Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

• Loli Emilia is best

Votes: 1,001 28.0%
  • Emilia is best

Votes: 915 25.6%
  • I'm lame and like Rem

Votes: 1,656 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fed-Kun's army
@Nick86
I mean yes it can be fixed, but they don't want to. It is clear from the start.

And I think there's something wrong with your browser if the settings aren't saved. Either it clears the cookies automatically or you use the private mode.

https://mangadex.org/thread/406318

Beyond the performance hit, accessibility also nosedived. I recognize most unaffected users don't care and most developers don't care, but I manage a UX team that can't release front end work that doesn't pass WCAG 2.1 AA not just because it makes better websites but also most public-facing work should consider risk mitigation as their default design posture. Obviously you're not a commercial site and aren't concerned about ADA suits but it's pretty easy to use solutions that don't ruin screen readers, kb navigation, or otherwise lock out users who need accommodation.

I'd imagine your browser metrics skew heavily on desktop to Chrome like every other site on earth, so anything negatively impacting TTVR, TTI, TTFI, page load, CLS will be amplified to the end user given how awful a resource hog it is. (Yes, they should get a better browser, no, they aren't likely to.)

Anyways, I enjoy the service the site has provided over the years and will personally figure out how to get by with Tampermonkey. I simply wanted to offer a POV of a user who relies on accessible sites personally and isn't bashing forced change "just because." (And also to support the immediate and clear performance degradation comments of moving away from the legacy reader. Maybe not everyone experiences it, but it's there.)

Group Leader
@Nick86
Just closed the browser and reopen it, the reader settings are not saved, i need to reset everything again at log in, is this inteded?
I did what you told. I logged out, login, restart my browser, and it still save my settings. I haven't try to clear my cookies though. What browser do you use? Are you sure it's not your browser or extension settings?

I'm not the staff, just someone who is concerned.

Here, a quote from Teasday the Dev:

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@Nick86 Because people use different settings on different devices. Tying them to the account would be a functional downgrade. If the settings aren't saved, you're breaking cookies deliberately and that's out of our control.

The legacy reader has been unsupported for over two years and it's only luck that's kept it around for this long. It loads images slower, it puts more strain on the webserver, it doesn't support MD@H, and as of our infrastructure changes last night it literally cannot load images anymore. If you have actual specific complaints with the functionality of the new reader, tell us.

@nyaasar not everyone is rich enough to afford a ten year old monitor and a phone. some can only afford a 20 year old pawn shop reject monitor and forego the phone. plus, the original needed little customization and worked fine for the end user. meanwhile, you're defending the removal of a type of customization in the form of alternative reader layouts.

@ixlone 'works great'? let's find out! one, ta-hwoo, a three. legacy getting removed was known only to the handful of people who come to the forums, and usually they only come here when something happens that affects them and their ability to read manga comfortably. it's one reason why you always see the same people posting in every thread despite the high manga readership and it's why there's a thread in the 'support' subforum' asking why images are broken, complete with someone saying they hope you guys fix legacy soon.
Only a miniscule amount of people even used legacy - since we disabled it from new accounts many months ago.
and yet there's still eight pages of this thread full of people complaining about the default reader and/or stating they miss the legacy reader.

Power Uploader
@BraveDude8 in case this has been ignored for so long, I'm just going to list what people have been complaining about the new reader:

1: No progressive loading. The images are only ever loaded WHEN IT'S FINISHED. I don't care how you paint this, this is BAD practice, because on simple series such as 4-koma, people get to read *some* panels with progressive loading, but this is impossible with the new reader

2: The Slidebar: How do I even begin, every single loader out there use header/footer navigation reader, MD is the only one that forces Slidebar upon us. Ignoring the fact that it squishes images on smaller PC monitor, this is a KNOWN complains that have been promised to be fixed for years, yet the newest update didn't deliver. Naturally people are gonna be mad that you gutted the legacy reader without making the new reader good enough.

Fed-Kun's army
Only used that for that one Mangadex chapter downloader which requirzd legacy on, already switched to another program, so whatever I guess.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@Fullerhorn Less than 0.1% of users had legacy enabled.

@RonBWL Tea is working on the latter, although I don't know why people would rather give up vertical space over horizontal on a landscape monitor. The legacy reader being randomly killed off was not intended. I believe there's a technical reason for images not loading progressively, but I can't remember the details.

Power Uploader
@BraveDude8

1. It takes up too much space.
2. No one likes squishing images
3. Near-sighted people (I myself am permanently near-sighted) would rather just look up to the top instead of having to fly across to the right side of the screen, especially on ultra-wide monitor

Also it seems you guys do not care about QA test, or at least don't want to make sure the legacy reader could still hold up while the new reader's being built. I call this bad practice and justify the majority of complains here. Yes no one's getting paid, but that doesn't mean you get to do whatever you please and then complain when people complain

Double-page supporter
2: The Slidebar: (blah-blah-blah)

What a BS. A read a lot and I open sidebar maybe once per month. Currently in hidden state it takes literally ZERO screen-space unlike legacy.

Group Leader
Finally. Old reader sucked, used default from the day it started - customization rocks.
Legacy is now gone, and it's good.

Staff
Admin
@fullerhorn

8 pages of a few people. Considering the user base that is miniscule, yeah.

It's miniscule even compared to the 0.1% of users who even had it enabled.

Supporter
I understand personal preferences and legit feedback regarding the readers, but holy sheep some people talk like the default reader came to life and NTR their entire family in front of them or something lol

Staff
Admin
@RonBWL

The "new" reader has been around for years at this point. Has served way more images than legacy reader ever has. It's not exactly untested.

Edit: It also had volunteers help test it before it went live years ago, too.

And of course it has had constant updates, fixes and improvements based on feedback during that time, with more to come.

Contributor
@BraveDude8 - My browser automatically delete all cookies for privacy reasons when i close it, it also block tracking websites such as google analytics and third parties data collectors, is a normal behaviour in firefox.

@ixlone - Is possible to fix the cookie issue?

Let my settings be linked to my account server sql database and not cookie based or everytime i open the browser i need to set the reader again. I don't think can be hard to code, yet the global settings such languages, main GUI and theme are account based so let reader settings to be the same.

Sorry to have my browser in privacy mode, but come on, is stupid to use cookies, it can be ok for unregistered users but make no sense for registered users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread