Major Milestone Reached!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGR

Double-page supporter
@Holo
It always amuses me when someone addresses legitimate criticism (claims of sub-optimal search functionality to the point of it DDoSing the site when bots arrive) with "the hate squad has arrived". It just has a nice ring of condescension to it. Great way to have a meaningful discussion.

I prefer Mangadex from other sites, cause:
- there are groups that actively use it as their primary outlet
- the layout has next to 0 bloat and renders nicely in my browser (unlike some official release sites)
- navigation is smooth (or at least smooth enough)
- no ads/popups

But there is still a lot to improve upon and the dismissal of criticism does not bode well to having these improvements. Also you're boasting numbers when your alexa chart looks like it's been artificially pumped several times for reasons unknown - unlike stable trends for other competitor sites. Did anyone bother to address / identify the cause of the janky trends? Or maybe you know the cause and you're boasting about artificially pumped numbers for PR/morale reasons?

Miku best girl
Admin
@SGR

Of course we take constructive criticism on board, but the people who I was referring to have an agenda with us (basically they take every opportunity to hate on us, this is not the first time).

With regards to the dips in Alexa ranking, the most recent dip was related to the server instability due to the constant DDoSing/Cloudflare captchas that we had to deal with before the infrastructure upgrade.

つ◕_◕ ༽つ つ◕_◕ ༽つつ◕_◕ ༽つ Praised by the Lords of Dex つ◕_◕ ༽つ つ◕_◕ ༽つ つ◕_◕ ༽つ

remember that time in February when all english manga communities decided to lay of the manga for a bit.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@SGR We have pages and pages of planned features and changes taken from our suggestions forums. Our site is by no means perfect and we don't pretend it is. We read every feedback thread, consider every single one, and reply to as much as we can. The site is basically planned to be completely rewritten from top to bottom.

If any of the so called hate squad were interested in improving the site, they would have made a thread in our suggestions forums giving us a list of things to improve. But none of them ever have and likely never will. That group of users we're talking about in particular only criticize the site in announcement threads where the most people will see it and tell people not to use the site when they can.

Takes out a champagne bottle to celebrate
Congratz guys!! Thank you for all the hard work \(^0^)/

Dex-chan lover
@SGR nice job getting offended at that one comment and ignoring the rest addressing the issues

Dex-chan lover
I was a fan of Doki Fansubs even before MangaDex was created. When Batoto died, many people tried to create its successor, but when I saw MD and saw that it was made by you guys, I instantly knew that was the one to bet my money on. Glad to see that really paid off.

Double-page supporter
This spider is greatly pleased by the announcement released. I tried KissManga a couple times, and never went back. MangaDex and all the contributors has really helped me on some rough work days, and I'm greatful for that. The fact that the MangaDex team has released some parody manga explaining how the site works, and how to scanlate, is awesome as well. That not only educates newcomers, it encourages the growth of the scanlating community as well! Bless you all!

SGR

Double-page supporter
@Holo
@Plykia
It seems odd to me that other manga sites do not have any problems with DDoS (from the looks of Alexa trends at least). That alone suggest that it's not an issue of competition being underhanded - if it were, it would affect other competing sites as well. So the logical conclusion is that it's something with Mangadex alone. So it's either:
- a conspiracy among other sites to attack Mangadex (bullshit, if you ask me)
- a few script kiddies having a personal grudge against you (well if a few script kiddies can do this much damage - it's a problem with Mangadex)
- every site has the same problem, but Mangadex handles it significantly worse than others

The latter two cases point directly to a problem with YOU. If you fail to address it in a proper, sensible manner (especially @Halo), then it is a PR failure of the first degree.

It doesn't matter if they're the ones being antagonistic - if they have ANY point that you fail to address and then you go on to post stuff equivalent to "haters gonna hate" - then you've basically shown yourselves to either dismissing criticism or not having the capacity to handle trolls. As I said: a PR problem - which I am an example of, cause my mistrust increased slightly after all this talk. Why not address them thoroughly in a separate thread? Each point in detail, wall of text etc. Knock them down once and then just repost a link each time they try to use the same talking points again. Since you claim they're "haters", that implies that they don't have a point. If they don't have a point - it will be easy for you to refute anything they post that seems to be one. Wouldn't that be the more level-headed route to take instead of aggravated dismissal? Cause the latter simply doesn't look good - especially "in announcement threads, where most people will see it".

@Holo Man am I happy for you and the team, I'm glad I was able to help even if it was a super minor contribution during the building of the site with my crude scanlator repository when batoto went down and everyone was in limbo.

Crazy it's been over a year now since you guys brought up this site, I'm truly grateful for everything you and the team have done for the community. Here's to another year(and many more after!), don't push yourselves too hard. Btw, my offer to provide a home-based image server still stands, but it's pretty much moot at this point with how large you've grown 😂

Dex-chan lover
you know the problem with achieving this now there is group of people searching and waiting
for you to fall so they can jump to the next thing while you collapse into being just another Kissmanga,
readmanga, MangaCow and so on and so on I know that sounds pessimistic and cruel but its true
so the only thing I have to say on that note is. DON'T FORGET WHAT GOT YOU HERE!

Dex-chan lover
YASSSS!,!
IM SO PROJD OF ALL OF YOU!!
My irl friend recently found this site too, like 3 weeks ago.
I was like, wut. is this site really that popular...

BUT YES, IT IS!!,
WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
(*≧∀≦*)
\\\\٩( 'ω' )و ////
・:*+.\(( °ω° ))/.:+
*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*
(๑>◡<๑)

😍😍congratzzz yo hella proud of yall couldn't even believed a site like this could exist no ads and credit given when i first found this sometime early last year :'( 😍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread