Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Ch. 73.2 - Traces (Part 2)

Supporter
i said before, but first mao mao started having questions about shi sui, now everything she does seems suspicious. like your friend is doing something to alert others to you are getting kidnapped, why you blowing her cover? even her posture of laying down to rest is suspicious
Wasn’t it heavily implied that Shi Sui is consort Rou Ran in disguise? I mean they didn’t confirm it but all evident point to this.

Dex-chan lover
OK, since the cat's half out of the bag anyway, I just want to add a minor historical note.

Chinese women of good birth, which include people like village landowners and daughters of merchants who were technically low in social status, were raised to sleep on their backs with their hands crossed over their stomach. Why? Because they were expected to grow their hair and nails long and decorate them.

With very long hair in an era before the advent of modern haircare products, it was necessary to adopt a sleeping pose that allowed the hair to either be spread out at the head of the bed or kept in a safe bun style. That's why they had to sleep on their backs. There's another manga that actually sort of explains the same thing: Maiko-san chi no Makanai-san (Kiyo in Kyoto). There the maiko (junior geisha) have to keep their hair styled in the traditional way and sleep with the hair in that condition because it's too complicated to have to style them each morning. Upper-middle-class Chinese women did this too, depending on how many maids they had or what duties they were expected to play in the household (remember, the maids were also expected to keep their hair well-presented at all times too). On that note, the depiction of how Rifa sleeps is plain wrong. Noblewomen would have taken special measures not to sleep on their hair. My great-grandma was a very rich merchant's daughter and she used to have waist-length hair in her youth back when the Qing Dynasty was still around. To sleep properly she needed a bed that was around 30% longer than her body height. The additional length was for her hair to be spread out when she slept (she had an army of maids to style her hair every morning). You may think this excessive, but her bed was just twin XL size (203 cm long). She was only 158 cm tall and didn't need the extra space sideways because of the way she slept. Great grandma kept sleeping like this all her life even after cutting her hair to shoulder length in her 50s, and even after she'd started losing much of her hair in old age (she lived to 98). As an aside, you can actually find drawings of court women in ancient Japanese art doing the same thing but benefiting from the fact that they slept on futons laid out on tatami (thus able to make use of the whole floor space) instead of on a bed.

Similarly, especially for noblewomen who sometimes grew very long nails on their last three fingers in the Qing Dynasty, it was necessary to keep those long nails out of the way when sleeping, thus the crossed hands. Great grandma didn't have this affectation but her (last three finger) nails were always half a knuckle long until she reached her 50s.

The reason great grandma ended her traditional styles was, funnily enough, because she'd somehow managed to raise an educated, modern daughter who went on to become very active in the Indonesian independence movement and hung out with the country's founders. Great aunt ditched traditional clothes in favor of Western dress, learned to drive, bought a car, and got all the women in her family to adopt modern styles.

Dex-chan lover
Yes, this is the one whose mangaka (Nekokurage) was indicted for tax evasion.
No, this isn't the one whose mangaka (Minoji Kurata) was pregnant, that was the other one.
No, Nekokurage didn't go to jail, because criminal intent wasn't present. They just hired an accountant and paid off the amount they were in arrears.
Yes, this is the one whose mangaka (Nekokurage) was diagnosed with a non-emergent brain aneurysm.

Hopefully I got everything, so we can do it all again next chapter.

Dex-chan lover
This again? Already asked and answered several times. Go read thread for the previous release chapter 73.1.

And the chapter before that: Chapter 72 discussion.

And the chapter before that: Chapter 71 discussion.
Look, not everybody goes into the comment section regularly after reading a chapter(probably healthier tbh). Some people only visit the comment section if they have a question to ask, want to discuss something, or are confused about something the chapter addressed. You can just answer a question with a yes or no, okay?

(Also, you didn't answer their question. You just complained about them not reading comments...dafuq)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Look, not everybody goes into the comment section regularly after reading a chapter(probably healthier tbh). Some people only visit the comment section if they have a question to ask, want to discuss something, or are confused about something the chapter addressed. You can just answer a question with a yes or no, okay?

(Also, you didn't answer their question. You just complained about them not reading comments...dafuq)
I pointed them to multiple discussions which answer their question.

/smh

Fed-Kun's army
not sure why you think sleeping on your back is suspicious though?
For me personally, lying on your back means you’re relaxed. When feeling vulnerable, people generally get into the fetal position, as they instinctively want to protect their fronts.

Dex-chan lover
Someone mention task evasion next chapter and they'll need some resurrection medicine as well :pepela:

Uh, sure Maomao

While this chapter was quite the nothingburger, I'm looking forward to this arc (yeah it's quite good I'd say) so see y'all in another month.
Until then, thanks for the upload!
I'm not waiting around at the pace this is going, what chapter are we in the LN and WN?

Dex-chan lover
I know the answer, but you'll have to jump through this hoop to get it. Nice. Classy
I can only hope that this is low effort trolling rather than the monumental arrogance of, "You should take your time to rewrite/summarize detailed discussion that has already taken place because I'm too lazy to click one link."

Dex-chan lover
I can only hope that this is low effort trolling rather than the monumental arrogance of, "You should take your time to rewrite/summarize detailed discussion that has already taken place because I'm too lazy to click one link."
It's funny that you're trying to project all this excessive stuff on me, when I criticized you for just not answering a question straight. I'm sure your friends must enjoy talking to you with extra steps and drama involved. You have a good one. I said what I wanted to say

(By the by, there's a comment literally right above your original comment that does the thing, if you need an example of how to answer a question)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread