Lady Evony

@Eeveechi
Yes, the trial scene in Ebony and Leslie are different, but that’s because thebes matters it deals with are also inherently different. Leslie’s trial was about child custody, so of course, abuse would be an extremely revelant part of the trial as if a parent is caught abusing a child, than the child wouldn’t go back to the parent. However, for Ebony, it was a trial about murder. While there was abuse going around, the focus is if she murdered or not and with joe European this seems, murder is a grave offense. I’m surprised she didn’t go to jail. Abuse does not detract from the fact that she committed murder. To be honest, i’m not surprised that people fear her because she is a murderer. I feel that the fact that she is a murderer should hold more depth to her character as well. There is a whole realm of her psyche that the author could have added to explore, yet the author chose to neglect it and it led to Ebony being an extremely bland character of just being so scared ALL THE TIME.

@pinkeree
Chapter 5 notes that the case itself did not look like premeditated murder but self defense which is 100% different than outright murder or even crime of passion. Prior abuse could have even been sited to show a pattern of abuse causing the need for self defense. The term murderer is not accurate to her in this sense. And after 5 years of jail that not only scarred her body but even messed up her bone structure enough to need a brace, her dissociative personality makes much more sense than being peppy happy. Less than a few months have passed in the manga so I can't imagine PTSD would just poof away

@Eeveechi
what do you mean the term “murderer” does not apply for her situation? By definition a murderer is someone who kills another, so by definition, she is a murderer. And i’m not advocating that she should be peppy happy, im complaining that her character is extremely bland and is in deep need of characterization. It’s obvious she has PTSD, however she does not have a personality. A disassociated personality could also make the story much more interesting by displaying how disconnected she feels with the world and have different personas to deal with her trauma, yet all we can visibly see her do is tremble at every slight thing and degrade herself at every moment possible. It does not make sense for her to be this frightened even after 5 years of jail.

okay I have to admit, i don’t know if it was obvious that i didn’t like the story enough so i dropped it, i haven’t even gotten as far in Ebony to have read the 5th chapter so I didn’t know she went to jail, the details of her trial, or that she even had a brace. However, you just inspired me to read it all so I can get more points to prove that Ebony’s character is bland and overall contributes little to the story in fact I feel that her lack in characterization detracts from what the story could be, causing it to be boring, because the MC herself is boring.

Group Leader
@pinkeree Ebony did in fact go to jail for the murder. she served time in Speth prison for at least 5 years before she was granted a pardon. and she was released only because Queen of Babel, who defeated Kalcass, demanded for it (although we have yet to know why).

we can rightfully assume that she had probably done it out of self-defense (which is completely different from murdering someone in cold blood), and if this had been a just society, public opinion and the trial itself would've been completely different to what she had gone through in Kalcass. I think the depth that the author decided to show is that Ebony isn't normalizing the unfair treatment between men and women unlike the other women she's grown up with. it's implied a few times in flashbacks that she defies her father and questions whether this unfair treatment of women is right. but after being told she should shut up, time and time again, she's just stopped talking about it and just focused on keeping quiet to survive. her strength is that she still hasn't given up and accepted the fate that is in store for women in Kalcass. she's ready to revolt against what has always been custom in Kalcass.

Dex-chan lover
With the patronage of patriarchy, we must overthrow the patriarchy!

Evil men no, good princes yes!

what a clickbait title. i expect some people of color as the lead, yet i ended up reading some whitewash shit.

At first, I didn't expect much from this series. But progress and character development. Damn!!! The plot is too good.😊

Ebony is amazing!! I like what I'm reading. I'm so hyped for this.😍

Thank you for the chapters.😀

I started reading this thinking it was just another one of those "bigwig helps weak female lead and they fall in love" types. Boy was I wrong. The plot is amazing, and the character development is great too. Can't wait for the next chapters to be translated! 😄

The plot is so much better than I expected, I just became a huge fan. Go girl power!

Thank you so much for translating! ::bow::

Users who are viewing this thread