Kyoto Animation studio attacked by arsonist, at least dozen dead.

Group Leader
that is justice, IMO.

As I said, the problem here is not now and won't appear now, I'm afraid it will ruin the legality of using innocent card in the future. Don't wanna blind the world? Just don't do it, easy. @knicker

Of course, that could happen. Neither of us know what is the best approach and we never will. You can’t live on ifs, buts and maybes. You just have to choose and make the best of it. Only with knowledge of everything, past and present, can you predict the future. @sastrathebest

Group Leader
I can by using behaviour analytics, lol?

No one knows the future, then isn't the best approach for that is to play safe rather than gambling with uncertainty? It's about life dude, not money. @knicker

Jail? With as many deaths as he caused, it's pretty much a mandatory death sentence; and you know, their 90+% conviction rate all but guarantees he'll literally hang, because they still hang for executions over in Japan. The only way out of that is a determination he's mentally insufficient and could not comprehend the lethal nature of his actions... but his own statements and the premeditated nature of his crime are very indicative points toward him knowing what he was doing when he did it. Even with him showing some signs of mental illness, it's a hard sell given the context. KyoAni had affirmed they did receive a submission with his name and return address in their regular novel competitions (Free!, Violet Evergarden, and Chunibyo originate from these competitions)- so it will be hard to bank on claiming he's delusional and divorced from his own thoughts and actions in attacking them- the connection was there and this wasn't a random outburst of unhinged violence.

He still can fight with "I am insane" defense. Being crazy doesn't mean you can't plan things, just that your logic is...well, crazy. Whether the judge would buy that is another matter. And any future cases would still have to be judge on a case-by-case basis, no matter how many cases the defendants try to use mental issues to fight their cases.

As for jail instead of hanging for this guy, that might actually be more suffering for him, as he did get burnt pretty badly (or at least badly enough that he still need treatments in the hospital for months now), so living on would be very painful for the rest of his life.

Users who are viewing this thread