Machikado Mazoku - Vol. 3 Ch. 39 - Sunset Oath! The Road Ahead for us Fellow Demons

Shamiko and her eye juices. She is such a gentle girl.

I'm slightly disappointed Momo's transformation didn't take, but I guess we can take it as a preview. Her becoming Shamiko's wifevassal is inevitable... Even Joshua is already calling Momo a fellow demon.

But to think the magic is so little maintaining her body is not possible, no wonder she sent Lilith flying when she did not mention the loss of magic (though I imagine even Lilith wasn't aware Momo would just dematerilize if they went through with it at the moment)

@Lilliwyt

As I see it, that request was more a "take care of the city if something happens." Although, there are certainly some possible threats. The biggest one (what hapenn in a later volume, more of less) is for someone dangerus arrive from outside the city and put it in danger.

@KZO
@Evron

The problem is that Momo did not fall completely into darkness. As lillith said, her body is still made of "light", that creates a discord with her spirit that became "dark." This ploblem would be solved if she made a complete contract with Shamiko (making her body "dark" too) but then, she would become weaker, So...
Anyway, you can be sure that it is not the last time we see the dark peach ;).

pd: someone could tell me how to use the spoiler? please :(

@Reiba1925
Above the comment box is a picture of an eyeball with a line through it. That’s the spoiler button. Or you could write out “[ spoiler ]” and “[ /spoiler ]“ without the spaces.

@Reiba1925
I see, I misinterpreted the dialogue... now that I think about it Momo said that returning to "light" was for the best rather than the only option.

@quint
I would only expect to see something like that in a manga like Gintama... Guys in black kimono wielding a "soul cutting fish" (Zanpakugyo?)

@Evron
dude, hell, bleach story can be converted into fish fight manga as it is. see, we get the good guys fighting with fishes, fem mc would get some cutesy, yet deadly thing like mantis shrimp, some big guy swinging bankai blue whale. i have no idea how much drugs you would need to use to be able to watch such a show, but that's beside the point. and the bad guys are all like seaguls from Nemo, screaming MINE while attacking. they would get cool beak masks too, so there's that.

Speaking of the chapter itself. What I love about it is seeing Momo's development and how herrelationship with Shamiko has progressed to this point.

Momo started as a kind of veteran soldier who had tired of that lifestyle after years of fighting. desperately looking for her lost sister, while carrying all the scars (both physical and mental) that she acquired for her work (which apparently did not genere any vonification unless it was monetary), work that made her someone isolated, stoic, lonely and without any goal in life other than recovering her only family, the only reason why she came to the town.

Then, she met Shamiko. Someone who, in the first instance, she saw as an opportunity to find her sister. She quickly feel sorry for seeing how incompetent Shamiko was so she decided to train her, partly because of genuine concern and partly to be able to gain information by approaching to her. As she continued to interact with Shamiko, she began to feel attracted by her purity and sweetness, this allowed her to see the positive points of shamiko and begin to integrate her more into her life. Eventualy, get to the point where Shamiko became someone who momo wanted to keep close, not to achieve a goal, just because she wanted her by her side. Finally we come to this moment where Shamiko has already become the most important person in Momo's life (the same sakura said that Momo had found something more important than her in the city, clearly referring to Shamiko) someone with who wants stay forever and whose wellbeing has became the maximum priority of Momo.

nowadays, Momo has a much happier life than he had in his time as an active magical girl. She has already found his sister's whereabouts. She has recovered from the mental / emotional damage that his work left on her, has begun to interact with more people, has returned to show expressions, is surrounded by people and has found a new goal in life, as well as a new reason to fight. Simply ... she has regained the happy life she lost 10 years ago. And all thanks to the fact that she met Shamiko.

That's what makes this scene so wonderful: https://mangadex.org/chapter/737813/13

I would also like to highlight this scene because it serves as a perfect example of how much the concern and affection of momo for shamiko has increased
https://mangadex.org/chapter/737813/16
If you remember, in volume one, when Shamiko cried Momo felt uncomfortable at the most . But now, look at her expression in the first frame, She was very worried! (It is true that Shamiko was crying for a reason of greater weight, but Momo did not know that).

I love when in a series you can see a chapter, compare it with a past one, and notice a clear difference in the behavior and interactions of the characters. It is a sign that the characters and the story have evolved progressively and sure they will grow much more.

PD: wow ... maybe I overwrote a bit...

Fed-Kun's army
For a first time, that dork goat can actually see the Fresh Peach point of view. And yet, she still understand nothing. What a dork!

I really love how hung up Shamiko was on Momo not falling to darkness for her.

Big thanks to @gapchoc for fixing last chapter's translations. I am honestly not expecting any response to these comments.

Mikan's shaking hand behind her back on page 5 is great detail, Momo's save on page 8, too.

"Even if"s seem to be missing a lot in the translations, and "also" is quite overused.
Anyways, context changing errors this chapter:

Page 6, panel three: "Um...Is Momo's fall to darkness really something that needs to be reverted so forcibly!?"

Page 7, panel one: "Even if it means being a bit forceful, returning to normal is the for best for now."
Panel three : "These feelings I got from you ten years ago... I'll return them right now!", original sounds a lot more dramatic, and the "feelings" feel emphasized.

Page 8, panel one: "Uh...Seems like I'm back.", there's some uncertainty.

Page 13, panel four:"That's...about it" should just be "I feel like that will become my new goal."

Page 14, panel 2~3: "Why? Even though I couldn't bring Sakura-san back..." "Can someone like me really do it? Sakura's request...", I feel like Shamiko's low expectations on herself is somewhat important for her character.

Page 16, panel one: "Is there anything you'd like to eat?", the current phrasing kinda sounds like hunger has something to do with Shamiko's crying, when she's really just trying to offer food to calm her down.

Page 17, panel one: "I'll give it a shot if Momo's willing to help.", "Right...Then, while it's still difficult for us to become kins through magic..."; Panel two: "We who will go through thick and thin together, our affinities may be different, but we are kins by heart.
(This one is particularly hard to translate due to 眷属 being able to refer to a familial relationship, and vassal not. I used kin because it sounds demon-y, like how it does in Japanese. This sentence sounds dumb, but it is intended.)
Panel three: "I knew it, forget about it. Take this then forget about it.", and panel four: "One more time! Say that one more time!"; "Do your best, demons! Work hard with your friends and become stronger!".

Edit: Not a translation error, but I feel obliged to mention that on page 4, Lilith's line in Japanese goes, "Tsu~Ma~Ri~ Momo wa onushi no koto ga...", which is obviously intended to be followed up with a "suki".
So, in other words, "Momo likes/loves you".

Dex-chan lover
@Reiba1925 it was a good summary! Thank you for writing it up in depth!

It really is a touching moment, though.

Another good chapter, it's great how despite being a light hearted gag-comedy, the story has not been ignored, there has been enough thought put out with tid bits of information included that will likely be relevent for future chapter, even Shamiko's health, was attibuted to her taking on her sisters curse as well, which I expect will likely be expanded upon later in the story, and who knows we may even get a explanation on how Shamiko achieved this at such a young age.

Dex-chan lover
What exactly is Momo refering to on page 17, The bit about Shamiko forgetting? Guess I've forgotten too.

Hold the phone; I just realized that Shamiko’s reaction to Momo’s smile was basically just the “have you ever seen a girl so beautiful you started crying” meme.

As I mentioned, last chapter was my favorite serious plot chapter, but this one is a close second.

After reading it so many times I still find new things in it, it's that good. Like Shmiko cheering up Mikan and hugging her after she destroyed the school shed or how Momo's hairpiece switched from white to black permanently after her two affinities stabilized.

Shamiko is a bit dense as usual, it may even be a bit frustrating. All of those obvious hints that Momo loves her so much that she became even more important than Sakura to her, went over Shami's head.
Momo was ready to give her blood and corrupt her own spirit to save Shamiko without hesitation, but she didn't even thank her, how mean haha. She was incredibly supportive and nice to our goat demon this chapter, she really has grown.

I love the mirrored goals they have now. Shamiko's number 1 goal is to give Momo a beaming smile (and oh did she ever get that! Simply beautiful). Momo's life goal now is to protect Shamiko's home so that she can keep smiling as well. Unlike the first vassal talk on the sakura hill, this one was actually obviously fueled by real feelings for each other. Momo might as well have confessed the way she acted and talked.
Lilith knows, Sakura knows, everybody knows at this point, only those two bumbling idiots can't be honest to themselves and each other.

@KZO
About the hairclips, I know they look a bit thinner, but they are the same clips Shamiko gave her. Momo treasures them forever and will never stop wearing them. Magical girls can change their clothes and appearance with ether, so most people assume she changed the clips shape a bit. She apparently thinks they look more stylish in the cross pattern.

@ilikepi31415

I think she was talking about Shamiko's promise at the end of volume 2. That of always being by her side and never suddenly disappearing one day (as did her sister)

@BugDemon

Being fair. Shamiko never found out that Momo tried to deliver her blood to save her. But yes. Even if she knew it, she would probably still be unable to realize the meaning behind it.

@Reiba1925
Well leaving the blood aside, Momo was ready to fall to darkness for Shamiko's sake and risked her life anyway. Knowing how much Momo was against it before really should have been enough to make Shamiko realize this.

@BugDemon

I know. For that I said "Even if she knew it, she would probably still be unable to realize the meaning behind it". I just wanted to mention the fact that Shamiko didn't know anything about the blood

Users who are viewing this thread