Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

• Loli Emilia is best

Votes: 1,001 28.0%
  • Emilia is best

Votes: 915 25.6%
  • I'm lame and like Rem

Votes: 1,656 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff
Admin
@DrNo

We didn't intentionally kill it off, updates broke it and we already told everyone it was on borrowed time many times before and would not receive any updates.

Unrelated fun fact: 97.2% of accounts on MD were created after the legacy reader was replaced.

Contributor
@BraveDude8 - And this thread already reached 10+ pages. If you want to have a better result then make a poll with an announcement. People will vote for the first vs second iteration (of course only old accounts can vote not the one create today).

Double-page supporter
> Doubt that, this thread already reached 10+ pages.

Yea, and half of it is just you and couple other whiners 😎

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@Nick86 Which of us knows the exact number of users that had legacy enabled?

>97% of the accounts on the site were created after legacy was replaced, less than 3% of people ever used it as the default. I don't know why it's so unbelievable that only a couple thousand people were using a feature that got dummied out to a hidden setting literally two and a half years ago.

Contributor
@BraveDude8 - These are just fixed %, many of such accounts can be inactive or switched to the legacy one later, making a poll now is better to have a wider estimate.

Moreover is useless to reply to you, you like the recent reader so why bother, why you care? You gain and lose nothing. I never told people to discard the new reader when they make it, everyone have the right to use whatever they want, it their own choice, having more options are always better.

"...updates broke it"

Well, you also can ask someone else to fix it or rewrite it for you if you do not have the time, we are a community not? Helping each other is a good thing to make everyone happy. 😀

people seriously up in arms about being "forced" to use a sidebar that can be collapsed away with the same keystroke used to expand it.

also @Nick86 I remember when I first started using the site (after default reader was introduced) and did not choose to use legacy reader even though I saw the option, which is further than some users will get because some people would rather not mess with options.
Well, you also can ask someone else to fix it or rewrite it for you if you do not have the time, we are a community not? Helping each other is a good thing to make everyone happy. 😀
Do it then.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@Nick86 It's been broken for two and a half years, just not broken enough for you to realise, apparently. It's not getting fixed, it was never going to get fixed, and the new reader is superior and actually worthy of continued development.

The legacy reader puts more load on our site, is incompatible with the API, can't properly use MD@H, has no way to recover from failed image loads, uses more screen real estate for options, and as of yesterday is literally incompatible with the new site infrastructure. You've had two and a half years to explain what's wrong with the default reader, and many people did, which is why it's been updated constantly over said two and a half years.

Instead you're in this thread complaining about websites not working properly when you nuke all your cookies constantly.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@fullerhorn posted:

i don't know what else you can call that. doesn't a project normally get everyone involved on the same page before doing something like this? wouldn't members of a project usually get the option Teasday claims to be working on done and roll that out before getting rid of the other feature?
I wouldn't read too much into it, I haven't been around much this week because I just got a job and I've been focusing on it instead of keeping up with what the rest of the staff is working on

Contributor
@BraveDude8 - I don't get what you are talking about, worked flawlessy to me for years. Never got any aissues at all. Nothing will change anyway, this is a open forum to speak about a feature removed and i'm explaining my genuine pov.
You are just complaining about me or better trolling since you gain nothing from this, it wont affect you but you attack me for no reason.

Group Leader
@JaHommaPelaa
You just don't understand, the 0,1% were the ones that mattered the most!
After all, Nick86 was one of them.
/s
I believe that was intended as a sarcasm, yes? 'Cause that made me laugh so hard.
0OanRK7.gif

Contributor
@vessalius - Is not me to decide, if admins ask for help to fix the legacy reader i'm sure someone more competent than me will do it. I'm a designer not a coder.

Group Leader
@Nick86
Just curious though, could you list what you like from the now-gone-forever legacy reader?
[*]?
[*]?
[*]?

And maybe, just maybe, the current reader probably have all that if you want to spend a bit of your time to customize it. And allow the cookies of course, so that you don't have to re-set all the setting. Make a whitelist in your browser setting to allow MD to store its harmless cookies to your local drive.

Or find an extension for Firefox that could manage cookies and browsing history.

EDIT: Oh, wait. You logged out and logged in every time you want to read on MD, right? Never mind then.

@Nick86

Ah yes, the classic "I am not able to do it but someone should do it! 😡"

If we take the numbers given by site staff at face face value (>97% of accounts made after default reader, <3% ever had it as a default option) and consider that there is a reasonable chance that the true fractions of the population that still use it is similar (and not moreso >99% for default as I would believe or >3% for legacy as you would likely believe) then we can do some simple maths.

As of writing, the newest user is 2618832.
2618832 x .03 = 78564.96
<80k people are expected to use legacy reader then, with some not even using the site anymore.

Similarly we can calculate the default readers with...
2618832 - 78564.96 = 2540267.04
>2.5 million are expected to use default reader, with some also not using the site anymore.

If you ask me, it is a no brainer that a dead weight reader that services a very clear minority should be removed once it no longer works with the new systems.

Group Leader
@vessalius
Dayum, so you can use math like that, huh? I should probably pay more attention when I was in school. Poor me.

But yeah, minorities win over the majorities is unlikely, so ... Unless those minorities have some OP powers like many of our Isekai protag ...

@nyaasar

I will say that my analysis does not take into account any form of variation that can occur naturally. There could always be a situation in which the numbers have a low probability of being wildly different to what I wrote, but considering consistency across a population size of 2.6 million is not far-fetched.

To put the 2.6 million users into perspective... according to this site, MangaDex has more users than 93 out of 235 countries have in total population.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Reminder that a huge chunk of the user accounts were created by spam bots though.

@vessalius posted:

As of writing, the newest user is 2618832.
If that's true, we got over 100 new accounts in about 12 minutes

Group Leader
huge chunk of the user accounts were created by spam bots though.
Damn those spam bots! They're everywhere like rat shits. Shoutout to Nhentai spam accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread