MangaDex Two Year Anniversary

MangaDex Two Year Anniversary

• I would prefer that MangaDex stayed ad-free and I would donate cryptocurrency to keep it that way.

Votes: 707 15.2%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex stayed ad-free and I would donate a server ($50-$90/mo) for MangaDex to

Votes: 473 10.2%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex used affiliate sponsorship to sustain itself.

Votes: 1,045 22.5%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex used non-intrusive ads to sustain itself.

Votes: 2,424 52.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
Affiliate sponsorship and non-intrusive ads would be the best way to go.

Double-page supporter
Oh does that mean my donation in late December just went to a locked account?

@Sailor_Waifu
It's seriously inconvenient you know?

I'm personally against the ads, even non-intrusive ones, because it really goes against why MangaDex was set up. Of course, between no ads-no MangaDex or some ads- MangaDex is up, I'd choose the ads, but I would rather donate cryptocurrency.

Now, on that note, I think it would be VERY wise for MangaDex to set up a guide for newbs who wanna know how to even begin touching crypto and to also accept earnable crypto like BAT (which you can earn through viewing ads on the Brave Browser which would allow MD viewers a CHOICE to view ads and STILL keep MangaDex ad-free).

I'd mentioned it sometime last year in Discord, but how viable is it to setup an Amazon affiliate link? If you link to the manga on Amazon, or wherever, the publisher gets their money and you get a (tiny) kickback.

Contributor
Personally, I would rather find ways to donate monthly than see ads of any nature on this site. I suggest looking into ways to simplify crypto conversion for former donators.

Sponsorships/ads are a major slippery slope. Give them a finger and they'll take the whole hand, as it were.

Fed-Kun's army
Would it be possible to use the Basic Attention tokens from the brave browser. Id donate tokens as I passively get them off of seeing non intrusive brave browser ads.

VIP
I would prefer sticking with a way to doing regular donations like you did before. I at least think that more research could be done to find a something you could use for payment processing, like https://openach.com/ (found with a quick search, I'm sure there are more), or as yanrishatum said, a way of allowing users to donate money that is then converted to cryptocurrency.

The important part would be ease of use on the user end.

I don't care about ads that much since I use tachi BUT I also don't want them on my favorite site on the internet. I hope that even if admins will go with ads they will take crypto donations too because I would donate that way. And I am not a crypto fan.

Staff
Admin
@Darkmeep

As someone who donated you should've received an email from us covering that. If not pop onto Discord and have a word with Holo.

Edit: Checked. And apparently all funds were transferred to us.

Fed-Kun's army
If you have to put ads, which i hope you don't make it so donators dont gets ads.

From what I understood (correct me if I'm wrong) ..they can't accept direct donations anymore for legal reasons.
So that's why they need a different way for it.

XOP

To be completely honest, I probably wouldn't go trough the hassle of donating bitcoins. That said, I really would rather not have ads on the site, and if there were, I have NoScript and uBlock always active, so...
If there were, however, a good guide on how to go about procuring bitcoins, and then transfer, then I, and probably a lot of others, might well consider that as an option.

Why not both non-intrusive ads AND donations actually? I'm actually fine with both, though it's understandable that people would really hate ads while they are reading.
You can put lower than before amount of money on the donation tab while put just barely enough ads to cover the rest.

I'd like to click the first option in the poll. But if this were the approach to be taken, MangaDex absolutely *needs* a tutorial/how-to on how setting it up works. Yes I know I can google, but I feel like this is such a risky topic (crypto) that many people are too overwhelmed by it, or afraid of doing something wrong and losing money, to go out and research on it themselves.

Also, if ads are going to be it: Absolutely do not put them so they're visible during the chapter. Between chapters, an ad page, I wouldn't mind. Constant ads during the chapter itself? Hell no.

I would rather not have to setup a crypo account somewhere to do this, but if that's what needs to be done...

Is there's an easy recurring crypto payment option similar to what paypal had? My favorite part of that was I could set it up once and never look at it again.
If there's an option to do that for cryptocurrency, I'll probably set it up eventually, but if it requires my attention every month, I will probably procrastinate my way to sending nothing.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Adowrath @XOP Yeah, we would write the guide easy enough for anyone to follow if people want us to go down the bitcoin route.

Well everything depends on the implementation of ads. I'm sure most users wouldn't mind some small ads on the sides while browsing, but as soon as we get into the territory of pop-ups, any ads that appear while reading or, heck even just ads that are obnoxiously bright or flashy and distracting it's just not a good solution anymore. I'd assume most users will either use adblock and some may choose to stop using the site entirely if the ads are annoying.
Maybe a feature that disables ads if you donate would be nice?

Group Leader
I usually don't post... but from my experience on how batoto went with ads, they never successfully blocked intrusive ads. Sometimes it was like a DDoS by ads... and even with good faith I don't think it's doable. I guess only shady ads are ok to be on a piracy website...

Option 2 is... hard to use, it's a big price and I don't feel it is sustainable and futur proof.

Option 1 seems the best, or at least the less worse... even me I'm not confortable in using cryptocurrency, may be it's doable if a "simple and preferred" way is promoted, with tutorials... I don't know :/

not even concidering option 3... I don't even think it's doable and seems too risky.

edit: seems I took too much time to write 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread