Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Ch. 66 - Sekiu

Dex-chan lover
Jinshi seems to decided they are close enough to call her by name now :smugnako:

I guess squeeing a man's frog would level them up to first name basis :ROFLMAO:

Dex-chan lover
I swear sometimes this series is really the only Soap Opera I can't stop wat- I mean reading

If anybody wondering, the hair removal method that Maomao used in this chapter is real. I have seen it featured on local TV sometime ago as a beauty practice done by people in Bangkok's Chinatown. Although, then it was done on fine hairs on women's face.
It’s the same technique used for eyebrow threading. Pretty common practice in Asia and North America

Aggregator gang
It's unusual for Jinshi to go full offensive against Princess Gyokuyoh. Usually they're used to... "phrasing war".
What gives?

Threading is originally from Central Asia (India most likely) but got really popular in North America in the past few decades. It's super commonplace now and less painful than you would think. Less painful than epilating and waxing, at least haha

This arc should reveal a lot but if anyone is waiting on full blown romance then this is not it. It's as slow burn as it can get. I think it may come across as "miscommunication" when really the misunderstandings just take dozens of chapters to be brought up again because the mystery plot comes first, literary-wise, and character-wise they're just too busy to meet up and talk things out :p

Finished LN7 and no romance so far. At current manga pace, that would be chapter 120-130, I guess.
Lot's of interactions though. Maomao figures out who Jinshi is and Jinshi is quite open in his love and Maomao cares for Jinshi. However, nothing romantic.
Sadly, it also makes sense. Maomao had to grow up fast. It makes her grounded and interesting, but it also means she has problems with romantic love. When she applies her logic to the problem she sees an insurmountable difference in status. Also she knows Jinshi is the rightful heir and that would/could make Maomao the empress.

If anybody wondering, the hair removal method that Maomao used in this chapter is real. I have seen it featured on local TV sometime ago as a beauty practice done by people in Bangkok's Chinatown. Although, then it was done on fine hairs on women's face.
For anyone wondering, I'm pretty sure it's threading. I get it done on my eyebrows.

For anyone who has read or is up to date with the LN, do we get more info about Gyokuyou, Rifa, etc.? I'd like to know more about them.
I've only read until LN volume 9, so I can't say anything past it but
iirc not much about Rifa, but we do get more info about Gyokuyou. In fact, I think the in LN 10 we will get a focus on her family.

Dex-chan lover
For anyone who has read or is up to date with the LN, do we get more info about Gyokuyou, Rifa, etc.? I'd like to know more about them.
from ln volume *10 onwards we get 3 volumes taking place in the western capital which is ruled by Gyokuyou's family which reveals quite some things about Gyokuyou as well, despite her not being present. In fact they travel there before once but that's rather short so there's not much dwelling on back/sidestory (at least not Gyokuyou's) that time.
After Rifa's recovery there's not much happening around her other than getting pregnant but due to Mao Mao going missing before she's giving birth this chance for more interaction is missed.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Also concurring with a few others, I'm not so fond of Jinshi/MaoMao anymore.
I know most folks here like Mao Mao and Jinshi's interactions, but I find him a bit creepy and got tired of this back and forth, tbh. I know they are the main couple, but still.
You see, both Mao Mao's and Jinshi's upbringing caused them to have a hard time with romance.
There are definitely (going to be) parts which aren't exactly nice going forward in their relationship but there are also sweet moments and I'd say their feelings are mutual but both of them struggle in their own ways to express them.
Thing is, the focus isn't so much on their romance either, in the webnovel there'd be like one majorly romance part / chapter per volume, so the slow burn doesn't help to make things seem overly passionate...
Interestingly enough their social standing isn't even that much of a problem given who's daughter Mao Mao is and even so both Mao Mao and Jinshi are aware that being princess would be an immense burden not to mention the backlash she'd face... That said, Jinshi has stated that he's set on clearing those obstacles and is going to quite some lengths to do so.
Also given Jinshi's status and that he technically "bought" Mao Mao he could go far beyond the way he's currently treating her and it'd be well within that time's social norms so I think despite his behaviour feeling out of place to us given the context he's probably still being rather decent.
Or at least I don't think he's intending to treat Mao Mao bad in any way.

Maomao still can't forget that 🐸

Also wanna ask about Ri Shu not related to this ghost incident but something far in future(?), but dunno how to add spoiler. Anyone care to help? :"

You see, both Mao Mao's and Jinshi's upbringing caused them to have a hard time with romance.
There are definitely (going to be) parts which aren't exactly nice going forward in their relationship but there are also sweet moments and I'd say their feelings are mutual but both of them struggle in their own ways to express them.
Thing is, the focus isn't so much on their romance either, in the webnovel there'd be like one majorly romance part / chapter per volume, so the slow burn doesn't help to make things seem overly passionate...
Interestingly enough their social standing isn't even that much of a problem given who's daughter Mao Mao is and even so both Mao Mao and Jinshi are aware that being princess would be an immense burden not to mention the backlash she'd face... That said, Jinshi has stated that he's set on clearing those obstacles and is going to quite some lengths to do so.
Also given Jinshi's status and that he technically "bought" Mao Mao he could go far beyond the way he's currently treating her and it'd be well within that time's social norms so I think despite his behaviour feeling out of place to us given the context he's probably still being rather decent.
Or at least I don't think he's intending to treat Mao Mao bad in any way.
I probably forgot, but I can't remember if in the manga the real ...

MaoMao parents are clearly identified.

If yes, someone can remember-me please?
And if no, spoilers are welcome :D

This and Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan never fail to keep me engaged in the story. I've been throwing myself into every chapter for years: it's always beautiful, and we're lucky to have excellent translations (thank you, translators! I love you!).

Double-page supporter
Excited to meet my girl maomao again soon, although i’ll probably be so nervous that I’ll be awkward and stiff talking to her

Dex-chan lover
The anime and the recent chapters have gotten me too hyped makes me kinda of want to read the light novel
I'm sure I'm not the first person to respond, but I'll add my voice to the chorus: read them! They're absolutely brilliant, just as good as you'd expect from the adaptations.

Users who are viewing this thread