Lady Evony - Vol. 2 Ch. 45

who's the character in the "do not steal" banner ? i vaguely remember there being a pink haired character w her or did i remember wrongly ?

LMAO I know it! They use the "husband has right to do shit while wife is in the wrong if they disobey" card. They really are rotten to the core.

Every gaddamn time they mention any of her memories with her past comrades. I AM TOO SOFT to not cry.

Thank you very much for translating. This manhwa is god-tier. Y'all got a superior taste for picking this up.

The care that household has for Ebony is so touching! I love them all ☺

And @Paradoxicull: thanks for thinking the same as I!! 🤣 But I think that maybe it's about her throat being too parched for being feverish and unconscious for so long: her voice would be raspy so maybe that's why the squared chat "bubbles"?

@Glomoro

I know, the basic idea is that of the Almighty Prince who saves and protects the poor and abused girl in danger, this time not only physically but also – and above all – mentally, and it is the leitmotiv of 90% of the romantic literature that has ever been written on this planet since the existence of writing.

However, it will be that I am now a certain age and I find the stories in the style of “amor vincit omnia” really unrealistic but I find that in the relationship there is a huge disparity of forces, exclusively in favour of the Duke (let us not forget that he is his protector, his mentor and his pigmalion; without him, she would still be a fragile and frightened mouse at the mercy of his torturers in prison); if he now develops an affectionate relationship between her, no matter how sweet, romantic or anything like that... it would not be different from what Ebony would have had with any other man, including Victor Sedell.
Because it would always be him who would decide the fate of Ebony in good and bad (if ever – putting it as absurd – an unfortunate day Dante went crazy and said “now i’m pretty pissed off with the world and i’ll take it with you by taking away everything i have given you so far” she would have no strength to rebel and defend since it would depend totally, both economically and psychologically to he).

Now as now Ebony could never develop a sincere love for Dante: his would always be devotion and almost “moral obligation” to correspond to the feelings of his savior, even in a completely unconscious way.

Perhaps, and I say perhaps, an honest and above all healthy relationship could have it alone and when Ebony has managed to completely recover her mental stability, after strengthening her ego, and perhaps with the economic power given by being the director of the school as Raven. Only then could it be not saying au pair, because it would never be possible unless she became a duchess herself, but at least not one who from the top of his golden throne drops his goodness and another who is crushed on the ground raises her hands asking for mercy.

On the contrary, a similar relationship between “father and daughter” would be perfectly normal, because in the concept that the parent does everything possible to ensure that their children live the best possible life without having to wait for anything or almost in return, is based the conception of modern society... at least the Western one.

I do agree with whenever she falls in love with him, it will not be sweet and all romantic. Because in the end, due to her circumstance and his, the whole situation fit almost to the case of a Stockholm syndrome.
However, i do disagree that her love would be unrealistic. It is not uncommon to love to sprout in such situation, but she should not act like a teenager in love. It makes no sense if love solves it all and it is all flower and kisses. The love would be mascaraed by everything else she must feel because he is her savior and someone with power and knowledge.
Although I do give it to the author on not making the reason he saved her, love. That would be really dumb, like at first sight or something.
So this story twist the cliche in a slightly interesting way, as we see the guy as someone that is rationally using her as a subordinate and a piece on this game of conquering (with some mild flirting involved).
Got give it to them, even if some people get overly defensive about the whole thing, not wanting it to the "using", but "helping". However, the world is never fair, at least if it is any similar to this one.
So he using her being the whole premise to save her fits perfectly, even if it gives us a sour taste.

Dex-chan lover
@Lucrecia Yeah, realistically, their power dynamic would probably always be a bit of a problem if you're concerned about that. She likely can't ever achieve the title of duchess except by marriage, which would be to him anyway. Unless that foreign queen tosses another wrench in the general works of the country these two are in by making Ebony a duchess of her country for shits and giggles. That seems like a weird step to take though, considering that basically any coupling in the time period this is set in is pretty much going to have something of a power dynamic imbalance anyway.

What is likely is what you touched on yourself
Perhaps, and I say perhaps, an honest and above all healthy relationship could have it alone and when Ebony has managed to completely recover her mental stability, after strengthening her ego, and perhaps with the economic power given by being the director of the school as Raven.
That more or less seems like the direction this has been heading in. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the romantic stuff manages to spark before that's completely dialed in, with readers likely to be a little impatient the author might fall back on that old "will they, won't they?" sort of thing for a while, but I think that's roughly the end goal before they'd ever get engaged or married, at least.

@moonlight00
@Glomoro
By “unrealistic” I did not mean something that cannot happen – indeed, it is quite common that love is one of those things that happens without you want it – but rather unrealistic about all the development of the manwha history, which is showing us the ransom and growth of Ebony not only as a woman, but above all as a human being deserving of respect.

If in any volume we find her stuttering and blushing every time Dante looks at her... I’m afraid I’d give up reading.

And I hope so much that it is not so, because it would be a well-written story, with complete and adorable characters that would be sacrificed on the altar of the “readers want romance at all costs, even if the story does not need any romance to stand alone and shine with its own light. But since it’s my readers who pay my rent and my food, let’s give them the romance and make them happy".

hmmm i think what make this manhwa different from others is the platonic(?) romance???

You may look them them as child and parents relationship, which is understandable. But i believe their relationship will developed further later… but not now… Ebony still has to grow and healing. And i didnt see ML have ill intention or whatever it is. He's a good man who willing waiting, supporting, and seeing her fl grow slowly… which is (for me at least) romantic

@Lucrecia yeah, i understand. i completely agree that if she clichely blushes and becomes shy, the story goes from great to trash. it is too out of character. her character is so specific, her story so dark... how can she become a naive maiden in love, wtf.
tbf having her answer his felling without having them completely would be great, so we can all be mad lol on how the romance feels so cold and calculative.

i do fear the author will chose the 'safe' shitty route, we can only hope they wont.
but looking at how the flirting has been going so far... it doesn't seem to be going somewhere else, there is already a lot of touching and carrying and the guy helping her unconditionally. almost like they are already fucking -_- come on, will some touch and sweet words be all that she need to become a naive teenager again? it seems it will not take much longer, before she is running and red and giggling and hiding below her covers... and the raven will all seem like an illusion. and considering the 'field', so many great beginnings are trashed because the woman need to do a 180 when in the presence of the ML.. doesn't matter the context, the development is all the same, copy and paste bullshit.

but i think our focus isn't exactly on her loving him or not, but if she is gonna love him, she must do it in a broken way to fit the bill. it is the sad reality of someone who suffered so much abuse, they get somewhat better and can live their life, but they will forever need to deal with the trauma/bad memories. she can never become what she was again, she can only become someone more mature and experienced. she can overcome her trauma? maybe. but regress? nope. her playing the whole fairy tail like romance is even like an insult, as the author seems to minimize the struggles of those who suffers as much as her (and the reader sense of reality). like having someone treating you nicely is all you need and the whole bad stuff is gone (like some dick would melt all your trouble, if it was that easy the poeple who love the night life would have no issue in their lives -_-). if it was that easy would we really have so much suffering in our generation?

Users who are viewing this thread