constructed. It's not love my dear, It's a cash grab.

That out of the way ...
I actually really like stories that go in all kind of different directions at the same time.
It makes you feel like the world is real and lived in. Otoyomegatari, Voynich Hotel, Nukenai Seiken, Hakumei to Mikochi, … All great, all jumping from a charater to character, and their respective stories.

There is a way to tell a cohesive story, while at the same time jumping to different characters/story paths.
Sadly, this manga isn’t even able to tell a good story with just focusing on one character.

Note how the description for immortality explicitely states that death within the system becomes impossible. Idk what system it is, but sounds like a limit to a seemingly OP Isekai Trash Ability.

feels like this manga is overrated, 40 chapters in and there is no plot and just lvling up

Group Leader
They posted a release date for the next chapter, it'll come out on March 19.

@Jzc136

the main thing is that at some point in the light novels Kumo becomes a side character and it swaps focus to the rest of the class. which this manga seems to not be doing since while she is just leveling up day in day out.. they are actually dealing with the plot and the world-building. I don't know if the manga intends to do the same as the lightnovel or if they will continue to follow Kumo to the 'end' of her story.

Immortality within the system is that no one but gods (administrators) can kill her.

This manga is so underrated. Personaly my face was glued to it while reading it! When i started i hoped it will be something like slime, but it is waaaay better! In any case, there is novel for spider girl, READ IT! IT is GOOD! https://readwebnovels.net/novel/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka/ YW!

Users who are viewing this thread