Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

• Loli Emilia is best

Votes: 1,001 28.0%
  • Emilia is best

Votes: 915 25.6%
  • I'm lame and like Rem

Votes: 1,656 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Contributor
@ixlone - I know is gone, but you open purposely this forum to gather opinions right? I gave to you my honest opinion and still i think that the actual reader have an awfull GUI and options, legacy one was the best reader, in the end you can do whatever you want since this website is your property. Said that i did not intended to attack anynone, was just a genuine feedback.

@kraize

It isnt that bad honestly, and I say this as someone that has only used legacy since I first found this site.

I just changed the settings to make it more like legacy. I guess the customization is neat.

Mine wasn't switched over automatically and had to do it myself after reading this post.

To think I was just using it around half an hour ago, until I clicked the next the chapter.

The feeling produced from discovering this news is the equivalent of losing something of high sentimental value.

Now I have to scroll all the way to the top to quickly access comments or the previous chapter whilst being nostalgic of the legacy reader.

My sense of loss is measurable, and my day is mildly inconvenienced.

Beatrice is better than Rem and Emilia combined (which is a low bar).

Edit:
Smhing my head, I always use incognito mode for MangaDex so now I have to redo the settings each time I log in when using the default reader.

My use of MangaDex is now from mildly inconvenient to slightly more inconvenient
(it would be kinda nice having long strip mode as a user setting (similar to site themes) or a quick button (like every other website)).

Why is their a scroll down clicker for long strip comics by default, no other site uses it, if it is longstrip by default shouldn't the clicker be disabled by default so you don't go to the next longstrip image by accident?

Not even Webtoon uses it, I'm filled with disgust everytime I have to scroll back up after clicking a longstrip image (it's the equivalent to a walk of shame).

Fed-Kun's army
Seriously, if you can't configure the reader to be better than legacy one... It's better to step back from the electronic device you are using. It might be dangerous to you.

Also, re0 sucks

Dex-chan lover
Oh rip. I thought image server was down cause the images doesn't load. Guess I'll have to get used to the "new" reader then 😥

Dex-chan lover
The OG reader blew ass anyway, and was a big reason I went all in in on just downloading my chapters early on. I'm comfortable with my current setup, but I'm happy to hear if more of the fat can be trimmed this way. Although if so few users were using it anyway I can't imagine it's really all that much a contribution.

Don't blow a fuse just over some user foot-shuffling, though.

@ixlone I know they hardly take any resources, but I'd rather see the forums deleted/stripped down to the bare-bones altogether in all honesty, if it meant so much as a nipple's pixel-worth of performance improvement.

Otto is best girl no questions. But if I had to pick, I'd pick loli emilia, since young emilia hasn't been "written" yet, so you can change her future into a better written one

Group Leader
Welp, Im in the minority here. But I preffered the "simple" way of reading manga. As a amateur programmer myself I can appreciate the effort put into the "modern" version. But I still like this simple. Le'sigh

Dex-chan lover
Can you guys make an option to load every page of the chapter at once instead of the 20 pages max limit? or at least make a keyboard shortcut for the "pre-load the entire chapter" button. or make said button right on the side bar instead of burying it in advance settings.

Edit: Never mind, I found the solution. @kirby_422 thanks for the tip buddy Lmao

Dex-chan lover
@ixlone Actually it's my turn to be 'shocked'. You guys kept a feature that was draining extra resources, received no further development and only served such a ridiculously tiny minority of users, for two years? I thought it might be at least single digit percentage of users.

You're much more accommodating than I ever would have been.

is a Reindeer
VIP
re0 sucks
@Tikibo I'll show you something that sucks🗡️

@Nick86 This wasn't so much a feedback thread, just a notification thread. We know what people have been complaining about already, reasons such as "I don't like having all these options" will pretty much get ignored because we're not just going to... not add features because some people don't want to use said features lol

Contributor
The legacy reader had a superior UI. It is amusing to see the site admins and developers doing the classic "It's not a bug, it's a feature!" thing whenever people complain about the poor design choices that have been made in the new reader. Perhaps you should have reached out to legacy reader users a year or two ago, and asked us what we like about the legacy reader, then added those features as options to the new reader before killing off the legacy reader.

Contributor
@Plykiya - Well, i never told you to not add options, is good to have options, was just asking to leave the old reader alone for people who liked it, if the old reader broke the website and the "load all" images at once was an excessive stress for the server, you should have also consider to fix it instead of remove it, like add a limit to 20 pages lo load at once, or base it on cookies only.
The solution was simple to please everyone if you really wanted, but you guys choose to remove it altogether and piss off lot of users, this thread show this. Is indeed your choice, moreover you admit you expected backslash, it show that lot of users like the legacy reader, heck, i used it since MD was born so changing to this, sorry, crappy one, is a drastic change for a lot of people.

Contributor
@Xunder - For old i mean the first iteration not the alternative one, they are different readers not the same upgraded, completely different behaviour and GUI. First one was the best for my configuration, if not i didn't use for years in the first place.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@DrNo We did, in fact, get plenty of feedback in multiple threads. Just because you didn't participate in them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Main points from the threads were:
1. Reader with no options is simple to use (it's just shittily programmed, it's not like that because it was some stroke of genius, it's as simple as you possible could've done for having images that show up on a page)
2. Makes the request to load every single page at the exact same time (not going to happen)
3. Preloads all images, not just 20 (Already solved with the addition of MD@H)
4. The images show up ahead of time so you can read it as it loads line by line (This isn't progressive loading, or even really a feature, it's just the default behavior that happens when you place a plain image element on a page)
5. They don't like the sidebar layout (a top view layout option is already being added)
6. The sidebar offsets the image to the left 13 pixels (already solved)

There's nothing to add that's a "feature" from the legacy reader because the legacy reader basically had no features lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread