Land of the Lustrous

Dex-chan lover
They made Phos go through all this shit...
and they're going to make him go through more :D

Their all about to have so much fun while the one who got them there is going to suffer alone for 10,000 years. I guess the saying either you die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villian really sums up phos' story.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Dex-chan lover
Looks like we only have 2 chapters left to conclude the story, considering that the next volume will cover up till chapter 97.

So they want to wait 10000 and then have phos pray for them so they can become nothing? What if he just goes lmao no?

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Dex-chan lover
AYO but what about the newborn gems that will appear??? Phos become Sensei 2.0?

Code:

The whole premise of this story makes no sense. You have immortal beings that never get old or tired and they have no need to work to survive, and they wish to die for some reason. The only people I know in real life that want to die are those who are old or those who are tired from their work (and it will take them significant effort to change their work). I.e. it comes down to 2 things:
1) living in your body is not comfortable (old age, bad deceases, et.c.)
2) you are forced to do something you dislike to survive, and it is very hard or impossible to change it to something you like.
None of it applies to lunarians, so why they want to die is a mystery. "I am bored from leisure" is not good enough reason, as I have yet to see a person with a healthy body and free time & money to ignore work and do what he wants to just commit suicide.

@CuddleStruggle

I mean its fiction it doesn’t necessary need to make sense, another thing is its because that they ARE immortal and never get old thats why they want to die. The fact that they are unable to die makes them have a lot of free time on their hands, and after awhile you will start to feel bored doing the same thing everyday, seeing the same people everyday with nothing new or exciting happening because they can live that long. They crave death because they are simply tired of being alive for so long and never ageing.

I hope that made sense? At least this is how i see it

@Hobitan I would understand why an immortal caveman who lives alone would want to die, because his life is the same thing over and over again and developing civilization only with a single person is an extremely hard thing to do. But with their technology it does not make sense that they are somehow stuck in repeating the same thing. One can easily spend eternity just exploring the realm of mathematics, because there are literally infinite amount of things to discover in math and those things can be very different. Or exploring how art looks in higher dimensions by inventing ability to truly see in 4D, 5D, et.c. Or explore virtual worlds and what can be possible inside them. Or explore the mysteries of this world, because apparently they can just travel between planets. Maybe they could even find completely alien life form. The more advanced your technology the more path opens up for things to do.

@CuddleStruggle

I can 100% see what you mean but the context of this story is that
lunarians are the souls of all the dead humans that have died after the world ended. Their purpose was to be prayed for by kongo sensei so they can finally “rest”. Also yes making new stuff is cool and exciting, but when you continuously do that just so you can be excited is not exactly appealing. Its like losing interest in things. Before the gems knew the truth they were also creating new weapons, medicine etc. So their lives could be easier and better. The lunarians have no need to explore anymore since they have most likely already uncovered all the mysteries of the world considering the fact that they can put together gems that have been grounded into basically dust. Plus past humans managed to make a machine feel emotions without programming and having anyone tell them what to do 24/7. I dont think they see the need to explore anymore since they are all dead and just waiting for their time to actually rest.

Sorry if this doesn’t make sense its been quite awhile since i last read hnk

@Hobitan "but when you continuously do that just so you can be excited is not exactly appealing" - what? If you are excited by something then IT IS appealing, pretty much by definition. Also, excitement is almost never a goal when building things. The goal is either utilitarian (we build this to do this task) or for research purposes (to see if it was possible at all), and excitement is simply a byproduct of how significant what you are trying to build is. But if your goal truly is just excitement I am pretty sure you can construct machine that can make you artificially feel as excited as you want to be (similar to simulating brain regions with electrodes). So you just build it a single time and then you don't need to build or research anything anymore.

A civilization that operates only on a single planet does not seem like they have nothing else to explore in this world. And to be honest it feels more like a brainwashing cult, where their leader simply convinced them that they need to commit suicide.
You can see his brainwashing skills in action on how he used the MC to achieve his goals, even though his goals where complete opposite of MC (MC wanted to save Gems, yet if MC helps Lunarians all Gems will die)

Fed-Kun's army
Cinny just up there fighting with Phos after hiding in the book flaps has me feeling some kind of way.

I like the psychological vibes from this manga
Yeah I felt nauseous reading this because it feels sad man but it's good. Really good.

@cuddlestruggle Probably because they aren't exactly humans anymore after having lived for hundreds thousand of years, during a such long period of time who knows how their minds could change and how it would alter their goals or whatever their meaning of life is. Heck, even in real life happy people find dozens of reasons to die, some are just plain crazy, but it's not like there is no reasonable excuse for the Lunarians to wants to die even if they look so happy. Whatever the cause is, their civilization progress has some how lead them to that point.

Users who are viewing this thread