Latest post by thread

What this is about:
[ul]Latest post preview on the homepage. ie.
image.png

[/ul]Suggestion:
[ul]Consider making latest post display the latest post by thread instead.

Eg. Currently, latest post will display something like
Code:
Thread 0 -- What is this manga?) I think it is 'Miss Not-So-Sidekick'. Unfortunately not on MD. Official trans available [1 min ago]
Thread 1 -- What do you like?) I like butterflies [1 min ago]
Thread 2 -- How will you die?) Death by virginity. I will die, murdered by my own d*** trying to loose its virginity. [2 min ago]
Thread 1 -- What do you like?) @thatEmoKid. Ouch.... [3 min ago]
Thread 1 -- What do you like?) I hate all of you [3 min ago]

Instead, we should consider yielding
Code:
Thread 0 -- What is this manga?) I think it is 'Miss Not-So-Sidekick'. Unfortunately not on MD. Official trans available [1 min ago]
Thread 1 -- What do you like?) I like butterflies [1 min ago]
Thread 2 -- How will you die?) Death by virginity. I will die, murdered by my own d*** trying to loose its virginity. [2 min ago]

Notice, only the newest post from thread 1 is displayed. This gives us more room to display other threads.

[/ul]The current problem?[ol][*] Threads with high activity drown out all other threads on latest post box
[ul][*]Announcements
[*]Games (last letter, Superpower, etc)
[/ul][*]We generally care more about what threads have been recently active and what they are about than what the latest actual post are.
[ul][*]I am not going to post in the 'Last Letter Game' no matter how active it is. Nor am I interested in reading every recent post from it.
[*]A thread named 'Looking for recs' would attract my attention, regardless of how many recent replies there have been or what was recently said.
[*]This is currently the closest supplement we have for following threads. But its basically been useless for that for the last 2 days
[/ul][*] The current system fails to show every post anyways when there are a high volume of posts.
[ul][*]We only have 10 slots to display for a 5-10 minute time period. During peek times (eg. after announcements), a good 10-20 post may never be displayed anyways due to the high volume of posts.
[*]With previews only being ~55 characters, it often doesn't do a great job at telling you what the latest post is, so it functions more like a thread activity gauge atm anyways.
[/ul][/ol]
Benefits:
[ul][*]Popular threads like "Last Letter game" No longer would overtake the homepage's thread preview.
[*] Despite no longer overtaking the homepage, these popular game threads would still go on unaffected since users would still know when a new post was made.
[*] More threads would be displayed on homepage, making more topics available for the public to read, and thus possibly attracting a wider audience into the forms.
[*] Increased audience to new threads, allowing them time to attract attention of those interested in the topic. If I posted this during peek hours, it likely wouldn't even appear on the homepage. With this change, it should last at least 1 10min cycle.
[/ul]

I am sure there are plenty more reason to do it. And I am sure there are an several reasons I completely ignored not to. Just my suggestion bc, atm, this feature seems the most bothersome to me.

Lol, yea, nothing last long atm.
It was occasionally annoying beforehand. Not sure if the added issues are due to increase in userbase, or bc it is summer break now. But, either way, it has become unusable lately. Hoping a change like this will be easy and beneficial.

Users who are viewing this thread