MangaDex Two Year Anniversary

MangaDex Two Year Anniversary

• I would prefer that MangaDex stayed ad-free and I would donate cryptocurrency to keep it that way.

Votes: 707 15.2%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex stayed ad-free and I would donate a server ($50-$90/mo) for MangaDex to

Votes: 473 10.2%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex used affiliate sponsorship to sustain itself.

Votes: 1,045 22.5%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex used non-intrusive ads to sustain itself.

Votes: 2,424 52.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Supporter
I would prefer a donation based option but if ads are implemented onto MangaDex, it would be nice to still have a premium membership based program available to reduce the number of ads or remove ads altogether. Such as paying $5 a month (or whatever amount would help cover the normal revenue generated from ads).

Regardless of what is implemented, I'll prolly continue to use MangaDex to satiate my manga reading needs. xD

Dex-chan lover
I chose number one hoping that I can figure out this newfangled crypto currency.

As a casual reader, I'd prefer to have ads that people can opt out of. I don't mind ads, as long as they're not super intrusive, so it'd be a way I can support the site despite not being able to donate currently. (I get that some people don't like them, but at this point it's standard on most sites, and if you can opt out of them, then they hopefully won't be affected)

This is a hard decision for me, that all come with their pros and cons, so it's hard to pick one. In all honesty, I am not huge fan of ads, because they love to track data and are an easy gateway for malware to invade.

I think that option 1 should be there even if you go with other options, a small landing page with some wallet address is not problematic.

About the others option, what about doing similar to what e-hentai did, using peer2peer: https://ehwiki.org/wiki/Hentai@Home

This could, at least, reduce the cost on the server and I bet a lot of people would be glad to help (like me)

Aya

Group Leader
Ads are the best option because people using ad blockers + supporters are completely unaffected. 😎😎😎😎😎😎

But a combination is always possible. I don't care whether or not there are ads, but only allowing crypto donations ain't the best, though. Ignoring the last announcement, there's probably some way you can allow regular currency donations in addition to whatever solution is picked! You don't want to shoo away people who won't care to use crypto. Even less people trade crypto than the number of people who trade stocks and options.

But then again, the $4200–7560 in annual server costs since is not that much money. One or more people shouldering all that is of course the best option, if you can find people to do it for free. And 258 people so far have claimed they can donate a server for free! Easy lifetime funding secured.

Cryptocurrency and server donations are way too much hassle. I wouldn't mind ads, though I personally would not be subject to them, since the internet without an adblocker in general is insufferable.

So I voted for affiliations, though I have no idea if that could even work.

Dex-chan lover
Several questions,
1. How viable are ads if they are kept to outside manga pages?
2. How viable are ads, if they can only be turned on optionally by accounts holders and guests?
3. Are there any specific industries that MD would only accept ads from?

Obviously the ads should be free of malware too and I doubt MD has pursued the ad option far enough to know exact answers to the dot points above, but I think its worth to consider later on if ads are chosen as the way to go.

If there was a way to do a monthly donation through subscribestar or the like I'd be up for it. I know there's the issue of not wanting to have the total donation amount made public, but even a credit card donation method would work.

Non intrusive ads wouldn't be bad but given that just about everyone has an ad blocker these days I don't know how much could be raised. On the other hand, the anti ad-blocker thing on sites tends have a bad habit of spazzing out and flagging you even if you've got the site whitelisted so I'd definitely be against that as you'd probably lose more traffic than the increase in ad revenue.

Come to think of it, would the nexus mods style of revenue raising work. i.e. non-intrusive ads which can be removed entirely via donation.

Contributor
1) Honestly, the affiliate idea shouldn't even be on the poll, as that should always be available as an option, if you can find those willing to support (like Path Network).

2) I agree that if you were to write a good guide for the cryptocurrency, including which sites you consider reputable enough to work with, would be a good option.

3) Direct covering of servers would be good as well, since it covers the direct costs. Only issue is knowing that someone can keep it up.

4) Ads, while many support the idea of non-obtrusive ones, should really be a last resort. Even ad-blockers are not necessarily able to block all of them, and if they aren't triggered, you may not get income from them.

You can add me to the list to assist with server costs if that is the route you go, or contact me through the notification system if a more "direct" donation is needed per monthly basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread