MangaDex@​Home and other important updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@alifanfaron What happened to seperating the author from the art? He doesn't make any money from mangadex so there's no "moral reason" to take this down.
Besides, if "the author is an offending pedo" is an excuse to take Act-Age down, then why is Rurouni Kenshin, Toriko and dozens of other manga still on this site? It's a shitty argument and you know it.

Contributor
Ugh.. I've seen worse news. but I dont expect i've underestimate it.

This came so abruptly, even good news seems faded into nothingness...

As anime and manga becomes increasingly popular and lucrative among the mainstream, the anti-piracy efforts will ramp up to close of Western TV and Movies.

You’re setting a dangerous precedent removing six large titles and bending over for Viz so they can shill their terrible official TL’s.
Within the next few years, I predict most of these sites will start getting an ungodly amount of complaints from legal teams. And there’ll be busts in the fansubbing scene carried out by large companies like Viz and Sony.

If you’re site isn’t prepared to take and stand up to heavy legal threats. I suggest you take it down and let another site succeed it.

At the end of the day, you guys are committing copyright infringement on a massive scale. And I predict that a lot of people in this community (manga and anime ripping and fan tl’s) are going to be persecuted within the next few years.

You can flip it whatever way you want it, but merely publishing the raws, even edited. Is against the law.

But hey, if you want to argue fair use in court with a multi million dollar distributor in court, I’m all for it.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
How fucking weak Mangadex. The whole point of the site was to offer a way to give credit to scanlators and not profit off the ads from aggregators but guess where banning the manga will lead people back to. The pirate sites again. Don't try to act better than KissManga or Manga rock cuz this is still a pirate site.
HHHHMMMMMMMMMM

I don't even understand the legal stuff, i just think some of your (plural) responses are funny.

What's that Brazil Russia and China? Can't hear you very well. Oh, you're saying it's impossible to extinguish digital piracy.

That's some really bold statement, care to put some actual effort into proving it?

(of course they will)

Contributor
@Hebiwoku

So your argument for why MangaDex shouldn’t take down those titles is because... they’re still relatively small and can be capsized with a legal threat if they don’t comply?

It’s like, I get it. People expect this to be a one-in-all manga stop. People keep bringing up the quote from Gabe Newell about how piracy is a service issue and not a money issue, but the fact is that MangaDex *has* inspired change. Half of the titles that were requested for removal are now updated simultaneous to the Japanese release, and can be read in almost every country in the world for free. Four of them can be read in their entirety for $2 a month. A couple years ago, people had to wait for volumes if they wanted an official release.

The sheer fact of it is that while we’re a long ways away from a Steam or Crunchyroll for the manga world, we’ve gotten further than anyone expected to be. Right now, MangaDex isn’t just important because of all the mainstream “popular titles” that we have, but also for series that, either due to copyrights or lack of interest, may never be licensed at all. I may not agree to the copyright claims, but if removing a couple series that are already licensed and can be easily read elsewhere means protecting this site, then by all means. We may see ourselves as a group of noble Robin Hoods bringing manga to those who can’t enjoy them, but at the end of the day we’re still pirates. We’re still on the immoral side of things.

Also people must have goldfish memory here, because Bato.to had the same issue, but it kept chugging along. The reason it shut down was lack of interest from its creator, and as we’ve seen now that’s not the case here.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for all the work @Holo!

On the takedown notices: I'd much rather Dex keep going than Dex have everything on it. Especially true for cases where there's easy access to the legit sources that I'd rather be using anyways, to support the creators. But even for series that don't have such ready english access, if the choice is "can't find them on this site" versus "risk that there is no more MD" the choice is pretty clear to me. There will still be plenty of series that only ever get fan translations and aren't at risk of getting DMCA'd, and MD is by far the best way to access those.

Regarding One Punch Man, isn't it free in Japanese? If someone is using the Japanese version for a fan translation, doesn't that fall outside the purview of the English publisher?

Contributor
Is there a chance that scans return someday due to for example change of hosting/servers/etc?

Contributor
@mdgtpope

While the MD team stated they received a takedown notice, they did not mention from whom. Assuming it was Viz, they are partially owned by Shueisha, OPM’s Japanese publisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread