Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

• Loli Emilia is best

Votes: 1,001 28.0%
  • Emilia is best

Votes: 915 25.6%
  • I'm lame and like Rem

Votes: 1,656 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone help me? I was switched over to the nee reader but was unaware that the legacy reader was being retired. So I went back and switched to it. No I can't find the option to change to the new reader.

Group Leader
@FallenAngelDraco
I believe, "Clear them cookies" might actually be useful in this situation. Feel free to try!

Disclaimer:
I'm not an expert, you should wait for the mods/devs to answer that.

Contributor
@nyaasar - I already tried in the past years to customize it, but everytime i back to the legacy one because 1) settings aren't saved and my browser delete the cookies on exit and 2) the side interface, page resizing, loading images are heavy and unpractical.

Regarding your first question, i reply below in detail:

- Chapter pages are loaded at once
- Cause pages are loaded at once i was able to dowbload all the pages through firefox build-in media feature and save them to my pc (you know, i like to collect some manga)
- Interface was very simple and you don't have to manage 20 options to remove all the useless crap the new interface have
- pressing the mouse button go to the new chapter, the new reader instead go to to the next page and rotate in a infinite loop to the start
- at the bottom of each chapter there is the chapter discussion button, to do so in the new reader i need to press the arrow to make the gui reappear and then press the discussion button
- resizing pages more large than your browser layout was automatic, you do not need to set anything, in this new reader by default the pages are all resized in the right side, you need to scroll it with arrows keys or mouse key to read it, using the container option it surely resize the whole pages but resizing is too small, it seems there is something hidden on the right and left side that prevent the correct page streching
- in the new reader pages take more time to load because of the round smartphone icons with useless animations
- is more heavy and slow to load since it have to preload all these new gui elements and scripts

tl;dr Legacy reader was simple, instant to load without any options, the settings were stored in the database and not cookie based, since there is no menù it have the correct centered resizing images base on the browser layout.

Tha'ts all and why i love the legacy reader.

Power Uploader
lmao i wan't expecting see a reader war here. I stopped using the legacy on 2020. I like how simple it was but i prefer the default one.

Dex-chan lover
He still thinks reader settings are stored in cookies. Smh...

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@Halo
They aren't? I honestly don't know, I only change the pixel width sometimes and then delete it when I read other stuff.

@Teasday this indeed does change the numbers... to what extent I cannot say. I can reasonably assume that the first <80k that registered were not bots though

Dex-chan lover
@Richman They're stored in LocalStorage.

...If you have to keep setting them back, you must be wiping your cache or local files constantly. Don't do that. As mentioned, the reader settings are local so that they won't interfere with reading on multiple devices, and we have absolutely no plans to change that.
https://mangadex.org/thread/406318/1/#post_4424809

Wiping cookies only would not affect them. His problem is using incognito mode instead of setting up browser properly to wipe cookies only on exist. Please don't quote this, pretty sure he blocked me and this is hilarious.

Group Leader
Oopsies, I legit thought it was stored as a cookie lol
Ma bad. Really. Gomennasorry.

That actually cleared my misunderstanding

lol I can still get the reader to function on new chapters, only old chapters are broken.

Honestly, I've been reading on my mobile from the start and I don't exactly feel bothered with the change. I mean to me, I don't feel like anything changed at all. As long as things load fast that's all that eventually matters. The best simplest UI won't matter if you can't load a thing.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Nick86 posted:

- in the new reader pages take more time to load because of the round smartphone icons with useless animations
What on earth are you talking about? A spinning icon (that you preloaded the second you opened the site because we use those icons everywhere) has absolutely fuckall to with the speed at which images are downloaded. The images aren't rendered before they've completely finished downloading because otherwise the double page option wouldn't work as intended. For single and long, I could technically change that, but it wouldn't actually speed up the download in any way. You'd just get blurry half-finished images to look at for a second.

I guarantee you, unless you're running Windows 3.1 that little css animation has absolutely no impact on performance whatsoever, nothing would load faster if it didn't spin

- is more heavy and slow to load since it have to preload all these new gui elements and scripts
It's actually overall lighter, the difference in what you feel to be heaviness comes from legacy being able to load chapter and data directly from the database since it had to be rendered server-side anyway, whereas the default loads that data dynamically while the reader is already rendering, introducing a visual lag. The initial setup time when opening the reader may be a tad slower, true, but if you keep reading, every other chapter loads much faster and is much less of a strain on resources than legacy.

If you search anything on google, you're already loading dozens of times more "gui elements and scripts" than the reader does

@BraveDude8 It's just that usually things break in the other direction. Newer content usually breaks first whenever a website I'm using retires a feature.

It's unfortunate that the legacy reader didn't scale well enough for the site.

This announcement doesn't really change anything for me, I'm still going to keep using it until it completely breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread