Mairimashita! Iruma-kun - Ch. 363 - To the Future We Found

Dex-chan lover
I think a lot of people are sort of missing an important point, independence from stronger demons was never the goal. The point and reason for the task to begin with was to consolidate all the many ears in one location with the test being to make someone else do the ruling, something being a farmer forces them to do which Nova will lead. Nova is the one that wants to be independent from the greater demons. But a big part of that stems from his inferiority complex from having bad ears. By adding a trade to farming, Nova feels satisfy as the race has a skill independent from hearing and the main goal is accomplished of keeping the many-ears in one location. The overall situation didn’t really change that much but the thoughts involve in it has which is all that was needed.

Dex-chan lover
Kinda disappointed by how the story goes. This worked only because of a deus ex machina. Like nobody ever thought about trying these carrots or nobody noticed how these carrots are good even though they travel everywhere.

This give a far too simple answer to the many ears' problem.

Which was : Should you do what you are good for or should you pursue your dream ?

I was hoping they found another solution but for the moment it's still the same thing : do what you are good for, it just shifted from "hearing" to "carrot".

I suppose I misunderstood the many ears' problem. Maybe it was just : "Are the many ears only good for one thing ?".

In this case, the carrot can serve to show that the many ears can be useful for other things than hearing which will help other to search and pursue other subjects where they are good for.
I think the carrot is just the beginning of all grand scheme of thing.

Sure you got carrots as your new trademark, but there are so much that can come after that.

Perhaps selling only carrots will not do for them in the future, they need to find and research other profitable crops too? So more practice on Quan quan? Travelling to learn more about other crops? Boom! You got botanists.

Growing a lot of alluring food can attract a lot of wild animals and pests (and we have seen how crazy demon realm’s wildlife can be). Also what would happen if rogue demons heard about the “weak” and “submissive” many-ears folks are growing profitable crops now? Raid and robbery may happen, so they have to learn to defend themselves. Boom! You got warriors.

Also entering the competitive market need a lot of financial and marketing knowledge. They need to know how to fare well against much more grounded and experienced business… So you got those learn to become business men.

And like some comments said before, once they secure their income and land, they can have more time to branch off into other prefessions.

Dex-chan lover
So the many-ears are trading one small niche for another. Not the big W I expected. Kids with less mana than others will take the place of the black ears.

Has Iruma's obsession with high-class restaurants ever been hinted at before? That seems like a strange character twist to come out of nowhere with such force.
1. How are you missing the point this bad? Its an Avenue a Many-Ears can go down and it can be used as a way to support their own Economy. Nova is not advocating for this to be the sole job of their entire race.

2. Yes, Iruma has ALWAYS been shown to have and obsession with good food. Since like chapter 1. This is incredibly in line with his character.

Aggregator gang
I can't wait for people coming to demon's hospital with the many eared carrot lodged in their behind:pepela:

getting serious for a moment. this is kinda below expectations for what you can argue as the climax. probably because we already know from last chapter about the carrot.
i hope this is a false climax, and the climax of the arc is another chapter.
Same here, this "arc" was a lot faster than I expected and ended in a bit of a lack luster way if this is the end. One thing to note is how we technically haven't been chosen a king for the many ears, sure Nova was acknowledged but not fully given the okay. The message was gotten in this arc, but still feels like its missing more conflict

Dex-chan lover
Wait, are they going to base the many-eared economy in carrot exports only? Cuz you only need a carrot plague to fuck your kingdom's economy up lol

Dex-chan lover
what's special about the carrot though? It tastes good sure, but why can only the many ears provide it? I know it's called a 'many eared carrot' but does that mean it only has that quality if they grow it? If not, wouldn't other demons just take up making it themselves? What's to stop them from forcing groups of many ears into serfdom just to farm them?

This isn't the direction I expected this to take, and it feels a little half baked so far. But the series basically never disappoints, so there must be more to come.

Dex-chan lover
I appreciate the first plan didn’t work at all. Teaching wasn’t the solution and they didn’t even try to convince the parents differently. They just immediately tried something else. A little gaggy with how immediate it was with the carrot but I still enjoyed it

Double-page supporter
It's not like nothing happened in this arc
With a new way of life, The many-ears will no longer be forced to go to different places to make a living. If they continue to improve their new farming business (hopefully expland to other crops) it could eventually lead to the making of a country, and bring in more more opportunity for them. So this pretty much gives Iruma a passing mark for the Test.

Iruma also got something out of this arc, a Vision or at least an idea on what kind of Demon World that he wants to make. So far, Iruma's only reason in rising in the ranks is so he can find his ambition. Now that he's found it, I'm interested in how it develops since it is connected to Kirio (in terms of him having low-mana) and if he take Iruma's ambition literally (another human in the demon world) I wonder if it'll lead to a confrontation with Henri or Narnia.

all that being said...

I'm still kinda hoping there's more to this arc especially with the Mephisto part... It still feels unsatisfying to me...

Maybe I wanted a scene where the many-ears are more active in setting up this new venture, like Nova confronting Gramps by presenting this new plan of his before they brought Amuryllis; or at least seeing the many-ears themselves making new business dealings regarding their carrots later down the series.

Dex-chan lover
I’m hoping there’s further conflict cuz suddenly finding out you can make a carrot that solves all your problems is well…

Dex-chan lover
Lol, even Clara wasn't sure what to do with Iruma's sudden burst of passion regarding the restaurant 😂.

With this they'll have a practical reason to learn magic without making higher ranked demons feel threatened by them potentially throwing off the balance of things, since they want the carrots, which in turn means a snowball effect for the Many-Eared race to find other unique ways they can use their magic AND their increased hearing to stand out in demon society. It might just be a farm right now, but it's actually a solid foundation to help the Many-Eared race build a future that allows them to be their own independent body. They'll just need to remember to not put all of their eggs into one basket like they have with their hearing.

Dex-chan lover
So the many-ears are trading one small niche for another. Not the big W I expected. Kids with less mana than others will take the place of the black ears.

Has Iruma's obsession with high-class restaurants ever been hinted at before? That seems like a strange character twist to come out of nowhere with such force.
Yeah, he's been shown before to be quite obsessed with eating. His bottomless stomach was explained to be a habit from his human days when he didnt know when the next meal would be.

Iruma eating all yakisoba at Babyl's school festivals is a running joke (last we seen was enough yakisoba to fill a big closet) and he ate so much that the 13 Crowns was impressed during the dinner

Dex-chan lover
After reading some comments, I feel like some people kinda forgot the nature of these demons, they are very selfish and greedy, sometimes even uncaring, for example in walter park, when kids are trapped in rubbles, the demons won't help them because there is no benefit in doing so

For the many eared race whose only strength is their hearing, the only thing that they could do is to be a servant for high ranking demon. Unfortunately for them, because of the nature of the world, if their hearing falls short or their hearing is only slightly better than other demons or even decide that they don't want to be a servant, they could be destroyed since they have no use. Due to this, the kids and next generation has no choice but to train their hearing.

Now, this is where Nova and the many eared carrot comes in, since growing the carrots require the use of magic, this could train them to be more proficient with magic and gives them extra income. Instead of selling service, they can sell produce, this in turn allows them to have more time doing something else, since unlike talents, produce can be stored and managed properly, so as long as they are able to follow the demands, they are free to do something else. And with the approval of a high ranking demon, this could be an exclusive item that can be sold for a lot of money and can be sell with limited quantity, and since this is can only be cultivated by a many eared race, they run no risk of competition. with money and time, the many eared race no longer need to be force with only one path, this allows them to choose what they want to do, if they decide to continue their hearing training, they can do that, but if they want something else, they no longer run the risks of being destroyed.

Also, since this is approved by Amurylis, I highly doubt that the asmodeus clan will allow anything bad to happen to them. I think that rather than a servant-master relationship this could be a business partner relationship, where the many eared race provide better deal for the asmodesus clan and the asmodeus clan protect the many eared race.
And people forget the territory is on Mephesto's domain. So he will protect them too.

Users who are viewing this thread