[Mainsite] Push notifications not working on second device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff
Super Moderator
I got a push notification this afternoon from Reddit, so I know it's doing something correct
I guess we can only wait for @Xnot's reply from the XenForo devs (it's probably macOS's fault or Chrome's fault tho)

I still think it's an Apple skill issue

Dex-chan lover
Works for me lol
Bro I have no clue anymore. Is it because my Chrome profiles are synced? This is so annoying because my second device is my laptop for college and I’m in college for another 2 months at least before the next break

Dex-chan lover
I don't know how you can possibly say this:
Chrome is basically a re-skin of Safari. It gives you the same experience like on Android phones, but it uses Safari's rendering engine and is probably limited by other Apple shenanigans.

So it's just a skill issue for using Apple devices
and then say this later
Blink is a fork of the WebCore component of WebKit
This literally means that Google Chrome is not a re-skin of safari. Also, just because the webcore is the same doesn't even mean that it's a fork of WebKit. Literally they just use some of the same components, where WebCore, in that same link that you shared is,
WebCore is a layout, rendering, and Document Object Model (DOM) library for HTML and Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), developed by the WebKit project.
Meaning that it's mainly a visual component. If anything, it would be closer to say that Google Chrome has a similar 'skin' as safari, instead of google chrome being a 're-skin' of safari, which is not the same in any way.

Also, I don't know why you said this,
Software updates exist, you know. Saying you "never had problems" or "since day 1" doesn't mean a lot.
It either really is some website problem because it didn't register your subscription (it doesn't work that way tho, it's your device making requests to a feed), or it's some change in macOS 13
The question now is just if you still get push notifications on your device with macOS 12. And are you super sure chrome didn't update on that device since macOS 13 was released?
Bzw reply to this so I can test notifications on my second device.
while also blatantly forgetting that you wrote this
@Remocracy @rdn from what I see on the xenforo forum, push notifications weren't supported on Apple devices for a long time (see here) since it just wasn't supported in Safari. But this was changed a few months ago (see also here), which means @Remocracy's devices are probably just too old to support it or Xenforo still needs "adjustments before it will work"

Chrome is basically a re-skin of Safari. It gives you the same experience like on Android phones, but it uses Safari's rendering engine and is probably limited by other Apple shenanigans.

So it's just a skill issue for using Apple devices
Like, if it worked for them before the change happened for Safari, then clearly Google Chrome is not the same as Safari.

Also, OP said they signed up for push notifications and it never came. If we disregard everything else, say that they're using safari, and just focus on the device being too old and say that their device didn't update past the point mentioned in the xenforo forum, then it wouldn't even prompt for a push notification.

So weird to me that you're so derogatory of OP by calling it a skill issue, when your main argument is "Safari = Chrome" , when it's not even close to being true.

Staff
Super Moderator
Also, just because the webcore is the same doesn't even mean that it's a fork of WebKit. Literally they just use some of the same components, where WebCore, in that same link that you shared is,

Meaning that it's mainly a visual component. If anything, it would be closer to say that Google Chrome has a similar 'skin' as safari, instead of google chrome being a 're-skin' of safari, which is not the same in any way.
Jesus christ
Chrome is basically a re-skin of Safari. It gives you the same experience like on Android phones [...]
Y-you do know what "[software] fork" means, right?
So weird to me that you're so derogatory of OP by calling it a skill issue
If you can't notice that it's me meming, then I really worry for you.
You're being a bit misleading here. Is your second device a Mac? If not, are you just testing to see if a second device works?
Good point, I was testing with my Android phone. My whole point of the argument was that it's not MangaDex fault and that there is a very high chance that it's Apple's fault. My point was proven.

Dex-chan lover
Why are you highlighting "android phones" when OP was talking about a Mac, not an iphone, so phones are literally irrelevant.
Y-you do know what "[software] fork" means, right?
Clearly, you don't know what a software fork is. Again, it's not a fork of webkit, like you claimed. It would only be a fork of webkit if they took a version of webkit and then modified it. What they did is use webcore, so at best you could call it a fork of webcore.

Edit: An example of what you're saying is that if I imported the same library that is used in another software, you're saying that my new software is a fork of that one, which wouldn't be true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread