Male/Female Protagonist tags [Rejected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
Currently reading "Saving 80,000 Gold Coins in the Different World for My Old Age" and now I want more bad isekai OP MC but female. These tags would help greatly in filtering searches. Also not every Shounen/Seinen has a male protagonist (Ex: Medaka Box) or Shoujo/Josei with male protags (Ex: Ore Monogatari). But what about series with multiple/no clear protagonists you ask (Ex: Fate/Strange Fake)? Boom: Ensemble cast tag. And no don't give me that "Would bloat tag list/More character tags would be requested/Too specific" stuff since Villainess is already a tag and it's a very specific character tag/subgenre of an already existing tag (Isekai) that argument holds no weight now.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Dex-chan lover
Well the gender they were switched into yeah? I wouldn't call Tanya from Youjo Senki or Mahiro from OniMai male anymore.

Dex-chan lover
Seems kind of pointless to me. Also I would like to avoid an oversaturation of tags but that's just me.
giphy.gif

Contributor
A simpler way is to ask mangadex user for recommendation or to search by tags on mangaupdates.

How would you tag Gender Benders? Same Gender bender tag we have now or male and female protag?
From what I've seen other sites do (though it's really up to the poster of the chapters) is that they either do what makes the most sense out of the story, or don't tag it. It is usually tagged as what the protagonist identifies themselves as.

Its 3 tags now then more people are gonna ask for their preferred tags next thing you know it's brimming with them. If they at least had some value id say go for it but to just differentiate the gender of the MC is useless.
I don't understand the worry on there being too many tags? The tags are up to the poster to use or not. The female/male tags are also used in a plethora of different manga reader sites. I do not understand what drawbacks there are to having a large list of tags? Please let me know, and maybe I will change my mind?

Though, I do say that the female tag is used more than the male. It is actually quite difficult to find a "strong female lead" in manga that isn't the generic shoujo.

I personally rather read stories in the female perspective. For example, I've been trying to find isekai adventure with a female lead. It's been easier for me to find it on other reader sites than mangadex, which sort of defeats the purpose - I might as well just read it there while I'm at it - is how I feel. If you have an idea of what tags I should be using on MangaDex to find stories like these, let me know! It would be hugely appreciated!

That isn't a good thing. Tags should be objective.
I agree. But it really is up to the person posting though, and whether they are good at tagging their stories or not. I see a lot of stories where I would change or use more tags if I was the one posting. Although it is not ideal, this is just how these sort of sites work.

But that wasn't what my point was about though, it was about how stories don't need to use tags that don't suit them. I feel that the worry over which tag you would use for non-binary is not an issue. I believe that the male/female tag wouldn't need to be used on those stories.

A simpler way is to ask mangadex user for recommendation or to search by tags on mangaupdates.
That sort of defeats the purpose of the filters and search function of MangaDex though. WIth that thinking, maybe MangaDex should just get rid of that section and everyone should just use a different site to find manga. Most times lately, since MangaDex doesn't have some filters that I often use (the most common being femle lead/protag), I've been having to go out of the site to find a large list of stories with a female lead. Then I end up just reading whatever on that other site.

Dex-chan lover
The biggest issue with new tag ideas is the need to track down ALL the titles that need to be tagged.
Villainess was a booming trend that a lot of people wanted search for (or hide) but it still consisted of few titles (compared to the majority of manga which have a male or female protagonist). It's too much of a "utopian" idea since nobody is gonna care enough to tag all stories with the protagonist's gender (therefore rendering the tag near useless)
I don't see the problem in searching for manga in other sites and coming to Mangadex to read them (or just keep reading them in other, inferior sites :smugnako:)

Dex-chan lover
That sort of defeats the purpose of the filters and search function of MangaDex though. WIth that thinking, maybe MangaDex should just get rid of that section and everyone should just use a different site to find manga. Most times lately, since MangaDex doesn't have some filters that I often use (the most common being femle lead/protag), I've been having to go out of the site to find a large list of stories with a female lead. Then I end up just reading whatever on that other site.
MangaDex is going to work on discoverability, they said so on the 5th anniversary post

The biggest issue with new tag ideas is the need to track down ALL the titles that need to be tagged.
Villainess was a booming trend that a lot of people wanted search for (or hide) but it still consisted of few titles (compared to the majority of manga which have a male or female protagonist). It's too much of a "utopian" idea since nobody is gonna care enough to tag all stories with the protagonist's gender (therefore rendering the tag near useless)
I don't see the problem in searching for manga in other sites and coming to Mangadex to read them (or just keep reading them in other, inferior sites :smugnako:)
Oh, you're right, that would be an issue. Booo, my dreams have been dashed.

If we could figure a way around that, I bet it would be a super popular way to search though. You can tell just by all of the threads asking for the female/male protag. Though I do still feel that the female tag would be way more popular than the male :LOL:

Contributor
That sort of defeats the purpose of the filters and search function of MangaDex though.
These tags are kinda spoilery, and Mangadex staff don't want this kind of tags. I wasn't against your idae I swear, it's the opposite !
I like to read stories with a female protagonist.

And I was suggesting/recommanding you to find your manga on Mangaupdates, the website is especially made for this feature and after finding your manga you can search here on Mangadex.

Last edited:
I made an account just to voice discontent with this comment thread. :pout:

Why tf is it even relevant to mark Male?
You only need a Female Protagonist tag.
It's not complicated. Even Steam uses a Female Protagonist tag. The default assumption is already that protagonists are male, and Female Protagonist is a mandatory tag for people like me who are primarily interested in reading female protagonists, you know, not being a guy and all.

You're all making this unnecessarily complicated with irrelevant arguments just to avoid making life easier for women. The site would have had years to have slowly tagged Female Protagonists by now just as it came up judging by past threads that came up in the search, and in the mean time every new series would have been tagged in the mean time.

Half the population and there is a HUGE difference between Female Protagonists and generic expected Male Protagonists. This is a major categorization to willfully ignore and dismiss as irrelevant, seems inherently misogynistic to me, passively or actively.

... That is all, now I hide... :notlikethis:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread