MangaDex Two Year Anniversary

MangaDex Two Year Anniversary

• I would prefer that MangaDex stayed ad-free and I would donate cryptocurrency to keep it that way.

Votes: 707 15.2%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex stayed ad-free and I would donate a server ($50-$90/mo) for MangaDex to

Votes: 473 10.2%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex used affiliate sponsorship to sustain itself.

Votes: 1,045 22.5%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex used non-intrusive ads to sustain itself.

Votes: 2,424 52.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's hard for me to donate, I chose the 4th option, but if it was more easy for me to give moneys I would've chose the give cryptocurrency option

ads its ok for me, at least it doesnt interrupt me while reading manga or some shitty popups.
Goodluck Havefun and stay healthy for MD's staff!

Would have be nice if we have the option to choose to donate a portion of our own pc as a part of the server. Like what E-H team H@ home I wonder if it's a possible option for MD?
Ed: sorry the tagging. But that's what they call it there

Contributor
I would say ads are the easiest option. My only concern is with the content on MangaDex. My understanding is that ad networks can get picky on what is shown on pages with their ads, or at least good ones that are not intrusive nor malicious. I don't want MangaDex to be censored in anyway. I fear for a future where this website will have a 'blacklist' of series or themes that cannot be uploaded due to their content.

Why not sponsorship? What're the downsides?
and why transfer to cryptocurrency is is a hassle?

Sorry for can't fully understand the situation..

Group Leader
None of those options are good, introducing ads makes mangadex no different o other sites especially kissanime, i made mangadex home to my reading and translation work because it had a no ad system. introducing one would be like betraying my expectations and would make Mangadex no less then other sites.

The only 1 good option i say is give us with proof of how much it actually costs to run and open patron and have categorized donations starting from $1, $5 a month onward. and you well easily win our support.

A mix would be fine unless DMCA comes knocking because of it of course.

However in the case of ads as long as they are not super intrusive and are hand picked and moderated. Ads on especially mobile is known to be very intrusive and slogs down the site massively for mobile users. Such as ads that redirects you to another site when you didn't even try to click on an ad, banner ads that intrude when reading chapters/pages, ads that has audio or video (which is a huge cause of lag), ads that basicly eats your devices performance. Aggregate websites do this a lot and even scanlation groups' websites do (banner ads you can't remove at the bottom of screen when reading chapter) this and it ruins the reading experience a lot and I would not support Mangadex ever again if that ever happens.

Intermission ads would probably be ideal like in between chapters that act like another page. I.E Ad pops up after the last page of chapter 1 and you see an ad page within Mangadex, hit next page and now on chapter 2. Banner ads are fine as long as they don't appear in reading chapters and pages themselves. And of course limiting them to front page is fine too just no video/audio ones or ones that redirects you to another site for just clicking on a chapter to read.

edit: Also what @ZinnKid says.

Please do not use ads that tells you to follow their guidelines to censor content.

I know these are very specific requests, but it would make many of seeing Mangadex on the same park as aggregete websites thus losing our trusts if these types of ads run rampant.

Aggregator gang
I voted for the server thing, cause I would totally be willing to set up like, $200 a month of AWS credit and forget about it. Considering the time I spend on here in a given month, that would still likely be less than $2 per hour.

But as has been said, I’d be just as happy to follow a crypto guide

Dex-chan lover
i wish i had much money so i could help with donation and such
but i don't
so i couldn't

right now, i just wish i could continue reading pirated manga without destroying my PC
because i don't have money to buy replacement

Been reading replies for the past 3 hours and there’s a lot of good ideas. I don’t like ads (but im not using adblocker, bec idk how to and too lazy to set it up) but if its for MD, I’d be more than willing to view it. I like the idea to have a seperate page (Support Us-ish) to view all ads so that it won’t be all around the site. Or just ads in one place, not suddenly popping out whenever you click something.

But can ads be the last option? Like if the other three didn’t really work out, then ads it be. I would be also willing to try donating small amount monthly if there would be a simple tutorial and safe. Merch is also not a bad idea (tho its gonna be more work i guess) and I will buy merch!!

Also, this may be a long shot but is there no other way like loophole we can use so that we can still pay thru paypal or patreon, etc. Like it’s not directly named for MD but thru other person who can set up a blog or something. I don’t know if its feasible and its quite risky too. But i just wish for MD to keep being user friendly!

Lastly, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! Thank you for the hardwork of everyone to keep MD a haven for mangareaders for the past years. I hope we can find a solution that everyone can be satisfied or compromised about. Whatever it will be, I will be supporting your desicion because I like reading manga and the community here 😂❤️

This is really tough. None of the options are good.

The bottom two are the same in the end. And while I don't think a few ads will destroy everything, there's no guarantee that's how far it will go in the long enough. I rather try to stay away as long as possible if possible.

Cryptocurrency would allow MD to continue on its policies while spreading out the costs, but I am extremely worried enough will donate with crypto.

That leaves server donation option. I'm leaning to that the most. It allows MD to continue on it policies and far less likely of failure versus relying of crypto donations. Though at the same time, if a failure does happen, it will be more dramatic. And it seems it really mean relying on a few major "patrons". The option is donating a server at a $50-$90/mo rate, not $5/mo Patreon donations or even $10/mo Netfix subscription.

But I do like the server donation the most in terms of what I personally want. But it also feels like one of those "put my money where my mouth is". Else I'm just voting to say I want a white knight sugardaddy to cover us.

Is there any 5th option possible? I read Paypal is no longer possible, but is that the only way to allow people to send cash? Rather than a few big hitters shoulder $50-90, can one do a Patreon and spread out the costs like an average of $10/mo per Patron?

---

And one other thought, maybe a "combination" approach is better. An all crypto donation reliance is vulnerable that not enough people may bother to donate. A Server donation system means relying too much on a few big hitters. And relying all on affiliates/ads could eventually leads to too many affiliates/ads and ultimately betray MDs most cherished goals. But having some servers covered by a few big donors, a few servers covered by crypto, and some affiliates sponsorship cover the rest can protect if one source fail to do enough. Have you consider that approach?

---

Edit: Reading the previous posts, I guess Patreon is not an option. I presume other websites won't be much better. Of the option, I will note if push come to shove, I guess I can afford putting money where my mouth is. I don't have a real excuse like some here of still being a kid or just broke. I am adult and making a comfortable living. I am able to afford it. Would prefer more in the $20/mo range similar to all the subscription services these days, but I'll help if it needs be.

Supporter
The poll should really have a 'control' option, e.g. "Find another potential solution."
some people won't want to do crypto
most won't be able to (or be willing to) donate a server
some may not care if Mangadex is affiliated with someone else, or may be worried about what may come out of this affiliation
no one wants ads (I am sure most people picked this because they plan to just ad block them away XD)
I am sure you (the staff) are trying to find another way to solve the funding issue to make it more convenient, and thank you for your hard work. I just think the poll could have had one more option for those of us not satisfied with any listed option (although I voted for the crypto one myself, it will be a pain in the ass, but if I REAAAAAALLY need to do it...)

I'm a long-time lurker (registered 1 day after MD was announced!) and use MangaDex nearly every day - mostly via tachiyomi -- I had no idea there were financial concerns. I'm sure it will be figured out eventually!

Edit: Had some time to think and sleep on it and I may be able to help cover the whole bill, will PM!

Custom title
Staff
Developer
You guys do realize that sites like Patreon etc would kick us out the second someone reports us

Also, a reminder that just because the ads option is leading at the moment it doesn't mean that's automatically the route we'll take above any others. We're taking this poll as a means to gauge interest (or disinterest) towards the options and plan our strategy from there. It may unfortunately come down to ads in the end, but for now, at least this thread seems to be showing that the site probably wouldn't immediately implode if that happens.

Group Leader
@rdn lol so you're a developer and a part-time poet? That's quite the combination 🤣
Return meme
ReasonableLonelyJuliabutterfly-size_restricted.gif

About the options, let's do some pros and cons (+ possible ways to resolve):

1. Cryptocurrency
Pros:
+ Users directly contribute, so there comes a great sense of nakama!
+ Costs spread out rather than burden a select few.
+ A continuation of the previous method, which seems to work well up til now (afaik...).
Cons:
+ Present a learning curve (personally I don't have a clue) --> teach us, how 'bout another series of Bocchi-sensei! Teach me Cryptocurrency! lol.
+ Unsure if sufficient --> let's put it to a test (1-2 months?).

2. User-funding Servers
Pros:
+ Users' contribution - nakama!
+ There are generous patrons that already express their wishes to lend a hand (a HUGE Thank You to them!)
Cons:
+ A little too much burden for a select few --> (I'm not sure about this but...) what if we do paypal and patreon to them?

3. Affiliate Sponsorship
Pros:
+ Take into account that not all users can donate.
+ The supreme form of non-intrusive ads.
Cons:
+ May not even be possible --> Manga no Kami-sama, o'negai...

4. Non-intrusive Ads
Pros:
+ Availability - there seems to be no problems to find "sponsors".
+ Sufficiency - with millions of users, costs are easily covered.
Cons:
+ Conscience - hurt the site's reputation (it'd be like Robin Hood tries to take a penny for himself) -- still, if the site remains to be the most friendly to scanlators and users, which is another point that makes MD stands out among others, then I have no problems.
+ Complexities of ads implementation - users have different "preferences" over how ads should play out, it'd be pretty hard to find a way to satisfy most. -- if ads were to be unavoidable, I guess we'd need another poll on that...
+ The future - who knows...
o58e56Jl.jpg

Congrats! I've read manga for six years, mostly on agg sites. Glad I finally discovered MD last year and had an ethical awakening. Stay true, MD & staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread