Leveling Up Alone - Ch. 23

That's at least new. I thought he would have to just get an elixir, but the author had a good idea using a monster as the reason to why he is "sick".

glad it go different route instead same old elixir treasure hunt route.

Double-page supporter
Ehh werent healers able to heal this?
Or did the author change things up after being called out or something.

I love this plot twist, so it’s not a disease but a parasite. It’s something I didn’t see coming. I wonder how he’s going to get rid of it.

Dex-chan lover
Shows picture of black and some grey in the middle "why is there such a huge cave under seoul?!!".
Am I reading a novel or what? You showed me actually nothing and you're telling me it's huge, sounds like a novel to me.

Double-page supporter
@fdhgjj what i meant was if healers can heal this how come no one else nows about the parasite? why arent healers getting hurt by its ability to drain them?

Aggregator gang
@Death_Saved
Think about it. MC healed it and his father seemed cured. The only reason he figured it out was because he healed it a second time. And when he did it started to suck his mana dry and cause him not to run away and he probably only avoided the worst fate because of Kabis.

So it's naturally a combination of consecutive healing, and the attack that comes if the healing is done more than twice in a short period of time.

Banned
@Death_Saved

it could be what @Trov said or those "healers" are in cahoots with that horror.
We are at cthulu stages of horror now. An invisible monster thing that slowly eats away the vitality of victims and can take over healers that attack it. That's HP Lovecraft horror.

He only sees it for what it is because of his mana vision skill and Kabris didn't notice it until she used that skill trying to find a way to stop the mana from being stolen from the MC.
So far we haven't seen awakened hunters with more than one skill after all. But then again he has been only in a squad with low leveled hunters.

The story chapters is only in the early double digits so I expect more complexity being revealed as the story progresses.

Aggregator gang
@Death_Saved, the author only said there are conditions that only healers can cure, implying that there are likely conditions that may have something to do with the appearance of monsters and/or magic, or the author was simply alluding to untreatable things like AIDS, HIV, Cancer, etc. which modern medicine can't get rid of. In reality, there are no such things as cures, only treatments to help the body fight off disease and sickness naturally and to help reduce symptoms. So author seemed to be alluding to healers being used to deal with extreme diseases and conditions and either supernatural conditions. It also could've been that if the dad was healed for anything earlier, assuming the parasite was smaller and weaker then, that the healing may have gotten rid of the creature also. I'm assuming the dad likely acquired the parasite a long time ago and it sapped his life over time as it grew to the stage it's at now.

As others pointed out, MC only saw the parasite because he has mana vision or whatever and can see mana or mana-based things. We don't know yet if any other unique hunters have a similar skill or if any of them are unique healers and have a similar skill.

@nooneinparticular, My question is why does Kabis assume that if they get stronger they can defeat it? Yet, she also claimed not to know what it was?

"What is that thing"
"I don't know"

Isn't that the same thing you have on your chest, the one-eyed symbol?

@Elroy79 Because the MC is weak and inexperienced. Getting stronger could also mean getting experience. He has a higher level heal skill, but that doesn't mean he knows how to use it well.
The parasite itself is clearly something a newbie shouldn't mess with, not only do they need a way to kill something they have never encountered before, but they must also do it without killing the host.

Aggregator gang
@Happy_Demon, getting stronger doesn't necessarily mean he'll still be able to take down the parasite. What if giving it more or a higher level heal just makes it drain it from MC more? That's what I was getting at. Kabis assumed, after saying she had no knowledge about it (although @StorminUrAss makes a good point about that) that they'd be able to deal with the parasite just by getting stronger.

Also, getting stronger doesn't necessarily mean he'll gain experience. MC can literally go into the Monster Hunter territory and hunt the lowest level of monsters and gain strength from that without gaining experience. I'm not saying the author would do that, but it's a possibility. MC can also gain a high-level heal, but never gain the experience of using it on something like the parasite to know how it will react to a high-level heal. Experience in regard to dealing with the parasite is a lot different than experience in regard to being out there just hunting monsters.

Am I the only one surprised to have a brains over brawn type of thug for once? Anyone ?

Users who are viewing this thread